FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #7,861 of 7,931
As I mostly listen to classical and instrumental music, I have now discovered that the Green filters in combination with narrow bore tips give me the most accurate and realistic timbre to pianos, stringed instruments and brass. I am a happy camper!!

May 3, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #7,862 of 7,931
As I mostly listen to classical and instrumental music, I have now discovered that the Green filters in combination with narrow bore tips give me the most accurate and realistic timbre to pianos, stringed instruments and brass. I am a happy camper!!
This is one of the first posts that I have seen where the Green filter is preferred. I find them overly bright but glad you like them.

May 11, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #7,866 of 7,931
Looks like Sennheiser has copied the design of FLC8S with their IE900 flagship, interesting.

Haven't they already used this design on the IE 400 and other releases such as the IE 300 and IE 100? Either way, to me the IE 900 look different enough from the FLC8S, and honestly except for the better integration of the removable cable, more standard ergonomics, better (more protective) carrying case and seemingly better (but still not worthy of the price) cable, I don't see how the IE 900 would be an upgrade over my IE 800, especially at this price point (the treble tuning looks a bit nicer on paper, but not nearly twice the price as nice).

On another note, it's generally getting ridiculous (and definitely not in a good way) in the recent years with exorbitantly priced single dynamic driver in-ear releases. Unlike several multi-BA and hybrid IEMs in the four-digit or higher three-digit $-price range, I have yet to hear a set of more expensive single dynamic driver in-ears that are much superior in terms of technical presentation (that's actual resolution and not mainly tuning gimmicks (here the HiFiMan RE2000 come into my mind - equalised to a more realistic tuning, their wow factor suddenly disappears and they aren't any different from any other lower-priced decent enough sounding dynamic driver in-ears)) when compared to really nice single dynamic driver in-ears such as the Fostex TE-02, iBasso IT01, Fidue A65, Etymotic's ER2 models and others.

May 11, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #7,867 of 7,931
Haven't they already used this design on the IE 400 and other releases such as the IE 300 and IE 100? Either way, to me the IE 900 look different enough from the FLC8S, and honestly except for the better integration of the removable cable, more standard ergonomics, better (more protective) carrying case and seemingly better (but still not worthy of the price) cable, I don't see how the IE 900 would be an upgrade over my IE 800, especially at this price point (the treble tuning looks a bit nicer on paper, but not nearly twice the price as nice).

On another note, it's generally getting ridiculous (and definitely not in a good way) in the recent years with exorbitantly priced single dynamic driver in-ear releases. Unlike several multi-BA and hybrid IEMs in the four-digit or higher three-digit $-price range, I have yet to hear a set of more expensive single dynamic driver in-ears that are much superior in terms of technical presentation (that's actual resolution and not mainly tuning gimmicks (here the HiFiMan RE2000 come into my mind - equalised to a more realistic tuning, their wow factor suddenly disappears and they aren't any different from any other lower-priced decent enough sounding dynamic driver in-ears)) when compared to really nice single dynamic driver in-ears such as the Fostex TE-02, iBasso IT01, Fidue A65, Etymotic's ER2 models and others.
I think FLC8S got toe to toe with IE800, so IE800 was already not a value proposition. IE900 is IE800 with better tuning and removable cables and a new housing that perhaps is giving it an upgrade in technical aspect as housing plays a huge role in tuning acoustics. Still there are many DD fans out there whom Sennheiser is targeting but I totally agree with you on price, should not have exceeded $1k barrier. Personally I would like to have maybe 1 DD flagship in my future collection.

I used to have ER2XR, really good value for all DD fans but I would personally pick FLC8S over it any day mainly due to speed.

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #7,869 of 7,931
Are these still a good purchase in 2021? Also what’s the difference in the n and s model’s?

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #7,870 of 7,931
Are these still a good purchase in 2021? Also what’s the difference in the n and s model’s
Vent design and slight tuning variation. Some say N is the upgrade to the S.
D does not have a front vent. Here’s a detailed analysis

Tuning and technical wise, is one of the best in mid-fi and punches above its price. It’s an extremely great buy at its retail value, and considering that second hand prices are around $100 or so.

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #7,871 of 7,931
Jul 11, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #7,873 of 7,931
So after using the Fiio FH5 for a while, the cable went out and I went back to the FLC 8s - I noticed the highs are soo much better, the bass is better too, more defined and lower. This is really an awesome unit. I still have a 8D which I never used because it shipped with a 2.5mm cable and I never was able to find a cable that fit for it.

Anyways the issue with my FLC8s is that the left driver volume has gone down, and I have to set the balance on my player more to the left to get a balanced sound. Has FLC stopped really producing units? Could I send the drivers back to forrest (is he still around?) to get them repaired. Is it worth purchasing a set of the 8N or 8p? I think FLC seems to have some of the best sound. I really did like the FiiO cables though - was sort of sick of cables dying every few months.

Thanks for all the help!

Jul 11, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #7,874 of 7,931
Vent design and slight tuning variation. Some say N is the upgrade to the S.
D does not have a front vent. Here’s a detailed analysis

Tuning and technical wise, is one of the best in mid-fi and punches above its price. It’s an extremely great buy at its retail value, and considering that second hand prices are around $100 or so.
Where can I pick up second hand models of these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back