1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Flats vs. Reversed Bowls

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by buddha911, Aug 1, 2007.
  1. buddha911
    I've been playing around with my RS-1's bowls... With the stock bowls, I like the clarity and detail, but there just needs to be a tad more oomph. With revered bowls everything sounds a little slurred and sloppy and there's a lack of detail that came with regular bowls, but I like the overall sound signature a little better. So would flats be a nice compromise between reversed bowls and regular bowls? I know that nothing with offer the detail of bowls, but that's all right. Thanks [​IMG] (does that smiley have flats or bowls? [​IMG] )

I would use the search function, but I am too lazy to go through all those threads. And I would just buy the flats, but I'm somewhat broke after buying the RS-1s.

2. Meloncoly
    You might want to try reversed HD414 pads. Very cheap to obtain and very easy to mod.

3. adanac061
    When I had the RS-1 the whole pad madness caused me some stress, and in the end was a big factor in me selling it cause I couldn't stand the pad swapping..it's addictive[​IMG]

I'd say the reversed bowls is the most balanced.
    The flats have funky bass , but way less detail ..and colored mids.
    The bowls are technically better sounding , but the highs can be harsh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I've been playing around with my RS-1's bowls... With the stock bowls, I like the clarity and detail, but there just needs to be a tad more oomph. With revered bowls everything sounds a little slurred and sloppy and there's a lack of detail that came with regular bowls, but I like the overall sound signature a little better. So would flats be a nice compromise between reversed bowls and regular bowls? I know that nothing with offer the detail of bowls, but that's all right. Thanks [​IMG] (does that smiley have flats or bowls? [​IMG] )

I would use the search function, but I am too lazy to go through all those threads. And I would just buy the flats, but I'm somewhat broke after buying the RS-1s.

4. skellington
    Get flats! It's the only way you will get that hyper impact that Grado's are (in)famous for. I didn't rate the 414 or reversed bowls at all myself.
    Bowls or flats everytime; bowls for most types of music, flats for when you want the bass drum giving you a cauliflower ear.

5. buddha911
    Quote:

Originally Posted by skellington /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Get flats! It's the only way you will get that hyper impact that Grado's are (in)famous for. I didn't rate the 414 or reversed bowls at all myself.
    Bowls or flats everytime; bowls for most types of music, flats for when you want the bass drum giving you a cauliflower ear.

Thanks for the advice so far, everyone. BTW I don't want o think about that ^

6. Zorander Contributor
    My preference:

SR-80: Reversed Bowls
    MS-2: Flats

Each can 'synergises' differently with different pads so it pays to trial and discover on your own which pads you prefer for the RS-1.

Cheers!

7. biged
    I like reversed bowls on my modded MS-1s. For my HF-1s, I am still listening to them with bowls, haven't experimented yet with them.

Ed

8. carlineng
    Quote:

Originally Posted by biged /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I like reversed bowls on my modded MS-1s. For my HF-1s, I am still listening to them with bowls, haven't experimented yet with them.

Ed

I'm the exact opposite. Even though the reversed bowls are more up-front and have more "oompf", I prefer the clarity of regular bowls.