FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
Jul 31, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #31 of 1,354
Hey you just reminded me about mine I haven't done it yet either ..also i need to mail them about the foam tip splitting on its own accord...not got time now job definitely for tomorrow .

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #33 of 1,354
:) you'll want to turn that volume down! Or change the graph values..
Just disregard the graph values. I set the generator for 78 db, with C weighting for these comparisons.
The Audiotool App for Android is not nearly as configurable as Audiotools for iOS. They are actually 2 different developers.
I do not own an Apple device.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #36 of 1,354
Cheers for that, I just emailed as well about what the extended warranty entails ..also asked about the tip splitting of its own accord .
I will let you know the response about the warranty.

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #38 of 1,354
:) you'll want to turn that volume down! Or change the graph values..

The db does seem a little high to me too. I got the graph template from the Rtings site, which they base their tests of neutral at 90db.

Anyways, I've done some searching online today of frequency response graphs to a few iems I own that are moving armature driver - based Grados, and while I found graphs for the non 'e', I couldn't find both 'e' graphs, other than for the GR10e. I was going to use the graphs in my upcoming review of the Meridian Explorer2, which is an absolutely wonderful dac I'm going to give a glowing review of soon.

What I noticed though in the graphs I did find, was the Treble were lesser quantity than the FlaresPro graph posted by HiFlight. Yet, the treble detail of the Grados are perfectly fine, airy, and spacious enough for me. So in regards to my earlier concern of the neutralish-looking treble on the FlaresPro graph, it certainly doesn't look as though it'll sound neutral, based upon my graph comparisons today.

The other exciting mention is from looking at the bass and mids on the FlaresPro graph, if it sounds similar to what I'm thinking from that graph, I'm probably really going to like the FlaresPro. Just so the minor subbass boost does indeed keep away from making a negative impact. Although, it doesn't appear as though it will.

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #39 of 1,354
It is really nice to have that sub-bass present when it is actually present in the music. Otherwise it is never obtrusive.

Jul 31, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #40 of 1,354
It is really nice to have that sub-bass present when it is actually present in the music. Otherwise it is never obtrusive.

Completely agree. Even when its heavily present the sub bass is smooth, but has a real nice punch to it. Very addictive.
A track which highlights this for me is 'Keep it low' by Loco Dice, which can be found on Tidal if anyone's interested.

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #41 of 1,354
Completely agree. Even when its heavily present the sub bass is smooth, but has a real nice punch to it. Very addictive.
A track which highlights this for me is 'Keep it low' by Loco Dice, which can be found on Tidal if anyone's interested.
Gotta say this track is a real sonic test!

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #42 of 1,354
I reviewed the Flares Pro's on Theheadphonelist and Head-fi with comparisons and some comments on tip rolling and source sensitivity. They really do have a fantastic bass response and great resolution and clarity, I found them to sound quite similar to the Sennheiser ie800 which is a great thing considering that they have vastly improved ergonomics and are a few hundred dollars cheaper; if you enjoy the ie800, the Pro will definitely appeal.

I personally found their treble to sound a bit fatiguing from a wired source though they actually sound appreciably more natural from the included Bluetooth module which adds some body to their sound and smooths their treble. I love their titanium housings, they fit and seal really well when worn inverted over the ear but the cable is honestly one of the worst I've felt. I don't think anyone should be concerned about their bass response, but their treble might be a bit more polarizing. If you enjoy a super clear, resolving and sparkly sound, the Flare Pro is a fantastic choice with an excellent wireless implementation.

dsc03692-5.jpg

dsc03739-16.jpg

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #43 of 1,354
I reviewed the Flares Pro's on Theheadphonelist and Head-fi with comparisons and some comments on tip rolling and source sensitivity. They really do have a fantastic bass response and great resolution and clarity, I found them to sound quite similar to the Sennheiser ie800 which is a great thing considering that they have vastly improved ergonomics and are a few hundred dollars cheaper; if you enjoy the ie800, the Pro will definitely appeal.

I personally found their treble to sound a bit fatiguing from a wired source though they actually sound appreciably more natural from the included Bluetooth module which adds some body to their sound and smooths their treble. I love their titanium housings, they fit and seal really well when worn inverted over the ear but the cable is honestly one of the worst I've felt. I don't think anyone should be concerned about their bass response, but their treble might be a bit more polarizing. If you enjoy a super clear, resolving and sparkly sound, the Flare Pro is a fantastic choice with an excellent wireless implementation.

Hi Ryan,

I read your review recently some days ago, and I referred to it in a post I wrote in the Flares R2 series thread. No offense, but your review really made me nervous about getting the FlaresPro at the time I read it last week.

Before I explain, I ought to inform you that there is an error/ mistake you made in the review you wrote. The FlaresPro has 5.5mm dynamic drivers, not 8mm dynamic drivers you referred to, "At a glance, the Flares Pros are a single 8mm dynamic driver earphone." on Page 4 of your review, here : http://theheadphonelist.com/flares-pro-bluetooth-earphone-review/4/

Now I'm going to explain my concerns regarding some of the aspects of the FlaresPro you mentioned, starting on Page 6 of your review, here : http://theheadphonelist.com/flares-pro-bluetooth-earphone-review/5/
"Flares Pro isn’t a neutral or perfectly balanced earphone, I would consider it to carry a light V-shaped to U-shaped tonality with sub-bass and middle treble sitting in front of the midrange."

Many people here and on other sites seem to have a different perspective of the mids and vocals. While this certainly is fine, and not a big deal in general, it is an important factor in my purchasing decision, as I do not want any kind of "u-shape" or "v-shape" in the vocals for my listening experience. I'm searching for at least a semi-forwardness in the vocals, which are slightly warm and smooth from the bass that properly is blended in with the vocals to make them that way, rather than having the bass be loose and muddying its way throughout the mids, causing a recess to the vocals and the treble.

Here is an audio frequency response graph of the FlaresPro, which Head-Fi member, HiFlight, produced, which appears to indicate the mids and vocals are not at all recessed, which I hope they are not pushed back at all or neutral. While I don't mind the vocals not being up in my face, in pushing the vocals back just enough to create an airy, three-dimensionally spacious, detailed soundstage, I don't want it pushed back enough to become neutral with the bass, nor recessed behind the bass where the vocals become u-shaped or v-shaped. Anyways, here is the audio frequency response graph of the FlaresPro :

Flares_Pro.png

Edit Note... I decided to not make a second post following up to this one right now, but rather just to add onto this one instead. I really wanted to get this posted though, before I lost it due to a technical error or whatever. I was saving my writing to an email page to myself I had open, but I've even had trouble with that on occasion. Besides, I 've already had some issues with the search tool and even finding things on here from Google's search. So, please excuse my lengthy post here regarding this particular post.

Alright, back on topic... A few more concerns from Ryan's review, on Page 5, "They actually have similar tuning to the ie800 with sub-bass holding the greatest emphasis in the sound with slightly lifted mid and upper bass granting them with pleasing bass body" If this is the case in regards to the bass, then to me its such a waste, and in no way will I make haste to get these, as that type of sound tuning just isn't my taste. That rhymes!

Seriously though, I'm not a bass fan, although while I don't like bass in the capacity of adding darkness to music, I do understand its value in adding just enough warmth to the vocals and instrumentals, basically in the style I mentioned earlier here in this thread. No more bass than that, and it needs to be at least a couple of decibels behind the vocals, no closer to the vocals than in the audio frequency response graph of the FlaresPro posted here.

The only other concern is the mention of thin female vocals. I really hope this isn't really isn't the case all the time with the FlaresPro, and that burn-in might help to make them fuller. It is very important to me not only that the female vocals be forward but also very emotional.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #44 of 1,354
Hi Ryan,

I read your review recently some days ago, and I referred to it in a post I wrote in the Flares R2 series thread. No offense, but your review really made me nervous about getting the FlaresPro at the time I read it last week.

Before I explain, I ought to inform you that there is an error/ mistake you made in the review you wrote. The FlaresPro has 5.5mm dynamic drivers, not 8mm dynamic drivers you referred to, "At a glance, the Flares Pros are a single 8mm dynamic driver earphone." on Page 4 of your review, here : http://theheadphonelist.com/flares-pro-bluetooth-earphone-review/4/

Now I'm going to explain my concerns regarding some of the aspects of the FlaresPro you mentioned, starting on Page 6 of your review, here : http://theheadphonelist.com/flares-pro-bluetooth-earphone-review/5/
"Flares Pro isn’t a neutral or perfectly balanced earphone, I would consider it to carry a light V-shaped to U-shaped tonality with sub-bass and middle treble sitting in front of the midrange."

Many people here and on other sites seem to have a different perspective of the mids and vocals. While this certainly is fine, and not a big deal in general, it is an important factor in my purchasing decision, as I do not want any kind of "u-shape" or "v-shape" in the vocals for my listening experience. I'm searching for at least a semi-forwardness in the vocals, which are slightly warm and smooth from the bass that properly is blended in with the vocals to make them that way, rather than having the bass be loose and muddying its way throughout the mids, causing a recess to the vocals and the treble.

Here is an audio frequency response graph of the FlaresPro, which Head-Fi member, HiFlight, produced, which appears to indicate the mids and vocals are not at all recessed, which I hope they are not pushed back at all or neutral. While I don't mind the vocals not being up in my face, in pushing the vocals back just enough to create an airy, three-dimensionally spacious, detailed soundstage, I don't want it pushed back enough to become neutral with the bass, nor recessed behind the bass where the vocals become u-shaped or v-shaped. Anyways, here is the audio frequency response graph of the FlaresPro :

I'm going to continue my concerns on my next post momentarily.

Thanks for pointing out the driver size discrepancy, I will be sure to append that. On the note of sound, while neutrality can arguably be measured, balance is completely based upon your reference standard, for instance, a lot of early reviews called the 1More Quad Driver a balanced/reference earphone but I think a lot of listeners will find that is not the case. On the contrary, if you consider the Hifiman RE-600 to be perfectly balanced as a lot of people do, then the vast majority of earphones will sound v-shaped by comparison.

The Flares Pro is quite a balanced earphone, my comments are relative, just because they have lifted bass does not mean they are Beats Studios. I formed my impressions by setting the volume so that treble (which is their most boosted frequency range) was at a comfortable level. When setup as such, the midrange sounded less immediate than the bass and higher frequencies. That's not to say that they are mid recessed, due to their great clarity, they naturally draw more attention to midrange elements, creating the impression of more balance, especially when volume is nudged up a few steps. It is also an immensely tip sensitive earphone, every added bit of silicone makes a great difference to their tonality and characteristics, it's also possible that my ear anatomy is influencing my differing impressions. You may have noticed that a lot of listeners are using aftermarket tips with their units, primarily Spinfits. These tips do indeed tone down their bass, creating a more "balanced" sound, as such, my impressions and theirs are not obejctively comparable.

I review based upon sound quality, resolution, detailing, refinement, etc in isolation of tonality with some subjective comments when that tonality starts to hamper enjoyment in some way, ie, overly scooped mids, harsh treble, etc. Through this, my reviews can cater towards the most readers. if I reviewed based upon tonality then my own biases would skew my review and those with different tastes would not be able to relate to my impressions. I apologise if my review has spoiled your prospective enjoyment of these earphones, but at the end of the day, these are my subjective impressions in reference to dozens of other in-ears that I personally own. Ultimately, the most accurate way to judge these earphones is to hear them for yourself but if that is not possible in your location, then surely it is better to have more impressions than fewer from which to gain an approximate feel of what the earphones will be like for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back