FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Dec 4, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #511 of 7,931
Just to chime in. The only other IEMs that have come close to the FLC8S is the Noble Savant and the new Jays Q-Jays. The FLC8 has the Q-Jays beat just slightly in every aspect, and the Noble from what I remember, have a slightly more effortless soundstage but the FLC8S are flatter with better tonality and note treble extension.

Thanks for that now I don't have the itch for the Savants. What I read about is it's reference quality but I was a bit worried that it might lack bass. If FLC8 is on par then I'm happy. :)

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #512 of 7,931
Interesting reading Savant. I found I preferred FLC 8S to most of the IEM in a CIEM lineup I tested recently. Maybe the 6 & 8 driver IEM edged it out but at a significant price increase.

Flcforrestwei:
giphy.gif

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #513 of 7,931
Thanks for that now I don't have the itch for the Savants. What I read about is it's reference quality but I was a bit worried that it might lack bass. If FLC8 is on par then I'm happy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Niether the FLC8S or Savant are bass cannons, what they have is superbly balanced reference type bass that goes quite deep. But with the Savant you just get one signature, where with the FLC8 you get several, and for nearly half the price. I bet you could make the FLC8S sound very similar to the savant.

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #515 of 7,931
I imagine Savant could be EQ'ed to increase bass quite a bit without distorting. That's what I found with CustomArt M2 - bass very responsive to EQ.

Haven't felt the need to EQ one bit with FLC 8S with red-grey-gunmetal. Simply excellent!

FLC8 responds very well to EQ as well. I didn't feel the need to EQ the Savant either but a boost in bass was very good for it for EDM. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #516 of 7,931
  Thanks a lot Forrest. I really appreciate it, very cool to have you around here!
Now I understand the design philosophy. 
The amount of control you have with the wbfk part of the twfk in reverse polarity with nozzle filters is clever.

Also I think what you meant when you talked about the "sound of teeth" at 5000hz is called sibilance.

Thanks for the sibilance!

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #517 of 7,931

Wow! That was insightful! It's amazing how much engineering goes into earphones. In my opinion, you guys have nailed it. I'm curious though; will there be any more tuning filters being developed for the FLC8 in the future, and also, will all future tuneable IEMs by FLC Tech have the same filter design making them interchangeable between the models?

In the future, we want to modify the tuning method to make it easier to tune.

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #518 of 7,931
Glad to hear that. It's the ED9 I've tried. People seem to rave about them. Really didn't like them much at all, personally...

The bass sound artificial to me.. The Tenore rave was real though. 
rolleyes.gif

I'm contemplating between the FLC8s and the UE 900s.

I'm probably gonna read up a bit more before I take the plunge with getting one of these.

Have not tried the UE900 before. But You might want to hear the FLC yourself if it is possible. Definitely a good buy imo. 
biggrin.gif

In the future, we want to modify the tuning method to make it easier to tune.

Cool, Looking forward to it big guy! 
gs1000.gif

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #520 of 7,931
UE900 is a step back from FLC. Not worth for their retail price.

Whoa! That's one hell of a statement :))

I can get both for the same price range. 

That being said, I take your comment, as well as Whaleshark12's comment very seriously.

Unfortunately I cannot try any of them before the purchase.  

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #521 of 7,931
hi, so ive had these for a few days now on tour and have some impressions that i would like to share. 

I first tried these on with the iPhone 6+ and thought they were quite clear and nice. this quickly changed by leaps and bounds with the Cozoy Aegis. WOW! 

However, I strongly dislike the ear guide/memory wire because it is oddly shaped, and totally not bendable at all. I also am quite confused by the options that I have and sometimes have trouble with the various choices. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #522 of 7,931
Whoa! That's one hell of a statement :))

I can get both for the same price range. 

That being said, I take your comment, as well as Whaleshark12's comment very seriously.

Unfortunately I cannot try any of them before the purchase.  

I have both the FLC8S and UE900S. At the same price range, I'll happily pick the FLC8S.

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #523 of 7,931
i have the flc8.  in the course of a discussion at theheadphonelist dot com ljokerl commented that my preferred tuning was very unusual in his experience.  i suspect that is because i only listen to acoustic music - classical and jazz.  my other iem's, ety4pt's, are also very good for my purposes, more isolating albeit not quite as rich in sq as the flc8.  given my apparently unusual preferences i would find it very hard to rely on reviews, and hard to purchase any iem that didn't have the tuning abilities of the flc8.   so i'll just stay happy with my flc8, ety4 and my full size headphones.

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #524 of 7,931
hi, so ive had these for a few days now on tour and have some impressions that i would like to share. 

I first tried these on with the iPhone 6+ and thought they were quite clear and nice. this quickly changed by leaps and bounds with the Cozoy Aegis. WOW! 

However, I strongly dislike the ear guide/memory wire because it is oddly shaped, and totally not bendable at all. I also am quite confused by the options that I have and sometimes have trouble with the various choices. 

You should be able to easily bend the memory wire. Can you elaborate?

Just stick with the following tuning filters, and you should be good:

SUB: grey or red
BASS: grey or black
MIDS/HIGHS: gunmetal or gold

Play with those a bit until you get it just right.
:beerchug:

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #525 of 7,931

Users who are viewing this thread

Back