Flexible PCB Ribbon prototypes?
Nov 29, 2008 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

smeggy

Member of the Trade: ThunderpantsTP1
I know a few here have had circuit boards made either as prototypes or small runs but has anyone ever had flexible PCBs made (flexible circuit ribbons) or know of any reliable places that may do this? The reason I ask is that I'm looking into the possibility of making some ribbon isodynamic drivers along the lines of the old Wharfedale Isodynamics. I've found some sources of high energy flexible magnets that can be cut/punched/drilled and formed to shape. If I can get a set of flex PCBs made I'll be good for prototyping the drivers.

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 5
I made some ribbon/planar phones using flexible laminates for my ribbons a while back.
Still got my old Wharfdales too!
Getting thin enough laminates in small quantities can be difficult.
Check out this companies distributors closest too you.
Nippon Steel Chemical Group

You will need to look for the thinnest copper on polymide [adhesive-less] you can find.

I have attached a pic of my driver, though the ribbon i ultimately used has a lot less traces on it.

Good luck , it is a fun project to do.

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 5
Try Samtec, i was gonna have some flex circuits done by them for a work project, but it took a different route so never got them made.
I have used a lot of their other products though, which have been very good quality.
No matter who we had quotations off they were all quite expensive unfortunatlly.

Nov 29, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 5
Hey setmenu, long time no see
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know if you've been following the ortho thread at all but after three long years I finally found a set of Wharfedales. I refurbed them and now they're as good as new. It's great to have them again after all these years! Awesome phones and design too. That's why I want to see if they can be reproduced in any way. It's nice to see you kept up with your ribbon drive, you were the inspiration to try this but I thought you had dropped off the radar long ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by setmenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I made some ribbon/planar phones using flexible laminates for my ribbons a while back.
Still got my old Wharfdales too!
Getting thin enough laminates in small quantities can be difficult.
Check out this companies distributors closest too you.
Nippon Steel Chemical Group

You will need to look for the thinnest copper on polymide [adhesive-less] you can find.

I have attached a pic of my driver, though the ribbon i ultimately used has a lot less traces on it.

Good luck , it is a fun project to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back