Flawless albums
Dec 11, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #16 of 941
Flawless albums... are you sure you want to ask that question, because a lot of what I list are not mastered properly and are still better than most releases today.

Numero Uno: Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel - Nail

To say Nail is a masterpiece would be to undermine J.G. Thirlwell. This album is both simultaneously heart-pounding and racist, while taking any such meaning to be racist with a wry corner-of-the-mouth smile as to symbolize everything is only for the piss.
Number two through ten, well to hell with you, I picked my number 1, what the hell do the runners' up have to do with it?

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #17 of 941
Lamb Lies Down On Broadway   -  Genesis with Peter Gabriel's vocals jumps out at me a bit but Selling England by the Pound works too.  Not what i listen to much these days but when i pop it on with the "set up" it sure sounds awesome.  I am more into live stuff these days and they don't count, there is a Gabriel centered live box set from them though-early ears that also displays his incredible voice though.

Otherwise any Steely Dan studio fits great for studio stuff.

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #18 of 941
Quote:
I'm as big of a Radiohead(minus Amnesiac) fan as you'll find, but can somebody explain how Fitter, Happier is not a filler? It may accomplish something in the album, but it doesn't stand out by itself (in a good way) at all.

Bwaaaah! Why would you skip Fitter, Happier! It's so creepy and simultaneously pretty... and poetry. I wouldn't listen to it while driving or something, but laying in bed listening through the album that track is one of the highlights for me. Then again, Amnesiac is my favorite album, too. I would actually like to add Amnesiac to the "flawless albums" list, except that I prefer the kid a version of Morning Bell more. I would like to add The Offspring's Smash as a "flawless" punk album, apart from their semi low-fi recording. Maybe Bowie's Ziggy Stardust, Arcade Fire's Funeral, and Wolf Parade's Apologies to the Queen Mary. Oh, and of course Nevermind.

Dec 11, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #20 of 941
Bjork - Post
Rage Against the Machine S/T
Radiohead - Kid A
Weezer - Pinkerton
The Clash S/T
Blonde Redhead - Misery is a butterfly
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Bad Brains S/T

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #21 of 941
Silent Alarm - Bloc Party

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #23 of 941
A few of my favorites already mentioned, so I'll add this:

Mastodon - Leviathan

I personally can listen to most of their albums front-to-back with no qualms, but this one is undisputable. "Hearts Alive" is still one my favorite epics ever.

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #24 of 941
mentioning one no one brought up...might be HUGE disagreement but even though it's ten years old I can jam every one of the album's tracks all day long (and can't say that about their new stuff)

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

(ducks & hides) :)

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #25 of 941
That's a tough ask and one that requires a  high level of honesty with one's self (still obviously very subjective).  There are so very many that come close.  Many (of my) albums are too unusual or 'out there' to even consider for this, because they have very limited appeal to others so it is harder to judge their worth beyond very personal impressions.

So very few albums are a perfect ten and contain absolutely no filler.  My criteria would be that every single track is engaging and moves one to sing, dance, cry, ponder or laugh, and not to skip, ignore or otherwise dismiss.  A few to begin with:

The Beatles - Abbey Road (no, Octopus' Garden is not filler, it's a children's song and a valid one at that)
James Brown - A CD of JB - Sex Machine and Other Soul Classics
Coroner - Grin
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Ella and Louis
Jacques Loussier Trio - Satie
Morphine - Good
Morphine - Yes
The Necks - Aether (and other albums by this band ;c)
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
Radiohead - THE BENDS (a lot of you forget about this one, but on balance, this fits my criteria)
Shellac - Live at Action Park
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Of Natural History
Ween - Quebec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back