FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Nov 3, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #106 of 7,931

I found adjusting the cinch with earpieces in next to impossible. Was able to move the cinch with earpieces out and cable laid flat on a table. Not the ideal situation, but then I also found the cinch doesn't un-adjust while wearing them, which is a good thing, no?

It's pretty thin though yea. I wrapped a wire tie a couple of rounds around the wires for my Delta and it holds well. Might work for the FLC8S cable too, seeing that it's coiled and knobbly-ish.

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #108 of 7,931
Black cable has softer bass? Honestly, that doesn't sound like a good selling point.

It depends what you like.
But like I said and it has to be stressed - differences are very subtle.
I did A-B tests with two pairs of FLC8 (old and new) and couldn't tell the difference on many songs until I've played Michael Jackson's Bad album.
Whether bass is more fluid or solid, softer or harder - it's more a matter of preferences than quality.
For me black cable sounds better, a bit more organic and natural - detal retrival and general qualities are almost the same on both.

BTW. LMUE sent me black cable for 30$ (incl. shipping) and I'm guessing blue cable would cost about the same.

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #109 of 7,931
awayeah: Ok, totally off-topic here, but since you brought up MJ...

I live in Portland, OR. ALO is in Portland, OR, so I headed over there one day to see if I could get an Rx amp to review. When I got there, Ken (whom I'd never met before) had the new Campfire Audio IEM lined up for me to try. Only one had been released. The others were still prototypes. Anyways, he asked me if I brought a DAP. Nope, because I wasn't expecting to test the CA IEM. So Ken hands me an AK380 to use with the CA IEM. Dayum! Then he said, there's a special remaster of MJ's Thriller in DSD I needed to listen to. I told him I don't like MJ, but he insisted I give it a listen. Holy Moly, it was so holographic I couldn't believe it! Sounds were popping out all around my head, and I was smiling and really jamming out to it. What a trip :wink:

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #110 of 7,931
Speaking of which. Finally got a 9V battery for the VE RunAbout amp and for the first time tried it with the FLC8S, and what a great pairing it is indeed. Makes the soundstage slightly wider, so huge but noticeably better. The VE RA has this extremely clean and black background making for a very detailed and clean reproduction.

Source is Audio-GD NFB-15.32 playing 44.1/16 FLAC through Foobar2K WASAPI.

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #111 of 7,931
  Speaking of which. Finally got a 9V battery for the VE RunAbout amp and for the first time tried it with the FLC8S, and what a great pairing it is indeed. Makes the soundstage slightly wider, so huge but noticeably better. The VE RA has this extremely clean and black background making for a very detailed and clean reproduction.

Source is Audio-GD NFB-15.32 playing 44.1/16 FLAC through Foobar2K WASAPI.

You also have an NFB-15? Good on ya!

Nov 4, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #117 of 7,931
By the way, LMUE got back to me. The braided cables can be purchased separately but stocks will only come in next month.

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #118 of 7,931
fwiw, my review
http://www.head-fi.org/products/flc-8-a-high-value-rich-sounding-iem-with-a-unique-tuning-system-but-only-moderate-isolation/reviews/12962

recommended tuning for classical and jazz acoustic
green, gray, gray.

green brings out the treble and detail, especially with strings and piano.  the gray filters give fuller orchestral sound than flc's recommended "string and piano" tuning.

using them out of a qp1r.  very, very nice.  

ps- using comply tx-400 tips for better isolation.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #119 of 7,931
fwiw, my review
http://www.head-fi.org/products/flc-8-a-high-value-rich-sounding-iem-with-a-unique-tuning-system-but-only-moderate-isolation/reviews/12962

recommended tuning for classical and jazz acoustic
green, gray, gray.

green brings out the treble and detail, especially with strings and piano.  the gray filters give fuller orchestral sound than flc's recommended "string and piano" tuning.

using them out of a qp1r.  very, very nice.  

ps- using comply tx-400 tips for better isolation.

I love the green nozzle for classical. Makes the treble "crunchy"!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back