FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #3,241 of 7,931
I remember hearing better timbre on the Titan-3  (vs. dn2000 and Flc8s)...with that said, to be able to design a competent and well balanced is nothing of amazing for a hybrid IEM.

btw, I try and log on via my cell and head-fi is giving me forbidden access...what gives??   ?:s

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #3,242 of 7,931
Have to disagree on this. Though I enjoy FLC8S so much, but I think phonak's and grado's gr10 mid are better than flc8. Imho.
i have the pfe 122 and tried 232 and gr10 extensively.it depends on what type of mids u r looking for. For upper mids, flc8s is better :p

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #3,243 of 7,931
Personally I find a lot of talk about "this is superior to that" quite amusing given that:

1. Everyone has different anatomy (which will change freq)
  2. And then they will combine with different tips (which will change freq)
  3. They will have different insertion depths (which will change freq).
  4. And listen to different music on different DAPs which could change frequency, tonality or both
  5. And listen at different volumes

Combine that with:
  1. 36 different tuning options with the FCL8S - so what combination is "better"?

And
  1. Everyone - has different preferences on what they listen to, how they listen, and what they prefer in terms of tonality

I think the strength of the FCL8S is in it's versatility.  But saying a certain aspect of it is better or worse than an alternative is like saying blue is better than red 
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #3,244 of 7,931
Personally I find a lot of talk about "this is superior to that" quite amusing given that:

• Everyone has different anatomy (which will change freq)
  • And then they will combine with different tips (which will change freq)
  • They will have different insertion depths (which will change freq).
  • And listen to different music on different DAPs which could change frequency, tonality or both
  • And listen at different volumes

Combine that with:
  • 36 different tuning options with the FCL8S - so what combination is "better"?

And
  • Everyone - has different preferences on what they listen to, how they listen, and what they prefer in terms of tonality

I think the strength of the FCL8S is in it's versatility.  But saying a certain aspect of it is better or worse than an alternative is like saying blue is better than red :wink:
thats true to a certain extent mate but surely you can say the noble k10 is superior when comparing it to a kz iem :p

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #3,245 of 7,931
I need a good aftermarket cable terminated with balanced RSA/ALO for the flc8 that accentuates the bass more. I don't want more treble though. I don't think silver is what I want though, too bright I'm sure.

Any ideas?

I just received the Null Audio Arête cable. It's not balanced but perhaps they can make one for you? Pins seem to fit fine.

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #3,246 of 7,931
I just received the Null Audio Arête cable. It's not balanced but perhaps they can make one for you? Pins seem to fit fine.
Hi all, the stock flc8 cable is a true 4 conductor cable that said , if you can solder, you can put any balanced end on it you choose! i removed the stock 3.5 and added my own 2.5 trrs for my ak daps!

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #3,247 of 7,931
thats true to a certain extent mate but surely you can say the noble k10 is superior when comparing it to a kz iem
tongue.gif

Haven't heard either.

But then according to that analogy - surely the SE846 must be superior to the FLC8S

More expensive
More drivers
More tech (in the bass port)

See what jumping to illogical conclusions does?

To someone who absolutely loves the KZ tonality and fit, it may well be superior (for them) to the K10.

All this talk about FCL8S having better mids, or better bass, or better treble (or whatever) is just very funny when:
 - it is variable based on which filter you use
 - it is totally subjective depending on individual preferences

Rather than talking about better or best - isn't it better to talk about strengths and comparative differences - and let individuals decide if one is better than the other?

Just my 2c

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #3,248 of 7,931
Haven't heard either.

But then according to that analogy - surely the SE846 must be superior to the FLC8S

More expensive
More drivers
More tech (in the bass port)

See what jumping to illogical conclusions does?

To someone who absolutely loves the KZ tonality and fit, it may well be superior (for them) to the K10.

All this talk about FCL8S having better mids, or better bass, or better treble (or whatever) is just very funny when:
 - it is variable based on which filter you use
 - it is totally subjective depending on individual preferences

Rather than talking about better or best - isn't it better to talk about strengths and comparative differences - and let individuals decide if one is better than the other?

Just my 2c
definitely what you say makes sense.there are many factors that can affect the sound you are listening to as compared to what others listen. Of course, drivers count does not determine the fidelity of the sound and a reason why my best iem IMO is a single BA. Given that I have budget iems too, I know that it is not a positive relationship between price and performance. However, indeed there are some cases where A is better than B but subjected to personal preferences, despite that we all can agree that certain iems are being more superior to other iems that is of course assuming one has heard many iems therefore is able to come to a conclusion. For example, a beginner would say the kz iem is the best iem i have listened to compared to a seasoned audiophile who will say that is the worst. In conclusion, it all depends on the exposure you have to iems. The more you try, it will be easier to distinguish the fidelity of the sound as opposed to liking the sound signature but there are better iems with similar sound signature yet offering a better resolution.Cheers

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #3,250 of 7,931
Of course we all have personal preference, which leads us to choose what's best for us and make judgement calls. Isn't that a given?
yes agreed it will be boring if everyone has the same opinions and owning the same end game iem. Pertaining to Brooko's point, I would like to emphasise it is up to the amount of exposure the user gets thus he/she is able to make a call on why A is more superior than B.

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #3,251 of 7,931
Well, although the FLC8S has so many different possible combinations, I feel that they DO have a distinctive base sound signature. What the filters do is adjust the frequency balance, but they won't change the underlying tone, texture, and superior resolution of the FLC8S. You can still hear the character of the 8S under all that (it won't sound like a completely different IEM). No matter what filters you use, the FLC plays at a high very level, IMO. And that's why I like it so much; you can tune the sound to your liking and always get near TOTL quality!

Just my two cents. :)

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #3,253 of 7,931
Very temperamental photography product! Takes years off my life!

After several unsatisfied attempts using different set ups I settled with this:

Absolutely beautiful H2, even has my preferred filter set installed:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #3,254 of 7,931
Absolutely beautiful H2, even has my preferred filter set installed:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I wasn't entirely happy with the positioning of the right earpiece, particularly the tip looking squashed down.

By that point I'd had enough. Enough photo fun time for one day.

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #3,255 of 7,931
  Very temperamental photography product! Takes years off my life!

After several unsatisfied attempts using different set ups I settled with this:

How do you guys get the 100% white background?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back