Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
May 30, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #256 of 3,098

hehe - kind of like wanting to buy a carbon fibre Pagani Zonda  but asking if you can have it made by traditional 1960 Ferrari methods, panel beaten steel over a wood frame.

Get some vinyl wrap if it's about the looks.

It's not about the look though. Some people may actually prefer those distortion sounds, just like some of them like tubes.

May 30, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #258 of 3,098
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the pressure balanced concept?

What's the purpose of the concept? Since afaik the Aluminium one already sounds different than the Titanium one even though they use the same exact driver and same exact housing design, which means it has higher distortion right? Yet a reviewer stated his preference toward that more distorted model, so I don't know, I think it's not so far fetched of an idea.

Though yeah, I also have already said that it goes against the point they're trying to make so it's not happening.

On another note, £10K to go for the KS campaign. I think they might even have to think about stretch goal now!

May 30, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #263 of 3,098
  What's the purpose of the concept? Since afaik the Aluminium one already sounds different than the Titanium one even though they use the same exact driver and same exact housing design, which means it has higher distortion right? Yet a reviewer stated his preference toward that more distorted model, so I don't know, I think it's not so far fetched of an idea.

Though yeah, I also have already said that it goes against the point they're trying to make so it's not happening.

On another note, £10K to go for the KS campaign. I think they might even have to think about stretch goal now!

In the Headfonia review it was stated that the R2A presented a larger sound stage than the Pro version.  Maybe it's the 'looser' additional micro vibrations that allow a bigger/fuller stage.  I used to own Mirage Omnisat speakers which used reflected sound to create an enormous sound stage.  I don't think sound quality (detail, separation etc...) took much of a hit over the Kefs I was using before... but wow was the music immersive (gotta dig those speakers out of storage sometime when I'm in the right living space).

May 30, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #264 of 3,098

I've already said that I'm not from the very first post I've made about the subject. I also don't know why you seem so offended by my musing which is a moot in the end anyway.

Sheesh, this place indeed. Lol.

I'm with you with the lol ..

I know where you're coming from completely - people choose their distortions because they can make things sound good, better than real life perhaps. Disagree about valves per se though - they have different properties e.g. can be more linear than solid state devices. Depends on the what the designer chooses to do. Poor designs will distort and that might be pleasing to some.

The point of the ali and the steel is not to provide different flavours for people, but to provide different price points. That some will prefer those lesser models (in their view) is not their intent exactly but is just the reality of subjectivity.

I'd bet wood versions would have a sound so far from the revolutionary sound of their base model, the R2A, that they'd have to be priced as a £20 pair of ear buds to fit in the price/sound ratio, and so make a loss on each one.

May 30, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #265 of 3,098

In the Headfonia review it was stated that the R2A presented a larger sound stage than the Pro version.  Maybe it's the 'looser' additional micro vibrations that allow a bigger/fuller stage.  I used to own Mirage Omnisat speakers which used reflected sound to create an enormous sound stage.  I don't think sound quality (detail, separation etc...) took much of a hit over the Kefs I was using before... but wow was the music immersive (gotta dig those speakers out of storage sometime when I'm in the right living space).

I think when we get ours, we will be able to judge on the listening abilities of the reviewers - good for general impressions but sometimes the subtlties are a matter of interpretation, sometimes just a difference in understanding of the language, semantics.

Could be that the "larger soundstage" experienced was more of an all encompasing, overwhelming sound rather than soundstage width per se. If you see what I mean.

May 30, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #266 of 3,098
I don't know if this is a good reason for optimism, but the two other headphones I've owned made by high end speaker manufacturers - the Focal Spirit Pros and the Martin Logan Mikros 90s - are the best headphones I've heard. They are both very technically good but more importantly to me, very musical. 

May 30, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #269 of 3,098
I think when we get ours, we will be able to judge on the listening abilities of the reviewers - good for general impressions but sometimes the subtlties are a matter of interpretation, sometimes just a difference in understanding of the language, semantics.

Could be that the "larger soundstage" experienced was more of an all encompasing, overwhelming sound rather than soundstage width per se. If you see what I mean.

I had a relatively limited time with the R2A and R2Pro (hours, not days or weeks) but I didn't notice a difference between the two models in this respect. There may be such a difference but it was not apparent to me in the time I spent and with the tracks and equipment I used.

As I stated in my original review post I slightly hesitated to use the term "soundstage" with the R2*s because it's a term that describes an essentially artificial experience (an auditory illusion), while the experience of listening with the R2*s feels natural and real to the extent that I didn't really think about soundstage until I switched to my Shures and Samsungs to make a comparison. The Shures in particular had a left-middle-right sound. The Samsungs are better but soundstage is still something in one's consciousness when using them. When I listened with the Flares I just didn't focus on this kind of thing because my attention was drawn to the music more than to any techniques used in its rendering.

edit:typo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back