Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jul 7, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #1,036 of 3,098
  Hey, did anyone get charged duties? I'm in Seoul, South Korea and UPS just informed me I'll need to shell out an additional $30 USD... arrgh. I've heard in general that KR customs doesn't really care that much for sub $150 purchases, but I guess I'm unlucky here...

probably UPS. Don't UPS charge like $15 or something in Korea?

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #1,037 of 3,098

probably UPS. Don't UPS charge like $15 or something in Korea?

...I just got an update from the UPS guy, he said "Keep in mind you're charged for the shipping as well."

I looked into it, the rule states " import duty and taxes payable are calculated on the complete shipping value, which includes the cost of the imported goods, the cost of freight, and the cost of insurance."

What really stinks is that I'm over the taxable limit by $3.50 (THREE FIDDY) but now I have to shell out another $30. 

Nuts.

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #1,038 of 3,098

...I just got an update from the UPS guy, he said "Keep in mind you're charged for the shipping as well."

I looked into it, the rule states " import duty and taxes payable are calculated on the complete shipping value, which includes the cost of the imported goods, the cost of freight, and the cost of insurance."

What really stinks is that I'm over the taxable limit by $3.50 (THREE FIDDY) but now I have to shell out another $30. 

Nuts.

What I meant was... UPS ask for "handling fee" on top of your supposed Import tax. That handling fee is in the region of $10-$15 on top of your import tax .

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #1,039 of 3,098

What I meant was... UPS ask for "handling fee" on top of your supposed Import tax. That handling fee is in the region of $10-$15 on top of your import tax .

Ah - apparently there's no handling fee, at least this time. But I have to shell out 8% customs duties and 10% VAT (don't think there's any funny business either - official tax receipts are coming with the package)

it's a harsh lesson for me to pay more attention to the customs site - when I saw that the personal import limit was 150,000 KRW I thought I was totally in the clear - just didn't know it includes shipping cost, even if the other party covers that. 

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #1,041 of 3,098
It's even better here, where Customs can decide what an item is worth...

....and there are minimum charges.

They once tried to charge me the equivalent of USD 45 plus fees for an item valued at USD 100. I rejected the parcel and it was returned to sender.

I suspect that they are currently stuck in customs while someone tries to figure out the local market MSRP.

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #1,042 of 3,098

They once tried to charge me the equivalent of USD 45 plus fees for an item valued at USD 100. I rejected the parcel and it was returned to sender.

I suspect that they are currently stuck in customs while someone tries to figure out the local market MSRP.

called "official assessment" right?
it's pretty ******* shady. I have that where i currently live as well.

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #1,043 of 3,098

hah! I know how you feel, I used to live in Shanghai. Though to be honest, I got SO MUCH DAMN GOOD USE out of taobao I don't think I ever ordered anything from outside China... I desperately miss my taobao!

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #1,045 of 3,098
Same here. I was stupid - I should have had them sent to friends in the UK, and picked them up in Autumn on my next visit...

Maybe I can send them back and have them re-delivered to a UK address, if they start demanding outrageous duty payments (upwards of 50% or so). It all depends on whether they are already deemed to have been imported, and what the return shipping is going to cost.

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #1,047 of 3,098
I'll be curious to hear more about the imaging/soundstage of the Flares from new owners. That seems to be the most interesting thing to me. I take it that there's a lot of frontal depth to the Flare? As in sounds can be distinctly perceived as though they were in front of you? Very, very few IEMs can actually pull that off

Very curious which IEMs (or even custom) that would be in your opinion.

Until now the 'natural' soundstage/imaging people have been talking about to me has been rather vaguely. I'm interested in the frontal imaging as I feel it's the most natural one (compared to a live concert situation), not 'over the head' or 'between the ears'.

@WCDchee already did a great job in his latest post to describe the differences between the R2s in this regard, your shortlist of 'frontals' would be very helpful as a reference.

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #1,048 of 3,098
A backer by the name 'David Moore' mentioned in the comments section of the KS page :

"My R2a's turned up today, I've not had time to have a proper listen yet but at first glance they sound ace.
I never received any tracking info tho, they just appeared at my door (in the UK) as if by magic. : )"

Might this be a UK thing? Has anyone in the UK received their R2's without any notification from UPS too?

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #1,049 of 3,098
  A backer by the name 'David Moore' mentioned in the comments section of the KS page :

"My R2a's turned up today, I've not had time to have a proper listen yet but at first glance they sound ace.
I never received any tracking info tho, they just appeared at my door (in the UK) as if by magic. : )"

Might this be a UK thing? Has anyone in the UK received their R2's without any notification from UPS too?

Well, I haven't had any UPS shipping email yet either - but I've also not received my R2s yet, lol.

If they rock up today unannounced, I'll let you know.  I've never had email confirmation from UPS before for anything, so it'd be a new one for me if they did send it.

Either way, we both have something to look forward to still  - one of the key requirements for a happy life, I find.

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #1,050 of 3,098

It's a bit bizarre and unconsistent. Everything went well in my case (Germany), I got an email with a tracking number and it was delivered the next day. However it's strange to read that people outside EU have to pay some handling fee to UPS, bearing in mind that delivery was announced as free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back