FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
Aug 27, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #151 of 1,354
FYI,

I just got the ifi iematch delivered and I'm going to try them very soon here today, then I'll post an update on the sound.

Also, and this is my fault, I hadn't thought of a better term for the sound I'm hearing that I've been describing as sibilance or a hiss. A better term for it I thought of today, along with a better way to describe it, is to say a fizzy sound similar to when one opens a soda or beer can, then pours it into a glass, the carbonation producing a fizzy sound. That is what I've been hearing from the FlaresPro during certain songs.

Again, I'm not hearing it with all music, only certain tracks. Hopefully the ifi fixes this.

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #152 of 1,354
FYI,

I just got the ifi iematch delivered and I'm going to try them very soon here today, then I'll post an update on the sound.

Also, and this is my fault, I hadn't thought of a better term for the sound I'm hearing that I've been describing as sibilance or a hiss. A better term for it I thought of today, along with a better way to describe it, is to say a fizzy sound similar to when one opens a soda or beer can, then pours it into a glass, the carbonation producing a fizzy sound. That is what I've been hearing from the FlaresPro during certain songs.

Again, I'm not hearing it with all music, only certain tracks. Hopefully the ifi fixes this.

Still sounds to me like the results of poor mastering. No matter how good the phones, they cannot compensate for poor recordings. Only crappy phones are tolerant of poor mastering as they are incapable of reproducing the artifacts.

I still have to say that you are missing out on a lot by not using the bluetooth module. Until you try it, you can't appreciate how good it really is.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #153 of 1,354
Still sounds to me like the results of poor mastering. No matter how good the phones, they cannot compensate for poor recordings. Only crappy phones are tolerant of poor mastering as they are incapable of reproducing the artifacts.

I still have to say that you are missing out on a lot by not using the bluetooth module. Until you try it, you can't appreciate how good it really is.

Perhaps I'll try it...

I have some good news though...

Aug 27, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #154 of 1,354
barondla, Thank You!!!

I'm sitting here in absolute bliss floating on a cloud..., well almost. Not only did the iematch solve the fissyness problem, setting on ultra does something incredible to the already great sounding FlaresPro. I don't know how to describe it, other than it sounds like its inverting the bass somehow, where its creating an ethereal dynamic atmosphere that I've never heard bass sound this good before on anything, and thats from me, someone who pretty much detests bass. This is actually bass I like, which I didn't expect at all.

The hiss, fizz, sibilance is completely gone on the ultra setting. Its still somewhat there on the high setting, but tolerable. The high setting has a more natural sounding bass and allows for a lower volume setting. On ultra, I have to turn the volume higher, but ultra at least rids of the fizz and changes the bass into something dreamy.

Aug 27, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #155 of 1,354
@Arysyn glad it worked out for you. Was a little worried since the Flares are quite a bit less efficient than many IEMs. In theory, they would benefit less from the iematch. But, I learned long ago, you just have to listen and see if something works.

Your preferred frequency response may need updating again. Please don't turn into a bass head. :)
Enjoy the music. That's what it's all about.

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #156 of 1,354
@Arysyn glad it worked out for you. Was a little worried since the Flares are quite a bit less efficient than many IEMs. In theory, they would benefit less from the iematch. But, I learned long ago, you just have to listen and see if something works.

Your preferred frequency response may need updating again. Please don't turn into a bass head. :)
Enjoy the music. That's what it's all about.

There've been times when I've wondered why there isn't a website offering a free downloadable software tool to accurately and quickly, effortlessly, and accurately analyze the frequency response of various audio options, such as the dac/amp source alone, or together with the headphones/earphones in combination.

Not only would such a software tool be incredibly helpful/useful, the website could list every result for people to read for a better understanding of their audio device, specifically through frequency response. In my case, I could use this to see how the Meridian Explorer2 and the ifi iematch are changing the sound through the FlaresPro.

Now, there is an irritating situation the iematch causes from this, though it certainly is better than having the fizz. The iematch ultra setting eliminates the fizz in the particular music that is tuned preferentially towards the playback within the large extended treble bump in the treble region of the FlaresPro. However, the music where the fizz isn't an issue without the iematch during playback, those songs have bad breakup during the playback in the ultra setting. Reminder, this only happens in the ultra setting, not in the high setting.

The music where the fizz is present without the ifimatch, plays wonderfully in the ultra setting, especially with the fizz eliminated and the bass sounding amazing. It does require higher volume and the importance of lowering the volume when changing from the ultra setting to the high setting, which is required when listening to music that doesn't fizz during playback without the iematch. The requirement is due to the bad breakup that is noticeable in the ultra setting not allowing for audible playback in the ultra setting with this music, and can produce a volume shock when changing to the high setting.

On the high setting, while music that has the fizz during playback without the iematch can be played in the high setting with the iematch, the fizz is only reduced somewhat, not eliminated during playback. In order for the fizz to be eliminated during playback, the ultra setting needs to be in use. Also, the high setting increases bass quantity quite a bit. Music without the fizz has increased bass in contrast to listening to it without the iematch during playback.

So, to summarize this :

Note - Certain music makes a fizzing noise/sound during playback of certain music while listening to the FlaresPro without the iematch during playback. This fizzing hasn't been proven conclusive, but there are those, such as myself, who hear it, and some who do not hear it. Its currently believed by me to be a side effect only heard in certain music that is tuned preferentially towards the playback within the large extended treble bump in the treble region of the FlaresPro. - End of Note

High setting - Can be in use for both types of music (both music that fizzes and music that doesn't fizz during playback without the iematch). Music with the fizz sounds extra bassy on the high setting, and the fizz remains audible, although reduced in contrast from not having the iematch during playback. Music without the fizz just sounds extra bassy in the high setting.

Ultra Setting - Music with the fizz sounds wonderful having it eliminated on the ultra setting, as does the bass. However, the volume needs more power to it. Music without the fizz isn't audible in this setting, due to bad breakups in the sound during playback.

The annoyance with this is switching settings between the types of music, and checking volume levels whenever they are switched. The only compromise is to have the iematch on the high setting at all times while utilizing an equalizer in order to reduce the bass, while putting up with the slight fizz. Still, I'd rather leave it in the ultra setting where the fizz is gone, the bass being great with no EQ at all, and hopefully find a way to eliminate the audio breakups during the music that doesn't produce a fizz.

In the meantime, I'm still really glad there is a way to eliminate the fizz. Thanks again to barondla!

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #157 of 1,354
I believe what you are hearing using the Ultra setting is clipping from your amplifier due to the high volume setting required and the high recorded level of your music, (thank the "Loudness wars" for this). Perhaps try another amp with more horsepower or the bluetooth module.

Aug 28, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #158 of 1,354
I'm going to post a shorter message here, as I know plenty of them I've written have been long in detail, and I don't want to drag this on further. So I'll stop here and say that after gathering many of your opinions, test results with your FlaresPro units, ideas for me to try - all which I appreciate very much, thank you. I'm now going to settle for the most likely possibility of this, which is I got a dud unit where Flare Audio messed up tuning the treble - in my FlaresPro.

This definitely is a weird treble-relates issue. Everything I've said about it, I believe. Some of you have heard this in your FlaresPro, some of you have not. However, it seems like the tuning extremes have varied, and while even those of you who've heard it, its not anywhere near as bad as mine.

Please believe I've taken all your suggestions seriously, and I've tried all I could with it. The most helpful has been barondla's suggestion of the iematch, which does remove the noise in ultra mode, and after I wrote the post thanking barondla, I spent more time on it listening to other music, and found out about this breakup noise during the music that didn't have the fizz noise.

So, if the only way for me to get good use of the Flare Pro is to keep changing modes on the iematch, along with the volume levels, its just too much. The good news of this, is that the iematch turned out to be an excellent purchase. I tried it with my Grado GR10e , and it resolved the only negative of the Grado GR10e, which was it being a bit too fast and lacking some emotion on the songs that needed it. It gives the Gr10e a near-Dynamic like resolution, and slowing the speed down a bit. Plus, there isn't any breakup in the sound on either mode.

The breakup in the FlaresPro tells me it must be a unit issue, along with everything else. I'm going to contact Flare Audio about this, and see what can be done.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #159 of 1,354
Can anyone recommend any foam tips with a wide bore for the flares pro (Maybe as wide as the audiophile tips)? I'm not sure there are any foam tips like these but if you have any idea of one that would be helpful? Thanks

Aug 29, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #160 of 1,354
Can anyone recommend any foam tips with a wide bore for the flares pro (Maybe as wide as the audiophile tips)? I'm not sure there are any foam tips like these but if you have any idea of one that would be helpful? Thanks
Try Symbio w wide bore tips. They seem to work a treat for me. My current go to where the spirals until i discovered these. Seem to fit the pros very well

Aug 30, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #163 of 1,354
Searching for these I can only find an eBay listing which has them as out of stock. Any where else these can be purchased? Thanks
I got mine from Ebay. you can also get them from Audiosanctury https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/mandarines-symbio-eartips-w-widebore.html but they are a bit more expensive and you're not given the option to mix sizes. Through Ebay I was able to request two large and one medium size. These are not foam but a hybrid of silicon/foam and isolate very well. I can of course only comment on my personal experience with them as they are expensive when you think all you are buying is a bit of bloody silicon and foam but do the job for me as I am not a DIY person.

Aug 30, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #164 of 1,354
I got mine from Ebay. you can also get them from Audiosanctury https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/mandarines-symbio-eartips-w-widebore.html but they are a bit more expensive and you're not given the option to mix sizes. Through Ebay I was able to request two large and one medium size. These are not foam but a hybrid of silicon/foam and isolate very well. I can of course only comment on my personal experience with them as they are expensive when you think all you are buying is a bit of bloody silicon and foam but do the job for me as I am not a DIY person.

The Symbio Mandarines look pretty nice, and I'd probably get it if there were a double flange version where I'd imagine would simply require a longer foam piece carved out a certain way to affix double flange silicone piece over it somehow.

Even better if Symbio could work with Spinfit on a collaborative model.

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #165 of 1,354
Not been following for a week (update alerts not working again) or so and just caught up on posts.
I still feel the flares are one of the best bang for buck iems out there but as always there is a cost, I can't speak for everyone but a lot of my sound issues have been down to fit...i have experienced way too much bass , veiled mids , and fizzy treble all by using wrong fitting tips and under or over insertion......get these right for your ear canal and there a dream, wrong then you will experience the above.
None of the supplied tips worked well for me apart from small audiophile tissue foam that tore after about 5 seconds ...i have been using spinfits and even with those it takes time to get the depth of insertion right.
I would still highly recommend though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back