Flashlight-Fi (LED & Conventional)
Dec 12, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #241 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinvisionm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, i'm planning on buying the torch flash light. The Torch Flashlight - World's Brightest Flashlight from Wicked Lasers
Any comment? trying to buy as a defense tool
smily_headphones1.gif

You mean a weapon just short of a light saber, but isn't a light saber? FAIL. haha

You can replace the laser diode in a laser pointer with one from a DVD writer and accomplish the same thing with a much greater battery life than 15 minutes. LOL
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #242 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean a weapon just short of a light saber, but isn't a light saber? FAIL. haha

You can replace the laser diode in a laser pointer with one from a DVD writer and accomplish the same thing with a much greater battery life than 15 minutes. LOL
biggrin.gif

The flashlight kevinvisionm was referring to is indeed, a flashlight, and not a laser, further, it was a 100W halogen incandescent @ 4100 lumens.

Dec 15, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #243 of 828
Just got the TK40 and spiced it up a little bit:
IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2016.jpg

What's the point of having a flashlight, if you can't even find it in the dark!
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #244 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinvisionm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, i'm planning on buying the torch flash light. The Torch Flashlight - World's Brightest Flashlight from Wicked Lasers
Any comment? trying to buy as a defense tool
smily_headphones1.gif

That light is based on a Maglite mod produced by Cmacclel on Candle Power Forums known as "The Torch". I haven't read too many positive comments about the Wicked Lasers incarnation. As far as I can see, the general consensus on CPF is that your money is better spent building what is known as a Mag623, which is a Maglite modified to power an Osram 64623 100W bulb. A search of "Mag623" will reveal more but you will likely get better performance for your money.

I don't think such a large, heavy incandescent light would be an adequate self-defense item.

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #245 of 828
He can blind and perhaps burn his attacker perhaps(if he gets close enough), but only for 15 minutes. A tazer or even a handgun is better for self defense.

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #246 of 828
Make light, not war.

I am kind of new to the flashlight workings, later than the protozoa era and I just received the Fenix TK30. I have 2 18650's for my TK11 and 2 use it for work each and everyday.
However, I am totally confused on how to:
  1. use both batteries (with one, I get some lumens, otherwise, no light)
  1. I can only get strobe or single light but I can't cycle through all of the options
  1. I don't see original o-rings, are the replacements, the only o-rings?
  1. What is the "battery positive connector for?
  1. How do I cycle thought all of the a and B functions (allegedly, there are 4 separate ones). All I get is a single strobe and single light function
  1. Sometimes it works, and sometimes ii doesn't, maybe one battery bis dead...charging now

Also, On my TK11 the hex bezel screw 3/4 of the way down the shaft turns so that the flashlight cannot be turned on by accident, but on the 30, it doesn't move at all, is it just for looks? How do I go from 12 Lumens to 630?

Thanks in advance for any replies for those of you who have owned or operated this torch of epic proportions.

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #247 of 828
@Kevin, and any of those of you that own the Fenix TK30, could you flashlight non-challenged aficionados, please answer some of these questions?

What is the "positive battery connector" for, why do they include 4 o-rings when I don't see any in the unit. Am I supposed to install these myself?

Also, with 2 18650 batteries and the extension tube, I can only choose 2 modes. High (which I assume is the 630 lumens part) or strobe, but turning the tube underneath the bulb compartment , not by turning the head, as it says in the manual. According to the feeble manual, it says I should be able to go through 6 different modes, depending on whether I have 1 or 2 batteries in the unit, with or without the tailcap extension.
How do I get to "Searching or Hunting or camping mode. Are these just different modes that I can get to, depending on whether I use 1 or 2 18650 batteries?
That would still leave only 4 modes. 2 with 1 battery, and 2 with 2 batteries.
Is the positive battery connector supposed to be placed between the 2 batteries for better positive contact? Do I install the o-rings or are they replacements (I don't see any OEM).

Please be gentle with me and concise, as I am a flashlight newbie, and have only owned the Streamlights, and Maglights previous to this (although I use my TK11 everyday at work). Also, why would I want to use a strobe, unless I breakdown on the side of the highway, or want to confuse a deer, more than I am already confused?

Thanks in advance.
I'm so confused
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #248 of 828
immtbiker

Don't have one, but may be able to help you here.

The 'battery positive connector' is likely for using CR123s. Two CR123s are a bit shorter than a 18650 and some flashlights include them so that the CR123s will have a good connection or so that they won't rattle in a light also designed for 18650.

The light has 3 modes, each mode has 2 settings that can be accessed by tightening (Mode A) or loosening the head (Mode B). To change modes, go from A>B>A>B within 0.5 seconds.

Changing the number of batteries just changes how bright the light will be in each mode.

As far as strobe, proponents believe it's useful for disorienting other people. Why it's under Hunting Mode, I have no clue.

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #249 of 828
OK. So far so good. What about o-rings and how do I use double battery in low mode without strobe to have long battery life for times when 630 Lumens is not needed.
Do I need to disassemble flashlight and run in single battery mode without add-on tube, but still have stupid strobe option only alternative mode.

On the TK11, you just turn the head and it goes into "low" mode with 12 hour battery life instead of 15 minutes. It doesn't appear to do that on the TK30. It just goes into strobe mode.
If this is the case, how do you get into 3rd mode?

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #250 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Kevin, and any of those of you that own the Fenix TK30, could you flashlight non-challenged aficionados, please answer some of these questions?

What is the "positive battery connector" for, why do they include 4 o-rings when I don't see any in the unit. Am I supposed to install these myself?

Also, with 2 18650 batteries and the extension tube, I can only choose 2 modes. High (which I assume is the 630 lumens part) or strobe, but turning the tube underneath the bulb compartment , not by turning the head, as it says in the manual. According to the feeble manual, it says I should be able to go through 6 different modes, depending on whether I have 1 or 2 batteries in the unit, with or without the tailcap extension.
How do I get to "Searching or Hunting or camping mode. Are these just different modes that I can get to, depending on whether I use 1 or 2 18650 batteries?
That would still leave only 4 modes. 2 with 1 battery, and 2 with 2 batteries.
Is the positive battery connector supposed to be placed between the 2 batteries for better positive contact? Do I install the o-rings or are they replacements (I don't see any OEM).

Please be gentle with me and concise, as I am a flashlight newbie, and have only owned the Streamlights, and Maglights previous to this (although I use my TK11 everyday at work). Also, why would I want to use a strobe, unless I breakdown on the side of the highway, or want to confuse a deer, more than I am already confused?

Thanks in advance.
I'm so confused
confused_face_2.gif

I have the TK40, but not the TK30, and the two are totally different in UI, construction, and battery compliment, else I would have answered your first post. I could guess, but it would only be guessing. O-rings should be already seated on the light and the included ones should be extra spares.

Read over David's description of the TK30 and see what you can glean from it.
Fenix TK30 4Sevens.Com

CPF review

Another CPF review

If you want to give me a skype call, I'm sure we could figure things out in no time. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #251 of 828
Quote:

Do I need to disassemble flashlight and run in single battery mode without add-on tube, but still have stupid strobe option only alternative mode.

Change between the settings 3-4 times within half a second. That should bring you to the next mode. When you change between settings after doing that, you should have a high (~ 630) and low (~100) mode. Change between the settings 3-4 times within half a second again. After doing that, you should have a medium (~ 175) and lower (~12) mode when changing between settings. If you change between the settings 3-4 times within half a second one more time, it should bring you back to high/strobe mode.

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #252 of 828
Thank you Marvin and Kevin. I guess that Fenix figures, all flashlight lovers are CPF card carrying members
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #253 of 828
Using one of kwkarth's links, I translated one of the reviews that was in Danish, and got this info on the "positive battery connector" that came in the package. Learn something new everyday:

DSC_8921.jpg

A small piece of accessory, deserves a closer look, it's battery magnet. 18,650 batteries are available with and without raised positive terminal. Those without increased positive pole can not be consecutive, as they will not have a connection, it can be solved by putting a small magnet on the battery, to highlight the positive terminal. It will produce a small risk that there may be short circuiting the lamp body, which can cause the battery to explode.
The magnetic Fenix provide here, is isolated, so there is no risk of short circuits, thus it is possible to use batteries without closed positive pole in a safe manner.

Dec 18, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #254 of 828
Quote:

...I guess that Fenix figures, all flashlight lovers are CPF card carrying members
biggrin.gif

Isn't everyone?
atsmile.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #255 of 828
Good lord, looks like another of my 18500 batteries has just died. I was using my M30 and it just cut out. This is twice now, I'm getting pretty p*ssed off now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back