Flats , Bowls , or HD 414 pads?
Nov 25, 2008 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Laokid18

500+ Head-Fier
SR 60 pads hurt my ears ,which ones would sound best with my SR 60?

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 17
Its not the headband, the pads just irritate my ears and get hot in less than a hour.

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #4 of 17
The pads get softer with time. SR-60 pads are supposed to be more comfortable than bowls and flats.

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laokid18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR 60 pads hurt my ears ,which ones would sound best with my SR 60?

I use 414 pads with the SR60. The stock pads did seem to get hot quick. IMO the 414 pads feel better against your ears and don't tend to get too hot. I tried them with the SR225s and preferred the SQ with bowls for them, but for the SR60s it was a great fit.

I soaked the SR225 bowls for a couple of hours with warm soapy water then rinsed thoroughly and they did get a little softer. Don't know if that would work with the SR60 pads....

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 17
I used hair conditioner on my bowl pads. I'm not certain that it made them much softer but they sure do smell good.

rs1smile.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #8 of 17
I think of all of the three, the bowls are the least uncomfortable, in my experience. For the record, my experiences are with Alessandro MS-1s, not Grado SR-60s.

-Comfies get hot, and the foam touching the entire ear gets scratchy and bugs the crap out of me.

-Quarter-modded 414 pads, while providing better comfort and sound quality, press on my ears in the same itchy way as the comfies.

-Reverse quarter-modded 414 pads, while providing even better comfort and sound quality, are uncomfortable in their own way in that the rim presses against the tips of my ear, and smashes them against my head.

-Bowls provide the best sound quality to my ears, and, while not circumaural, do have rims which extend past the tips of my ears. There is still a bit of ear-tip smashing, but not nearly as bad as with the reverse 414 pads.

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think of all of the three, the bowls are the least uncomfortable, in my experience. For the record, my experiences are with Alessandro MS-1s, not Grado SR-60s.

-Comfies get hot, and the foam touching the entire ear gets scratchy and bugs the crap out of me.

-Quarter-modded 414 pads, while providing better comfort and sound quality, press on my ears in the same itchy way as the comfies.

-Reverse quarter-modded 414 pads, while providing even better comfort and sound quality, are uncomfortable in their own way in that the rim presses against the tips of my ear, and smashes them against my head.

-Bowls provide the best sound quality to my ears, and, while not circumaural, do have rims which extend past the tips of my ears. There is still a bit of ear-tip smashing, but not nearly as bad as with the reverse 414 pads.

I would concur with this view entirely, Bowls are definately the best SQ if your ears are man enough!
icon10.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 17
Bowls are the best sounding in my opinion. However, for me bowls are entirely circumaural. I need to use a small pad underneath the bowl to make them wearable. I use Senn px100 pads underneath. Comfy and doesn't change the sound.

Flats I don't like. The sound is much darker, bass boomier and sound not as airy.

HD414 pads are great sounding too, but I just like the way the bowls cradle the ear. Bowls seem more stable because pressure isn't put 100% on my ear but around it.

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #12 of 17
wow if bowls are completely circaumaural for you, they must sound very different from how they sound for me. Cause they sit right on my ears. I wonder if bowls offer you a warmer sound for this reason.

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD414 pads are great sounding too, but I just like the way the bowls cradle the ear. Bowls seem more stable because pressure isn't put 100% on my ear but around it.

When you say this, do you mean stock 414s?

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Flats , Bowls , or HD 414 pads?

I tried them all, and none of them were effective birth control.

Boy, are my test group pissed!

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #15 of 17
Horrible, bizarre, inadvertent double-post. Mea culpa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back