Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Sep 26, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #3,077 of 3,098
81KW2bi5WPL._SL1500_.jpg

Just my 2 cents, these IEM's are engineered with the comply's as the choice, and when you have the right sized comply's on and sealed, they sound perfection, with real deep bass and nice rolled off highs. If you are not experiencing this with your choice of tips, then you really should try the comply's again. My issue with the complys they send with the Flares, is the pressure in one ear was just too much after a while listening. Medium was the right size to get a good seal, but it bothered me after a while, and it was tough to get it positioned correctly. What saved me was the comfort line of complys. These seal just right, don't hurt my ear walls, and are easier to insert and remove.
https://www.amazon.com/Comply-Foam-...pf_rd_t=ABGateway&refRID=1PYPR8GSWWF54MNPS6Z6

I chose the version without the wax guard as it seems to provide just that much better high end than with. It really is a fantastic IEM when you get them inserted deep enough, and sealed. With these, I get a perfect seal everytime now, and can wear them a long while and not have any discomfort. What's interesting in my case, is when you have them inserted correctly, all you see if your looking at me from the front, is the black cables coming out of my ear canals, but I can easily reach the cap of the IEM to grasp them for removal with my finger nails. How are others able to remove them?

Frankly, I tried various Comply tips, and always found the treble to be too soft and rolled-off. They only came alive with the Flares silicone tips...

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #3,078 of 3,098
I do use them with a TDA1543 NOS DAP, though!

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #3,079 of 3,098
I backed the JackSavior KS campaign (along with a few others here I know) and have picked up 2 male to male cables and 2 short male to female adapter cables. I started using one of the adapters recently because I was getting a poor connection with my R2S plugged directly into my phone's headphone socket and I knew the JackSavior plug would help take the strain off it. I've started getting crackling and dropouts whenever there is movement or tension on the Flares cable and I discovered that the plug is ever so slightly bent which obviously caused the initial problem. My thought process is to snip off the jack/plug from the Flares and the female end from the adapter and splice the 2 cables together so I've got a pair of Flares with a JackSavior jack on the end. (they actually produced headphones and in-ears during the campaign with their jack connector).

does anyone see any potential issues with this? I can ask electricians at work to do the soldering, but it should just be a case of matching up the correct wires no?

Nov 14, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #3,080 of 3,098
The R2PRO effectively ended my activity on this forum! I believe it's been 2 years? Anyways, have any of you found a direct upgrade to these that aren't the new Flare Pros? Suggestions are very much appreciated

To add, I'm not even back because I've gotten unhappy with these. Rather, I'm genuinely interested to see how tech has progressed with this sound signature at least.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #3,081 of 3,098
Flares Pros :wink: I'm guessing you discount them because of all the bundled bits and price? Fingers crossed they do introduce a fixed-wire model as they did plan to once.

In a way, the Flares Pros have done the same for me keeping me relatively off the forum.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #3,082 of 3,098
Flares Pros :wink: I'm guessing you discount them because of all the bundled bits and price? Fingers crossed they do introduce a fixed-wire model as they did plan to once.

In a way, the Flares Pros have done the same for me keeping me relatively off the forum.

Damn it AHAHAHA!! Thank you though

Jan 19, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #3,084 of 3,098
Wow this thread is quite deceased. Anyhow, I demoed the InEar ProPhile 8, HifiMan RE2000, Campfire Audio Vega, and Ortofon e-Q8 and concluded that:

- The PP8 is the best IEM I've ever heard, bar none. I find it to be the closest to a direct upgrade from the R2PRO sound signature wise (price is huge jump forward though).
- The HiFiMan RE2000 is a close second but only bettering the PP8 for jazz.
- I still rate the Flares R2PRO higher than the Vega
- The e-Q8 is great for classical

Feb 2, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #3,085 of 3,098
I guess because it was quite an unknown range in comparison and that they are now no longer easily available - most discontinued product threads are kept alive by massive initial sales, lots still having them and a thriving secondhand market. Neither really exist for less well know products... unless collectables of course.

I'd recommend trying out the current Flares Pro - on ebay I've seen some unwanted gifts and used ones sell in the £200-£250 range if you don't want to pay full price for the 30-day trial. Although in the foreseable future, I doubt I'd get to audition them against much higher priced iems like the PP8.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #3,087 of 3,098
I've lost my Sony hybrid tips, so going to order new ones.. was satisfied with hybrids but should I try spiral dots as well? any experience?

Nov 23, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #3,088 of 3,098
does anyone have spare endcaps for R2 series?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back