Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jul 8, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #1,126 of 3,098
Hello!

My concern is more R2S vs R2PRO.
They look identical in the pictures and I do not have them side by side to compare any weight difference between these tiny tiny iems.

Their pictures don't look identical to me... The stainless steel seem to be less shiny than the titanium one.

Flare has said that they all weight 9g since the difference is so miniscule at that size.

Jul 8, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #1,127 of 3,098
Their pictures don't look identical to me... The stainless steel seem to be less shiny than the titanium one.

Flare has said that they all weight 9g since the difference is so miniscule at that size.

Hmm mine don't look all that shiny.
Perhaps I received a steel instead of the titanium I backed?

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #1,133 of 3,098
That could just be different lighting in photography though hmmm

I doubt it. They probably have also made sure to make the distinction for each models. You really should ask them directly rather than fumbling around here imo.

Although I personally think that your case is probably due to fitting/seal issue.

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #1,134 of 3,098
I doubt it. They probably have also made sure to make the distinction for each models. You really should ask them directly rather than fumbling around here imo.

Although I personally think that your case is probably due to fitting/seal issue.

Yeah I sent them a message before this.
Waiting for their reply.

I figured it might be seal as well but try as I might with different silicone tips and endless adjustments, still sounds shrill.
Beautiful mids and ample clean bass but highs are just too shrill even for me, who like really sparkling highs.

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #1,135 of 3,098
I'm enjoying mine quite a bit - they come across with more detail than my IM70s but no treble harshness, was up till 2am just listening to anything and everything. 

Not as much bass quantity as the IM70s but it's tighter and more detailed, which makes the ATH low end seem a bit clumsy in comparison.

They sound ok-but-not great coming out of my one plus phone and require a lot more power than the Audio Technicas... but through the Audinst and iBasso they're sounding great.

Would love to hear it through something like an Oppo HA-2 if I can fit one in the budget.

Oh, and the big hunk of metal they're using for a y-splitter is quite heavy in comparison to the rest of the earphones... i think I'm going to take it off at some point.

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #1,136 of 3,098
Hi WCDchee, I use silicon hybrid tips.
I do not use Complys and will not use them so there is little point in using them now.
I have used them before and for the trouble of putting them on and disposing them, it is not imo a worthwhile exchange.

Actually I think the problems you mention are a very compelling reason to at least test them for a short time with the Complys. If the treble isn't shrill with the Complys, you would at least know they aren't defective. 

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #1,137 of 3,098

Actually I think the problems you mention are a very compelling reason to at least test them for a short time with the Complys. If the treble isn't shrill with the Complys, you would at least know they aren't defective. 

I was actually wondering if it was mentioned whether or not he tried it with the Comply tips. I was planning on searching the thread but I guess that answers that. 

I love how weirdly inconsistent the impressions for the Flares are lol. I think the R2As are black, and the R2Pros are bare metal, that's if you got in on the early bird kick starters anyway 

I think they've been pretty consistent if you regard what tips the impressions are made with. The largest discrepancy would be in regards to the timbre of the treble but another post says it fixes itself with burn-in.

Hi WCDchee, I use silicon hybrid tips.
I do not use Complys and will not use them so there is little point in using them now.
I have used them before and for the trouble of putting them on and disposing them, it is not imo a worthwhile exchange.

I think it's worth the effort at least a couple of times. Also, wait 'til everyone gets theirs. Sooner than later we'll probably have a list of non-foam tips which keep the intended signature. 

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #1,138 of 3,098
Have been listening extensively to the R2s for the past few days. Initial impression is that they do sound special, as their sound presentation is rather different from the IEMs that i own and tried in the past. The sound presentation of the Pro is very smooth and feels a bit laid back (not as forward sounding) compared to the IEMs that I'm currently using which makes me think whether is that the reason why it sounds non-fatiguing.

These are well worth the money for the great sound and good built quality, but one thing that i dislike is the metal cuffs on the y-splitter, which tends to swing a lot with head movements, generating quite a bit of cable noise. I personally feels that a chin slider will be a better option than the metal cuff.

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #1,139 of 3,098
Left the R2As burning in (music) while at work. See what that 8 hours does to them.

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #1,140 of 3,098

Thank you guys!

I agree.

But surprise!
I did a little bit of cooking today: burned them tiny tots in for ONLY about 2 hours and that burned the shrill right out of them!
I am a believer of burn-in as I experienced them myself even before knowing of headfi, but this is just too dramatic.

They still tend towards a brighter sound than even the Dita Truth but very manageable highs now.
And the bass got slightly fuller, making EDM very listenable back to back with ballads lol.

And i am STILL using the silicone tips.

NOW they are AWESOME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back