FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #6,511 of 7,931
Aug 9, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #6,512 of 7,931
luckily i did have one spare black subbass filter.
i used superglue aaround it to its diameter expands and it becomes a tighter fit. if ure careful.enough, i'd recomment everyone to do it to prevent the filter from falling off

+ another neat idea, you can take a needle they use for taking blood to check for sugar.. its called a lancet (?) *i use it for pimple popping*. anyway, the ddelecate needles are thin af and u can use superclue on the needle to cover the hole of the transparent filter to turn it into the black filter and vise versa

and https://penonaudio.com/ indeed does have them. good find. but 50$? is that a good asking price?

i think it's a bit cheaper if you get those from LMUE.

Yeah, supply and demand.

Aug 9, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #6,514 of 7,931
can a 3.5mm cable with mic be balanced? or do they have to be without mic?

No, both mic cables and balanced cables are using four 'channels', as such, but in different ways. You'd need (at least) a 5th channel and a different kind of plug to have them both at once, which no devices would support.
I think it might be feasible to have a cable that can do either by choice, but both it and the device would need to be set up correctly, and I've not heard of anything doing this.

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #6,515 of 7,931
No, both mic cables and balanced cables are using four 'channels', as such, but in different ways. You'd need (at least) a 5th channel and a different kind of plug to have them both at once, which no devices would support.
I think it might be feasible to have a cable that can do either by choice, but both it and the device would need to be set up correctly, and I've not heard of anything doing this.
thanks for clearing that up.. to i got a cable from null-audio which is with a mic.. am i at a disadvantage in terms of the cable not being balanced? or does it not matter for cables or short (1.2m) length?

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #6,516 of 7,931
thanks for clearing that up.. to i got a cable from null-audio which is with a mic.. am i at a disadvantage in terms of the cable not being balanced? or does it not matter for cables or short (1.2m) length?

Most likely not. I don't think length is a factor unless we're talking much, much longer, or a very poor quality cable.
A balanced cable is useless without a device that can output a balanced signal - I mean I think it is very unlikely the cable would work at all on a non-balanced device, without an adaptor at least. If you don't know if you have a device that can output a balanced signal, you (probably) don't have one, because you'd (probably) know. You might want one in the future, in which case already having the cable would be nice - but you'd still need an adaptor in the meantime.
Really its a question of if you want to have a mic or not. I don't like them purely because I think many of them reduce ergonomics, and some just make for another point where the cable can break, but careful design can mitigate those issues. And obviously I don't care to talk while using my IEMs, and you may well be different.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #6,517 of 7,931
I found that LMUE typically quotes set of filters but in fact will work with you to ship what you need if you ask them nicely. Their prices are reasonable. I would buy from LMUE in general just based on how well they treated me with the FLC8S.

But Penon does offer express shipping which is super duper fast.

Aug 14, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #6,521 of 7,931
I don't notice any change in sound. The fit is so much better now due to the softer cable and the lack of memory wire, the stock cable keeps getting in the way.

Thanks for the tip on that Penon cable. Mine arrived last week.
Comfort is much better than stock and even better than the Null Audio cable I had from a year ago.

Aug 14, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #6,522 of 7,931
^
Interesting. Which NA cable did you have? I have both Arete (all nylon sleeved) and Lune (hybrid silicon/nylon) which are way better in terms of microphonics and comfort compared to the FLC8S Silver upgrade cable.

Aug 14, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #6,523 of 7,931
^
Interesting. Which NA cable did you have? I have both Arete (all nylon sleeved) and Lune (hybrid silicon/nylon) which are way better in terms of microphonics and comfort compared to the FLC8S Silver upgrade cable.

I have the Arete. I don't have the flc8s silver upgrade cable, so can't comment on that.
But, the Arete and the stock flc8s cable both suffer from a lack of flexibility IMO.

Eg: if I coil the Penon cable, it is supple enough to stay in exactly the shape I coil into, and uncoils with near zero memory retention.
Both the Arete and the stock cable try to uncoil like a wound spring, by comparison...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back