flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 5, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #3,061 of 39,411
It's more likely that it's a structure (3D-printed?) that combines the two spouts into one tube.

That's a fair point, it does look like it in the photo (the dark grey part). 64 Audio and VE employ this method on their higher-end models as well:

Vision Ears VE6

VE6.jpg

64Audio A18

A18_Clear_OBCK_grande.jpg

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #3,062 of 39,411
Piano and violin are good instruments for test. Violin especially, can easily be hurtful to hear, or muffled depending on the tuning.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #3,063 of 39,411
Can't wait until next week to see the one that gets most hype falls on the 3rd rank, either A18 and Zeus will kick the dirt, just my prediction.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #3,064 of 39,411
Can't wait until next week to see the one that gets most hype falls on the 3rd rank, either A18 and Zeus will kick the dirt, just my prediction.
My grandma will do a handstand if A18 falls next. It just sounds good in all frequency, and there isn't much to find fault in. The Zeus has an average bass, but exceptional midrange.

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #3,065 of 39,411
My grandma will do a handstand if A18 falls next. It just sounds good in all frequency, and there isn't much to find fault in. The Zeus has an average bass, but exceptional midrange.
we will see

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #3,066 of 39,411

Implications from @proedros's data and @flinkenick's insight would have something to say about that. But, that is, of course, considering Nic's Top 3 placings remain the same as it did a couple of months ago. With a Top 3 like that, a change of heart wouldn't be unlikely.

Aug 5, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #3,068 of 39,411
We need pictures!

Aug 5, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #3,069 of 39,411
Will you promise to post the picture? I really want to see

Aug 5, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #3,072 of 39,411
The reviewer enjoys mid forward signature I have noticed. Zeus will be Number 1
Nope, I don't think so, this is not a biased reviewer . He doesn't prefer that if you know Nic. The Prelude got the 4th rank because of many other things in combination.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #3,074 of 39,411
I'm still impressed by the sight of all those drivers in that shell. Must have been one hell of a job to figure out how to place them all effectively.

The 3D-printed structure they've built probably made it significantly easier as the 16 mid-and-bass drivers look like they're simply 2 clusters of 8 drivers. The high-mid and the tia high drivers are both near the bore, and because all of them share a single bore, it really takes the "your canals won't fit the sound tubes" problem out of the equation. It seemed quite simple in my head, but typing all this out just made it click how long it must have taken 64 Audio to come up with all this. You're right @Wyville :D

But, then again, the Rhapsodio Infinity does have 20 BA drivers in it, so it mustn't be that hard :wink:

Aug 6, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #3,075 of 39,411
The 3D-printed structure they've built probably made it significantly easier as the 16 mid-and-bass drivers look like they're simply 2 clusters of 8 drivers. The high-mid and the tia high drivers are both near the bore, and because all of them share a single bore, it really takes the "your canals won't fit the sound tubes" problem out of the equation. It seemed quite simple in my head, but typing all this out just made it click how long it must have taken 64 Audio to come up with all this. You're right @Wyville :D

But, then again, the Rhapsodio Infinity does have 20 BA drivers in it, so it mustn't be that hard :wink:
18 drivers you say? Easy peasy! :p

Hadn't heard about the Infinity, must check it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back