FLC Technology - New FLC 8N - Impressions Thread
Aug 19, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #61 of 304
I've had the Massdrop Plus and the FLC8N has a much more responsive mids and treble with better clarity. The bass seems tighter, too. Overall, I'm glad I switched over to the 8N.

The Massdrop is very comfortable, though and I don't think I ever had to adjust the seal as much as I'd do with the 8N

Aug 26, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #62 of 304
@Flcforrestwei

Currently trying the FLC 8d and liking its sound so far! For the future, please consider making a matte black option for the 8n/8d or for the upcoming dynamic driver series =) Or a silver color is fine too, just prefer something which stands out less than the bright blue options. Also, if the nozzle could be made angled, I think that would further improve the ergonomics and comfort!

Aug 26, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #63 of 304
“When I first put in the FLC8n, I thought, “That sounds just like the 8s.” Which is good, since I quite like the 8s. But as I went back and forth between them, I knew I had misjudged the situation. 8n is a clear upgrade on all fronts. It is the 8s, just more so… and better. Good job FLC!” . a review at other website.

Aug 26, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #64 of 304
@Flcforrestwei

Currently trying the FLC 8d and liking its sound so far! For the future, please consider making a matte black option for the 8n/8d or for the upcoming dynamic driver series =) Or a silver color is fine too, just prefer something which stands out less than the bright blue options. Also, if the nozzle could be made angled, I think that would further improve the ergonomics and comfort!
Thanks for the suggestion, we'll made the bore angled next product.

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #65 of 304
The correct way to wear FLC8n IMG_20180827_152008.jpg

Aug 28, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #66 of 304
@Flcforrestwei

I wonder if you have the same issue I have. My ear canals angle upward - not horizontally into my head, so while I think they should fit nicely in the concha bowl like this:
straight.jpg

they actually end up a bit more like this:
angled.jpg

I've noticed this with several IEMs, including the KSE1500. I don't know if I have atypical ear anatomy or others find this issue too? This is a pretty minor issue for me though. I still find the FLC8N ergonomics better than that of the FLC8S.

Aug 29, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #67 of 304
Hey @csglinux

Since you now have both flc8n and xelento with you which one do you like more?

I read that flc8n is more v shaped and xelento is also v shaped according to crinacle rankings. Btw i know you have given a tie to flc8s and xelento so i got curious. I also want to know if flc8n with it's increased resolution(claimed by some reviewer on other site) can match xelento's resolution or not.

I personally don't think flc8n can match xelento's resolution because of the huge price difference but i still want to know your opinion on this.

Aug 29, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #68 of 304
Hey @csglinux

Since you now have both flc8n and xelento with you which one do you like more?

I read that flc8n is more v shaped and xelento is also v shaped according to crinacle rankings. Btw i know you have given a tie to flc8s and xelento so i got curious. I also want to know if flc8n with it's increased resolution(claimed by some reviewer on other site) can match xelento's resolution or not.

I personally don't think flc8n can match xelento's resolution because of the huge price difference but i still want to know your opinion on this.

I'm not sure the price of a headphone is a good correlation with SQ. Price is only really a good indication of placebo effect (which won't work if you don't see the sticker price!). E.g. Utopia MSRP = $4000. KSE1200 MSRP = $2000. There's a big difference in resolution and clarity between the two, but not in the way you'd think, going just by sticker price :wink:

Here's my concern with all these nebulous reviews claiming they've heard things they never heard before with any other headphones. Of course you'll hear things you've never heard before. If you listen intently, you'd near something you'd never heard before even with some of the early pairs of Beats by Dr. Dre headphones. And if your new headphone has a bit of a bump at a certain frequency, it's even more likely that that part of the spectrum is going to stick out and expose something you may not have noticed before. But that's not necessarily a good thing. Nasty resonance spikes don't make for a fun long-term listening experience.

I don't want to pick on any individuals here, but some of the recent reviews I've read on the FLC8N could have been written by Steve Guttenberg - the world's most naked Emperor. Here's an example of his nebulous nonsense: "Putting on Satriani’s Shockwave Supernova, Joe’s guitar solos soared and delivered tone, growl and bite. On Chicago II’s Movin’ In, Peter Cetera’s bass digs deep down the fretboard with solid, clear and low bass, while Walter Parazaider’s flute flairs as the intensity of the track rises. On the Dave Brubeck's “Three to Get Ready”, the alto sax was breathy and had that rasp of reedy vibration." You can literally cut and paste this type of crap into a review of any headphone. It tells a potential buyer absolutely nothing.

It's tough to rank these headphones, because they all have strengths and weaknesses, but if I had a gun to my head, I'd probably go with:

Xelento = FLC8S > FLC8N

Xelento and FLC8S are really, really close in terms of my own preferences. The one downside (for me) with FLC8S is that it's sometimes a little too bright-sounding because of the broad resonance peak from about 7-9 kHz. (Your mileage will vary with respect to those peaks, in fact, with a frequency sweep, I tend to hear them at slightly higher frequencies than my coupler measures them - it all depends on ear-canal anatomy.) The one downside (again, this is just for me) with Xelento is it's sometimes a little thick sounding on account of a fairly heavy mid-bass. It's a very tough call, but I find I spend more time with the Xelento just because it's more comfy. As for the FLC8N, I prefer its ergonomics to that of the FLC8S, but it has a tendency to sound even brighter than the FLC8S, on account of still more energy in that ~7-9 kHz region. Will people hear more details with the FLC8N? Almost certainly. It'd be great for those with hearing loss where the consonants in speech (~8 kHz) are starting to get lost. I've not experimented enough with different eartips - and it's possible that foam tips will tame those lower trebles, but they also tend to tame/kill the upper treble, which is where most BA-based IEMs seem to struggle.

I would be very cautious of nebulous reviews, especially the "unbiased" ones that were written in exchange for free merchandise. How much air somebody else claims to hear from Walter Parazaider’s flute is never going to be any kind of substitute for listening to the headphone yourself :)

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #69 of 304
I'm not sure the price of a headphone is a good correlation with SQ. Price is only really a good indication of placebo effect (which won't work if you don't see the sticker price!). E.g. Utopia MSRP = $4000. KSE1200 MSRP = $2000. There's a big difference in resolution and clarity between the two, but not in the way you'd think, going just by sticker price :wink:

Here's my concern with all these nebulous reviews claiming they've heard things they never heard before with any other headphones. Of course you'll hear things you've never heard before. If you listen intently, you'd near something you'd never heard before even with some of the early pairs of Beats by Dr. Dre headphones. And if your new headphone has a bit of a bump at a certain frequency, it's even more likely that that part of the spectrum is going to stick out and expose something you may not have noticed before. But that's not necessarily a good thing. Nasty resonance spikes don't make for a fun long-term listening experience.

I don't want to pick on any individuals here, but some of the recent reviews I've read on the FLC8N could have been written by Steve Guttenberg - the world's most naked Emperor. Here's an example of his nebulous nonsense: "Putting on Satriani’s Shockwave Supernova, Joe’s guitar solos soared and delivered tone, growl and bite. On Chicago II’s Movin’ In, Peter Cetera’s bass digs deep down the fretboard with solid, clear and low bass, while Walter Parazaider’s flute flairs as the intensity of the track rises. On the Dave Brubeck's “Three to Get Ready”, the alto sax was breathy and had that rasp of reedy vibration." You can literally cut and paste this type of crap into a review of any headphone. It tells a potential buyer absolutely nothing.

It's tough to rank these headphones, because they all have strengths and weaknesses, but if I had a gun to my head, I'd probably go with:

Xelento = FLC8S > FLC8N

Xelento and FLC8S are really, really close in terms of my own preferences. The one downside (for me) with FLC8S is that it's sometimes a little too bright-sounding because of the broad resonance peak from about 7-9 kHz. (Your mileage will vary with respect to those peaks, in fact, with a frequency sweep, I tend to hear them at slightly higher frequencies than my coupler measures them - it all depends on ear-canal anatomy.) The one downside (again, this is just for me) with Xelento is it's sometimes a little thick sounding on account of a fairly heavy mid-bass. It's a very tough call, but I find I spend more time with the Xelento just because it's more comfy. As for the FLC8N, I prefer its ergonomics to that of the FLC8S, but it has a tendency to sound even brighter than the FLC8S, on account of still more energy in that ~7-9 kHz region. Will people hear more details with the FLC8N? Almost certainly. It'd be great for those with hearing loss where the consonants in speech (~8 kHz) are starting to get lost. I've not experimented enough with different eartips - and it's possible that foam tips will tame those lower trebles, but they also tend to tame/kill the upper treble, which is where most BA-based IEMs seem to struggle.

I would be very cautious of nebulous reviews, especially the "unbiased" ones that were written in exchange for free merchandise. How much air somebody else claims to hear from Walter Parazaider’s flute is never going to be any kind of substitute for listening to the headphone yourself :)

Very well said. I think your very own reviews are some of the most unorthdox ones i have had pleasure to read till date. They nail the signature quite well and are very easy to understand too. Your reviews are really a treat to read imho.

In that same site i read xelento's review too and they cleary said it is a totl material. But for flc8n they said it has better resolution then 8s and sounds cleaner with tighter bass. 8s is prone to sibilance and sounds peaky. Now this is something which does not goes well with your findings. I do understand that sound is subjective and everyone hears it differently but this is just too much difference, lol.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #70 of 304
Very well said. I think your very own reviews are some of the most unorthdox ones i have had pleasure to read till date. They nail the signature quite well and are very easy to understand too. Your reviews are really a treat to read imho.
Thanks for the kind words :)

In that same site i read xelento's review too and they cleary said it is a totl material. But for flc8n they said it has better resolution then 8s and sounds cleaner with tighter bass. 8s is prone to sibilance and sounds peaky. Now this is something which does not goes well with your findings. I do understand that sound is subjective and everyone hears it differently but this is just too much difference, lol.
Somebody is saying that 8s is prone to sibilance and sounds peaky, but the 8n doesn't?!?! Who said this and what were they smoking at the time? Can you point me to a link of this review?

Aug 29, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #71 of 304
Thanks for the kind words :)

Somebody is saying that 8s is prone to sibilance and sounds peaky, but the 8n doesn't?!?! Who said this and what were they smoking at the time? Can you point me to a link of this review?

Sure

Comparing to the older FLC8s, the new 8n is cleaner, clearer, with better resolution. The 8s has more grain and sounds peaky, perhaps more prone to sibilance. There’s a refinement to the 8n, felt all throughout the presentation. Better separation, more air, tighter bass, and greater beauty in the vocals. Indeed, this is a worthy upgrade.

Here is the link

Aug 29, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #72 of 304
Sure

Comparing to the older FLC8s, the new 8n is cleaner, clearer, with better resolution. The 8s has more grain and sounds peaky, perhaps more prone to sibilance. There’s a refinement to the 8n, felt all throughout the presentation. Better separation, more air, tighter bass, and greater beauty in the vocals. Indeed, this is a worthy upgrade.

Here is the link
Well, cleaner, clearer and better resolution is something that might well be perceived, because FLC8N has more treble. Can't argue with that part. But "8s ... sounds peaky, perhaps more prone to sibilance"? No. They're simply wrong on this point. Try saying "ssssss" into an RT FFT and you'll see sibilance is a 6 kHz phenomenon, and the FLC8N has more energy at 6 kHz than the FLC8S. It's very likely there's placebo effects creeping in here with these reviewers. We're all wired to expect more expensive or newer things to be better, and it's the oldest sales trick in the book to convince somebody that different = better.

BTW, the Xelento has a massive dip in its FR at 6 kHz. Coincidence? Could be. Who knows. :wink:

Aug 29, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #73 of 304

Xelento = FLC8S > FLC8N

Is that really a Steve Guttenberg quote?! That's so bad it's good again! I can't take his stuff seriously, but sometimes I like to read it anyway... This is why! (also I have a certain respect for somebody that admits that the music has nothing to do with it for him)
Also, very good point about reviewers hearing things "you've never heard before." This is something I've thought for a long time. I'm always glad to know I'm not the only one to think the way I do.

Regarding the 7-9kHz bump in the 8S: my (admittedly amateurish) understanding is that sibilance has more to do with distortion, either from the driver or in the ear, than it has to do with frequency amplitude. For instance, the in the DT 1990 thread, there was a "discussion" about whether or not the DT 1990 is sibilant. There is a definite bump in the 8kHz region, but to me it sounds perfectly refined; others were adamant that it's sibilant. You admitted that you're particularly sensitive to the 7kHz-9kHz; could it be that you're hearing distortion where others aren't? It seems to me that if frequency amplitude causes sibilance, then simply turning up your music would cause pretty much anything to sound sibilant, no?
Anyway, my point isn't to call into question your hearing or ability to review (at all), but to hear your understanding of it, and hopefully offer a different understanding of it (if it turns out my understanding is valid).

Aug 29, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #74 of 304
Is that really a Steve Guttenberg quote?! That's so bad it's good again! I can't take his stuff seriously, but sometimes I like to read it anyway... This is why! (also I have a certain respect for somebody that admits that the music has nothing to do with it for him)
Also, very good point about reviewers hearing things "you've never heard before." This is something I've thought for a long time. I'm always glad to know I'm not the only one to think the way I do.

Regarding the 7-9kHz bump in the 8S: my (admittedly amateurish) understanding is that sibilance has more to do with distortion, either from the driver or in the ear, than it has to do with frequency amplitude. For instance, the in the DT 1990 thread, there was a "discussion" about whether or not the DT 1990 is sibilant. There is a definite bump in the 8kHz region, but to me it sounds perfectly refined; others were adamant that it's sibilant. You admitted that you're particularly sensitive to the 7kHz-9kHz; could it be that you're hearing distortion where others aren't? It seems to me that if frequency amplitude causes sibilance, then simply turning up your music would cause pretty much anything to sound sibilant, no?
Anyway, my point isn't to call into question your hearing or ability to review (at all), but to hear your understanding of it, and hopefully offer a different understanding of it (if it turns out my understanding is valid).
I don't think of sibilance as distortion - it's just certain fricative consonant sounds being very pronounced: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibilant.
Typically like an over-pronounced "s". I hope this isn't a slippery synonym slope :) IMHO, it's something that's already there on the recording, but if one particular part of the frequency spectrum gets a boost, you'll hear it more than you should and it sounds a bit unnatural. I could be treble sensitive, for sure, and others will hear things differently, no doubt about that. But of all the headphones I've owned (way too many to count or to tell the wife about), the FLC8S is on the brighter side, and the FLC8N is even more so. That's not to say others won't prefer the FLC8N. But no question, the FLC8N has a lift in the 6 kHz region, responsible for the s-sound.

Aug 29, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #75 of 304
Ah, okay. I think I'm understanding. Maybe distortion isn't quite right, on my part... So, just an emphasis in that particular region? Maybe what I'm thinking of is more like "stridency" within that frequency range, wherein that tone becomes harsh or grating. I've always disliked the example of sibilance of being like when a "sh" sound becomes "s." To me that sounds more like pitch shifting.
If you'll forgive the example, there was a guy that used to come into my job who made a whistling sound with every "s" he pronounced, and I found it very grating. I always thought of that as sibilance, but maybe it's stridency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back