FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
Jul 31, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #16 of 1,354
@Arysyn your graph is what you want or what the Re800 measure?

Hi barondla,

The graph I posted here with the labels describing the various regions of the audio frequency response, is a graph I hired a graphic designer to draw, based on my specifications of what my ideal sound signature preference is. While it isn't quite so curvy-like in regards to that common aspect of audio frequency response graphs, it gives a general idea of it and I believe it does so quite well!

I'd love for it to someday get attention from a manufacturer and perhaps invite me to help them design an iem earphone based on this. I would learn a lot from the process of visiting the office where the design and tuning take place, being present step by step going through the necessary preparations of tuning and development of the driver design. I 'd prefer the physical design to be a bit longer than the Flares Pro, but generally the same bullet design, which I like best.

My sound signature is pretty much what it looks like though. While the small sub-bass hump of the FlaresPro graph concerns me, being its definitely not in my preference design, I'm thinking perhaps it won't be so bad considering the remaining bass of the FlaresPro mostly is slightly below neutral, sloping upwards through the mids, and having the vocals at the high point, along with the lower treble.

These are very similar aspects in contrast with my preference, and clearly are an advantage compared with the HiFiMan RE800. Flare Audio mentioned they are going for a live sound with these, so I'm assuming the fairly equivalent treble to bass will be plenty detailed and spacious, though I'm curious how this is going to be compared with the RE800, which has a bigger looking treble in the audio frequency response graph which Head-Fi Moderator, Brooko, produced.

Brooko's graph is very accurate in general, but I question HiFiMan possibly doing some slight alterations in tuning between regions. The RE800 I have, when not having its tuning altered by the Meridian Explorer2 I have which decreases some of the bass quality, along with slightly enhancing vocal forwardness and treble detail, otherwise without the ME2 my RE800 has less treble/neutral to slightly recessed vocals and more bass quantity than Brooko's graph shows. So either my RE800 has a slightly different tuning, or as some here have suggested, possibly the air vent is being blocked in my ears, which alters the sound in this way.

Anyways, I'll post Brooko's graph of the RE800 here, and the graph HiFlight posted of the FlaresPro, along with my graph again for direct comparison.

Re800_channels.png

Flares_Pro.png

iemearphone-audio-frequency-response.png

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #17 of 1,354
I think it might be welcome for people to cut and paste their initial thoughts on the Flares Pro's sound from the other thread if this one becomes the place for impressions.

All I can say is that they're better than the R2Pros , especially in detail retreaval, sub bass (!) and for me also, three-dimensionality. Still with that signature naturalness too that I found in the R2s.
.ahhh that sub bass.

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #18 of 1,354
Now I understand. Thanks.
Not talking you out of the Flares, I think you would like them. But, have you considered building your own IEMs? There is a diy thread at Head-Fi. The thread lists a website where everthing is available. IEM bodies, ba drivers, dynamic drivers, etc. You could put 4 ba tweeters in to balance out 1 dynamic. Whatever you want. I think it would be fun.

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #19 of 1,354
Alright, I just found the best hassle-free silicone tips pairing with Flares Pro. Final Audio E-type silicone tips:
http://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/000000110553/ct1587/page1/recommend/

They work kinda like spinfit but with thick stem that helps with the bass:
qWqHhh3.jpg

Good mids, no thin bass, no need to worry about disintegrating foam or mod, they're cheap compared to spinfit too. The only problem is that I have no idea how to buy one outside Japan as I got them from a friend.

Edit: oops didn't see the new thread, oh well.

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #20 of 1,354
Alright, I just found the best hassle-free silicone tips pairing with Flares Pro. Final Audio E-type silicone tips:
http://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/000000110553/ct1587/page1/recommend/

They work kinda like spinfit but with thick stem that helps with the bass:
qWqHhh3.jpg

Good mids, no thin bass, no need to worry about disintegrating foam or mod, they're cheap compared to spinfit too. The only problem is that I have no idea how to buy one outside Japan as I got them from a friend.

Edit: oops didn't see the new thread, oh well.

The spin fits worked for me so if similar think we're on to something.

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #21 of 1,354
I think spinfit's mid is a bit better while final's bass is better than spinfit without mod, but the difference isn't that large. You might want to take those tips a look if you're looking for more bass from the spinfit. :)

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #22 of 1,354
Ok a few more impressions....i agree with some statements on the headphonelist review i also agree with much more of the headphonics review .female vocals can sound slightly thin at times, the wire definitely has a lot of memory , I came across one or two examples where the sound stage was a little weird
There the negatives but they are very very minor in my eyes .

When these shine there amazing, as everyone who owns had said "sub bass" this to me is amazing never heard anything like it on an iem .
Also very clean sounding been comparing to planars which they reminded me of and yep to me it's the way bass and sound is presented overall it's very clean.
Great separation of everything, nothing seems to interfere with anything. average sound stage .
All in all for me a great buy and I'm glad I went for it , i would recommend these to anyone.

Jul 31, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #23 of 1,354
Now I understand. Thanks.
Not talking you out of the Flares, I think you would like them. But, have you considered building your own IEMs? There is a diy thread at Head-Fi. The thread lists a website where everthing is available. IEM bodies, ba drivers, dynamic drivers, etc. You could put 4 ba tweeters in to balance out 1 dynamic. Whatever you want. I think it would be fun.

I'd really like to make my own. It would be best if I could find someone to help me work on it on the intricate design apects, while I deal with the tuning, as my disability probably would make it impossible to do the driver placements and thin cord connections, but if I could tune through a program, that certainly would be great.

One thing I had in mind, is when I heard Cardas Audio was working with a company that was suppose to have an inexpensive Adel iem using a Cardas dynamic driver. I forget what company that was, though I think information about it was posted somewhere on Head-Fi. I'm not sure whatever happened with the project, but I've been thinking about writing an email to Cardas audio wondering if they'd be interested in using my sound signature in a special A8 model, and if I could help with that in any way I'm able to, of course.

Jul 31, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #24 of 1,354
Hi barondla,

The graph I posted here with the labels describing the various regions of the audio frequency response, is a graph I hired a graphic designer to draw, based on my specifications of what my ideal sound signature preference is. While it isn't quite so curvy-like in regards to that common aspect of audio frequency response graphs, it gives a general idea of it and I believe it does so quite well!

I'd love for it to someday get attention from a manufacturer and perhaps invite me to help them design an iem earphone based on this. I would learn a lot from the process of visiting the office where the design and tuning take place, being present step by step going through the necessary preparations of tuning and development of the driver design. I 'd prefer the physical design to be a bit longer than the Flares Pro, but generally the same bullet design, which I like best.

My sound signature is pretty much what it looks like though. While the small sub-bass hump of the FlaresPro graph concerns me, being its definitely not in my preference design, I'm thinking perhaps it won't be so bad considering the remaining bass of the FlaresPro mostly is slightly below neutral, sloping upwards through the mids, and having the vocals at the high point, along with the lower treble.

These are very similar aspects in contrast with my preference, and clearly are an advantage compared with the HiFiMan RE800. Flare Audio mentioned they are going for a live sound with these, so I'm assuming the fairly equivalent treble to bass will be plenty detailed and spacious, though I'm curious how this is going to be compared with the RE800, which has a bigger looking treble in the audio frequency response graph which Head-Fi Moderator, Brooko, produced.

Brooko's graph is very accurate in general, but I question HiFiMan possibly doing some slight alterations in tuning between regions. The RE800 I have, when not having its tuning altered by the Meridian Explorer2 I have which decreases some of the bass quality, along with slightly enhancing vocal forwardness and treble detail, otherwise without the ME2 my RE800 has less treble/neutral to slightly recessed vocals and more bass quantity than Brooko's graph shows. So either my RE800 has a slightly different tuning, or as some here have suggested, possibly the air vent is being blocked in my ears, which alters the sound in this way.

Anyways, I'll post Brooko's graph of the RE800 here, and the graph HiFlight posted of the FlaresPro, along with my graph again for direct comparison.

The Flares sub-bass is only present when called for. It does not in any way overshadow other parts of the audio spectrum.

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #26 of 1,354
Hi Guys,
How does the comply tsx 200 (comfort version) sound with this? Are there any other tips that could be as good as the audiophile foam tips? I'm not really a fan silicone tips as they tend to always make the treble a bit too harsh for my liking.

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #27 of 1,354
Ok a few more impressions....i agree with some statements on the headphonelist review i also agree with much more of the headphonics review .female vocals can sound slightly thin at times, the wire definitely has a lot of memory , I came across one or two examples where the sound stage was a little weird
There the negatives but they are very very minor in my eyes .

When these shine there amazing, as everyone who owns had said "sub bass" this to me is amazing never heard anything like it on an iem .
Also very clean sounding been comparing to planars which they reminded me of and yep to me it's the way bass and sound is presented overall it's very clean.
Great separation of everything, nothing seems to interfere with anything. average sound stage .
All in all for me a great buy and I'm glad I went for it , i would recommend these to anyone.

Further to my earlier post when I reported slightly thin female vocals it did seem track artist dependant also this was very negligible and only noticed a few times.
I realy dont want anyone to get the wrong idea about the flares, they are definitely my type of iem , realy clean sounding and detailed with a little bit of elevated bass , super comfy , if you love the clean sound of a planar you will love these.
The very small and I mean micro small discrepancys that I reported earlier are easily lived with for me when the rest realy is that good in my eyes.

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #28 of 1,354
Ok I'm sorry guys im still very much experimenting with these, I have now gone back to the flares silicone the spin fits are good but i feel the narrower opening was veiling the mids a bit.
I couldn't seem to find a good fit with the flare silicone before hand but i think I have found the sweet spot and fit.
Now the mids sound full and i poss lost a tad bit of bass but i prefer it.

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #29 of 1,354
Wow! Other than that bit of bloom in the subbass, which may or may not make a negative impact upon my listening, the rest of the bass looks more neutral than the RE800, and the vocal range appears slightly forward above the bass, which ought to be excellent, so long as the subbass isn't going to interfere with the rest of the music.

I use the Meridian Explorer2, which seems to reduce bass a bit, while moving the vocals slightly forward, and also increases the treble. Combined with the FlaresPro, I'm potentially looking at a situation very close to my ideal sound signature, perhaps with just a tiny less forward vocal and treble region, but still closer to my ideal sound signature than what the RE800 produces.

In case those of you haven't seen my sound signature audio frequency response graph yet, I'll post it again here for reference. I welcome any opinions about it, especially views on how close the FlaresPro might be based on my descriptions using the Meridian Explorer2.

:) you'll want to turn that volume down! Or change the graph values..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back