Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Oct 4, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #2,251 of 3,098
I recently picked up a fiio x3 mk2, and although it's not totl by any means, it's got plenty of power to drive the r2a's

As I also play only 320k mp3's, some of the subtleties of higher def recordings aren't missed by me.

The big difference though is that compared to my iPhone 6:

1. It doesn't need playing past 50% of the volume
2. The hi gain gives it a really nice punch
3. The overall sound is so much fuller
4. Battery life is basically double
5. It's much smaller

I should also add that for £135 it was also a bargain for what it does.

Added benefit is that it also drives my HD650's and Hifiman HE560's without effort too

I'm likely to upgrade to the x7 or similar at some point in the future, but for now, I've yet to hear music through IEMs this good until you start playing £500+ units

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #2,252 of 3,098

As I understand it, the Flares are not about pressure build-up like the ADELs. They are about eardrum movement - with a normal design, the ear drum will be pushed in one direction more than the other for a given volume and therefore will experience over excursion sooner, and it's this excursion which causes both fatique and eventual hearing damage. With the presure balanced driver, the driver will be moving equally in both directions (drivers move back and forth) and therefore the eardrum will be doing the same. Therefore you can play louder before pushing your ear drum to it's limits of movement and therefore get less fatigue and less likely to get damage.

The ADELs still will move the air more in one direct than the other (because of the unequal pressures on each side of the driver) but will release the pressure within the ear canal at a certain point. Whether it does that pressure release exactly the same with both positive and negative pressures I don't know...

Thank you for this comprehensive explanation. Am I right to assume that the ADEL technology should be considered slightly 'safer' than the Flare pressure balanced technology? That is if it can be proven objectively and measured in direct comparison, still haven't seen either. My conclusion in short is that the ADEL releases the pressure (outlet) whereas the Flare Audio is relieving the eardrum without the intention to get the pressure out. Both technologies supposedly prevent hearing via the eardrum to a 'certain' degree, however based on aforementioned conclusion neither of them will prevent the nerve cells (tiny hairs) from dying. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. 

Bolder part: haven't experienced that on my rig, volume pot is still on the same dial

Oct 7, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #2,254 of 3,098
  so anyone with a replacement cable for sale? Thanks

yes - you can PM me. I have the replacement cable with microphone and the original replacement with metal cuff.

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #2,255 of 3,098
Had the R2As for while now and have been experimenting with tips to find the best sound.

This is what I eventually came up with - caveat YEMV (Your Ears May Vary) in alphabetical order.

1 Complys that came with the iems

These seal the best of all the tips I tried but they seemed to muffle the sound, especially in the mid range and bass. Having to roll the tips before putting them in your ears is a PITA

2 JVC Spiral Dots. Great seal and the width of sound stage was very good but I could hear a tizzy sound which I eventually identified as sibilance. These were the worst for sibilance with the Flares. The bass was amazing!

3 Ortofon Q5s

These also worked well but I had to fiddle around to eventually get a good seal. When I did these worked very well but there was small degree of sibilance that put me off slightly. I also found that the accuracy of the sound stage tended to wander about at times.

4 Spinfits (Jaben) they were the first alternatives I tried from the Complys and I was very impressed with them. After auditioning the others I am still impressed. Fantastic soundstage, deep impactful bass that also sounds very natural and a gorgeous midrange

5 Spinfits (Japanese). They were too slippery to create any form of seal and I tried different sizes. Others haven't had this issue so I assume that this is my ears.

Final ranking

5th Japanese Spinfits
4th JVC Spiral Dots
3rd Complys
2nd Ortofon Q5s
1st Jaben Spinfits

Thank you to Dopaminer for providing most of these tips.

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #2,256 of 3,098
My R2PROs are dead. One channel is off due to a broken cable where it connects jack. I felt it would be their Achilles heel and it was. Already wrote Flare Audio and waiting for an answer. Has aneybody got changed Flare IEMs or the cable? Are Flare Audio responsive?

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #2,257 of 3,098
Yes, i faced the same problem as you and Flare Audio was very responsive and helpful.
The repair was done in double-quick time and all was fine and dandy.
PM them on their kickstarter page.

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #2,259 of 3,098
for those who are interested I just posted R2A vs Duke impressions in Duke thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/777138/venture-electronics-ve-duke-a-new-high-performance-iem/525#post_12014981

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #2,260 of 3,098
My cable died too, I hoped it would last until they introduce "premium" cable.

I really think with solid titanium piece and replaceable driver they are very solid, but cable is very poor quality, I hope they will introduce much better one.

Oh, my friends R2A's cable died too - same thing on both - 1 channel lost

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #2,261 of 3,098
  My cable died too, I hoped it would last until they introduce "premium" cable. I really think with solid titanium piece and replaceable driver they are very solid, but cable is very poor quality, I hope they will introduce much better one. Oh, my friends R2A's cable died too - same thing on both - 1 channel lost

I am also worried about the cable quality as well. Seems a bit cheap on a premium pair of headphones. Some of my sub-$100 headphones have nicer cables.

no complaints about the sound though and absolutely a enjoy to listen to. I would be wary of removing the drivers/cable yourself. My broken while I was playing with it and had to get a new driver+cable from Flare Audio.

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #2,263 of 3,098
  That was going to be my question, did they break with normal use or while trying a mod? I also wonder if wearing the cable over the ears, like I do, would also increase the strain.

I was reasonably careful with my R2PROs (without mods except removed Y-splitter) always carrying them in the original pouch, but it didn't prevent the cable from breaking. The way it's implemented is doomed as the cable connention to jack is extremely fragile (I'm surprised that it managed to last three months and a half). They should introduce a new cable or be ready to never ending reparations.

By the way, Flare Audio replied to my email providing me with a return form. As a coincidence I travel to the UK today and I will send back my beloved R2PROs from their country of origin (should be faster).

Oct 23, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #2,264 of 3,098
So you're saying that the connection broke just before the 3.5mm jack? I've been very careful with this and as most of my listening is from my PC with no strain on that point mine has survived.

However, I'm travelling in December and will be away for a month with my R2As operating out of either my Fiio Q1 attached to my Sana View or my iPhone 6S. I wonder how that will affect the cable?

I've always seen the join at the driver end as an issue but I'm not sure now as you're the second person to mention the weak join at the jack.

I might carry my IE80s with me as well as a back up.

Oct 23, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #2,265 of 3,098
  So you're saying that the connection broke just before the 3.5mm jack? I've been very careful with this and as most of my listening is from my PC with no strain on that point mine has survived.

Yep. I believe a simple and non-expensive solution like an angled jack or even better a spiral before jack would keep the cable alive much longer.

I'm a bit frustrated as the only back-up IEMs I have are extremely bass shy RE-400. Already ordered Trinity Deltas as I suppose they will arrive earlier than my repaired or replaced R2Pros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back