Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jun 27, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #2,911 of 3,098
...because real Flares sounds good only with foams or perhaps custom tips (still waiting on mine). People read your posts and might pointlessly spend money on tips like SpinFits or else - I've tried 15 different silicon tips and it makes no different, all sounds terrible compared to foams.

When I tried Flare R2A the foam did not sound as good for me as soft silicone ones. That could be because I have a rather small ear canal that makes even foam earplugs a little tricky to insert. So it may be that the overhang on the Complys and inAirs was overhanging and being pushed into the path of the driver by my ear canal. In any case, when I used HiFiman small double-flange they sounded great and not harsh.

Jun 27, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #2,912 of 3,098
maybe use small foam tips? one always need foams just for versitility. i have two foam tips, i might buy inairs look like a nice foams
flare sound good with any tips really foams or any tips. i would like a custom tips but pricy, easier to buy a whole new iem such as sabre etc rather than spend money on one pair of custom tips

Jun 27, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #2,913 of 3,098
  When I tried Flare R2A the foam did not sound as good for me as soft silicone ones. That could be because I have a rather small ear canal that makes even foam earplugs a little tricky to insert. So it may be that the overhang on the Complys and inAirs was overhanging and being pushed into the path of the driver by my ear canal. In any case, when I used HiFiman small double-flange they sounded great and not harsh.

Well, it's crucial to properly insert the foams. The sound I'm writing about is a result of perfect seal and perfect insertion. Only then they sound much better than on properly inserted and well chosen silicon tips.
That's why you need to like foams and have proper ear canals maybe. I prefer foams and at times it's very tricky for me to put them in the right way. Weird thing is -it's harder to put them in afternoon than morning.

Then there's durability of foams. Even if they're not physically damaged they become softer and softer with time and less likely to do their job.

That's why in my opinion Flares are so high maintance that it can be hard to recommend them without explaining all the facts.
But if you are willing to use foams, learn to insert them the right way and replace them quite often - then you can enjoy almost perfect sound:)

Jun 27, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #2,916 of 3,098
Brand? No, there's no brand. Simply go to an audiologist, get your impressions done and ask for tips fitted on your Flares. Tell them to treat them as hearing aids, these guys do custom units all the time. Flares are nothing but music hearing aids, right? Helping you hear the music as it was meant to :)

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #2,921 of 3,098
I was fortunate to see and listen to the next generation of Flare Audio's IEM's. Very excited and can't wait to purchase.

Come on, that's unfair, tell us something.  Any comparison, any important change? Or, if you haven't tried the r2, are these new machines big, small, fast, resentful, transparent, sexy, liars, fanatic, sexually repressed, itchy, funny, intelectual, good heart iems?

Lie to us if you want, just talk, say everything...

Jun 29, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #2,924 of 3,098
I don't believe I'm qualified to offer an assessment on sound signature, other than they sounded fantastic. I'm a big fan of the R2's, if anything they sounded clearer and even more detailed. From memory they are slightly larger, but still as comfortable. I don't want to steal Flare's thunder when they release them later this year. As I said previously I'm not qualified to make judgement on sound signature as its all very subjective. I was fortunate to met some of the team and got to see some of the new products heading our way. What struck me most was the passion and enthusiasm. All I can say is I'm defiantly in on the next campaign etc

Jun 29, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #2,925 of 3,098
.. when they release them later this year.

As I said previously I'm not qualified to make judgement on sound signature ......

Later this year. I believe the word was that they would be revealed next month?

As for sound signature, please try again and give us your best shot!

Sorry for asking but where did you guys meet? At FA office? You're a R2 owner? Which version? Any other (C)IEMs or other headphones for that matter, what's your reference point? Don't mean to scare you off, just curious....that's all

Someone mentioned "sorry about your wallet" yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back