Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jun 10, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #2,851 of 3,098
I'm still enjoying my Flares a year later. I've got both the Pros and the As. The Pros have better note solidity and timbre but the As have better air and sound more open. I wonder how much comes down to end cap openness/closeness but I'm not willing to risk the cable experimenting.

Both are just super coherent and revealing without being in your face about details. I would like a touch more treble extension though.

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #2,852 of 3,098
I'm about to follow SAbloke and give my R2As an upgrade. I'll get custom sleeves attached and then look for someone to reliably attach the cables from my IE80 to the Flares with strain relief. (I have spare IE80 cables coming).

As has been mentioned in recent posts these iems are just great at doing things so well. They may not have the overall best bass/mids/treble, or the widest and deepest soundstage but they come very close.

I use my PC every night to go online yet I own an iPad. The reason is that my R2As are connected and I just have to listen to them. With my Fiio E7/E9 driving the Flares I'm in a current state of audio nirvana. Yes there is probably better but for what price?

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #2,853 of 3,098

Well, I always though of Flares as laid back signature-wise. Great for jazz, blues, all vocal-centered music. Generally speaking R2pro sounds much better on well-mastered albums and metal albums are usually quite low on quality - there are many exceptions though, like some albums from Iced Earth, Manson, Mastodon, Dream Evil, Overkill, Halloween, Children of Bodom...

There's much going on in metal music and not that many headphones can handle that.
R2A are more forgiving and thinner sounding than R2pro's which is good for metal.

I shall actually try out some of those bands - I only know Manson but don't listen to his stuff even though I've always liked it.  People often say "jazz, blues, vocal-centred music" and what they mean I guess is something where you are listening out for tibre and detail. However I often find jazz and blues really boring and having something described as being good for jazz and blues really puts me off a product!

I find the R2 Pros excellent for anything that has any kind of detail in the tibre and err "atmosphere", even if that atmosphere is fake and a studio added reverb/soundstage (and I love to be able to analyse how a track has been put together because for once you can actually hear the detail rather than it being too blurred to tell the difference between gear used). Electronica is a good example and well produced pop and rock.

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #2,854 of 3,098

I like metal to a degree but because I am not an uber fan, I can't really think of which aspects of an excellent headphone are actually needed for metal..  Obviously that is my bias and ignorance. :wink:

What would one say? Bass slam and general attack?  I think the Flares have great attack without being harsh as some can and also the same in the bass region but bass is not exaggerated as some people do actually like.

for me it not the recommended V shape or pounding bass, its balanced, slightly lean fast but deep bass, detailed but not harsh highs, instrument separation, great mids and no veiling.

maybe only estats, planars and BAs have the right amount of speed for metal?

Jun 14, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #2,855 of 3,098
if anyone wants more high in flares get spinfit tips from trinity audio website 10 euro for 4 pair sizes, improves highs extends, and everything sounds more better. with zuperdac my flare iem and spin fit tips sounds like 700 euro audio hihi so much better than foams and other tips. unbelievable value for money for 10 euro, next level audio. better than studio hihi :)

i also have occ cable from aliexpress in post. i will sodder to wires, i sodderred to dynamic before it made sound more muffly for some reason, may be it needs certain sodder for audio. but i wont sodder to dynamics, to wires. it sounds very good as it is

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #2,856 of 3,098
if anyone wants more high in flares get spinfit tips from trinity audio website 10 euro for 4 pair sizes, improves highs extends, and everything sounds more better. with zuperdac my flare iem and spin fit tips sounds like 700 euro audio hihi so much better than foams and other tips. unbelievable value for money for 10 euro, next level audio. better than studio hihi
smily_headphones1.gif

i also have occ cable from aliexpress in post. i will sodder to wires, i sodderred to dynamic before it made sound more muffly for some reason, may be it needs certain sodder for audio. but i wont sodder to dynamics, to wires. it sounds very good as it is

I have to strongly disagree. I've tried like 15 different silicone tips (including spinfits) - all sounds simply terrible in compare to foams - no matter if I had good seal or not.
Now I'm ordering custom silicone tips - will see how they sound.

Just to be clear - foams are very often insert the wrong way. To get the right sound you have to insert them correctly - they sound must be very clear and isolation have to be superb (like 9/10).
I know many people that discard them because of poor attempts at inserting foams and then trying them with various silicone tips...

Jun 14, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #2,857 of 3,098
these are differrent tips, the material is differrent, material is similar to trinity audio other tips, these are custom apin fit tips, not a fact its my opinion

anyone can make these tips and say spin fit, there are many spin fit tips in google search many look differrent, these are sold by trinity audio, and you actually get four pairs of four sizes for 10 euro

but i did buy a pair of comply tips its in post

trinity audio tips bellow on right

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #2,859 of 3,098

these foam tips sound good too, may be even better than spinfit tips from trinity audio website. might buy more of these tips, very comfortable and sound epic. spinfit tips have the high sparkle extention though everyone craves on these iems. both are nice tips, but overall these foam tips might be better. :) hihi

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #2,860 of 3,098

these foam tips sound good too, may be even better than spinfit tips from trinity audio website. might buy more of these tips, very comfortable and sound epic. spinfit tips have the high sparkle extention though everyone craves on these iems. both are nice tips, but overall these foam tips might be better. :) hihi

Crystal tips?

Jun 15, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #2,861 of 3,098
I just ordered some InAirs Air1s (should probably put it all in caps as per their branding) for my R2s - I'll let people know first impressions compared to Complys.

I worked out the size by finding an iem Comply recommends the T200 for and then finding the same iem on InAir's size chart - should be the same, the Air1s. Seems InAir copy Comply's size range but have numbered them 1, 2 and 3 respectively instead of Comply's 200, 400 and 500.

5 pairs for £10 so a good deal better value than Comply if they are of the same quality and last at least as long.

Jun 15, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #2,862 of 3,098
Now iv read through the whole thread im even more confused, seems like the most polarizing earphone to date (R2pro)

some people think its hitting up with the big boys but then theres them that though it was just ok for the kickstarter price 
confused.gif

i would love to try them but i dont want waste money still even if half the RRP price.

Option 1 - Sennheiser IE800, Already owned them, waste of money, serious coherancy issues

Option 2 - Westone W60 £570

Option 3 - R2rpro £200 or £400

Option 3 - Shure se846 £610

Option 4 - Dita The answer £420

Option 5 - Screw iems and get LCD2 £715?

as you can see im running round in circles because theres so much to choose from, i listen to pretty much only metal so i love speed, balance, detail and great extension on both ends and timbre, no V shape for me.

if anyone could help me from here i would really apreciate it.

Jun 15, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #2,863 of 3,098
there is also trinity audio hunter going to be on sale. i cant tell you which to buy, there are even more high end iems like laylas etc, for the price flare is precice audio but doesnt mean it has bass like my hz ep001 you know

its your money you can even go buy yourself a pair of beats, i wouldnt mind :) but its waste of money ofcourse cause you can get trinity audio iems flare audio, lotsa tips and a dac for same money which will give better overall sound.

Crystal tips?

just regular foam tips on ali
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32303927462.html?aff_click_id=2b12a3ee7a7d4a39a2058d65f5d3f4c7-1464299499787-03195-qbyZzJAI6&aff_platform=y

Jun 15, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #2,865 of 3,098
Deftone, the Flare R2Pro are very good IEMs. They are very linear and neutral sounding, and amazingly natural and coherent. The Flare play music the way it sounds. They don't add excitement. Sound signature is not v shaped. They don't amp up the bass or have over boosted high frequencies. The extreme high frequencies are slightly attenuated.

The Flare do a few other excellent things . They have the ability to put a soundstage more in front of you vs inside your head. The balanced pressure design changes bass perception. It is a little hard to explain. There is the correct amount of bass, but it doesn't build up pressure in your ear. It is more like hearing bass from speakers. I find it less fatiguing than other IEMs.

The Flare are pretty inefficient for IEMs. If you like music loud, the Flare will do better with either a higher power dap ( I use the PonoPlayer) or an amplifier. It is amazing how much power the Flare can handle. The small micro drivers can also play quite loud.

A multi driver IEM with balanced armature drivers may pull out a little more detail. It is usually at the expense of a more ragged frequency response. It is very hard for multi driver BA's to achieve the same coherence a single fullrange driver has.

The Flare probably don't any one thing absolutely the best. But they do every thing very well. It is this balance that makes them so special.

The Flare are some of the most comfortable IEMs around. They are so small and light weight, and can be worn for hours. Some people do not care for the Comply memory foam tips. The Flare can be a little finicky with other tips. All tips change the sound at least a little.

Flare said there will an announcement in July. You might consider waiting for that info before doing any thing.

Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back