Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
May 29, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #241 of 3,098
  I wonder if it will be easy for me to sell the R2A if its not to my liking? I hope there is demand for it still by then! I am still not 100 percent behind the backing but I am not changing it at the moment. I hate using comply foams and I haven't read too many impressions of people using it with silicone only and reporting on how it sounds :frowning2:  Thats my one and only worry, that I would somehow need comply to get the best sound and I don't feel like paying comply every so often.

After the Comply dies I'm hoping I can switch to Shure foam or another of the alternatives listed on this forum.  I really don't like supporting Comply, the markup is insane.

May 30, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #242 of 3,098
I didn`t think they could get to 100K but maybe they are going to do it. Good stuff.

backers

days to go

£88,075
pledged of £100,000 goal

You pledged £79.e a backer!

May 30, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #243 of 3,098
  After the Comply dies I'm hoping I can switch to Shure foam or another of the alternatives listed on this forum.  I really don't like supporting Comply, the markup is insane.

Agree actually looking at getting a silicon custom sleeve made perfect fit and long lasting can't go wrong :).

By the way thanks for the support guys here is a link to another review of the R2Pro and R2A giving a little comparison between the too sorry if someones already posted the link but here it is again anyway: http://headfonics.com/2015/05/the-r2a-and-r2pro-iems-by-flare-audio/

Seriously if nothing else the R2A's will be killer product just because of price performance ratio! If they sound close to the Pros let your mind be at ease its good enough lol although, I say that now but i've never managed to stop that surge of curiosity to find something that sounds even better so...... Balls in your court hope this helps a little. Didn't think they were gonna get the backing but looks like they just might now. 

May 30, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #245 of 3,098
I think it won't be difficult to hit their project goal. Pledges surge in the last couple of hours

May 30, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #248 of 3,098
Yes, they're going for a rigid, non-resonant enclosure. Think of this as the anti-FX850!

May 30, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #249 of 3,098
...I hate using comply foams and I haven't read too many impressions of people using it with silicone only and reporting on how it sounds :frowning2:  Thats my one and only worry, that I would somehow need comply to get the best sound and I don't feel like paying comply every so often.

I feel the same about the price of Comply tips here (I'm in UK). They typically cost £15 for three pairs. As my IEMs are virtually welded to my ears this gets too expensive with consumable or non durable items. You can use silicone tips with the Flares but you really do need a perfect seal and for the IEM to be held firmly to get the best out of them. You might get this with silicones but it's more variable and for many people it will never work out. I found that some silicone tips from Ultimate Ears UE600 worked well for me but with noticably less isolation than the Comply tips.

A good alternative is earphonesplus.com foam tips. They are one third the price of Comply. They don't have the plastic tube in the middle so with some IEMs they just can't fit securely enough, but I found they worked really well with the Flares which have a groove around nozzle that gives a bit of purchase and makes sure tips are seated right. They seem to be made of the same foam as Shure foams (or very similar) and in my experience are extremely durable. Even better is that you can wash them with soapy warm water and they dry out to be exactly as good as new both in appearance and function, unlike Comply tips which definitely lose their elasticity and can look very unappealing as well.

May 30, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #253 of 3,098
I feel the same about the price of Comply tips here (I'm in UK). They typically cost £15 for three pairs. As my IEMs are virtually welded to my ears this gets too expensive with consumable or non durable items. You can use silicone tips with the Flares but you really do need a perfect seal and for the IEM to be held firmly to get the best out of them. You might get this with silicones but it's more variable and for many people it will never work out. I found that some silicone tips from Ultimate Ears UE600 worked well for me but with noticably less isolation than the Comply tips.

A good alternative is earphonesplus.com foam tips. They are one third the price of Comply. They don't have the plastic tube in the middle so with some IEMs they just can't fit securely enough, but I found they worked really well with the Flares which have a groove around nozzle that gives a bit of purchase and makes sure tips are seated right. They seem to be made of the same foam as Shure foams (or very similar) and in my experience are extremely durable. Even better is that you can wash them with soapy warm water and they dry out to be exactly as good as new both in appearance and function, unlike Comply tips which definitely lose their elasticity and can look very unappealing as well.

Did the nozzle some seem like the regular diameter of most iems? I have a custom silicon tip I will use, but I hope it will fit and if it does, that it doesn't affect the sound negatively.

May 30, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #254 of 3,098
Did the nozzle some seem like the regular diameter of most iems? I have a custom silicon tip I will use, but I hope it will fit and if it does, that it doesn't affect the sound negatively.

I don't have any of the "Most" brand :wink_face: I notice my Shures are a different size to my Samsungs which are different to my Digital Silence which are different to my Xiaomi Piston 2 which are different to my Xiaomi Piston 3 which are different to my Sennheiser CX.....you get the picture.

Anyway Comply T200 are a tight fit on the Flares, very much like Shure tips or Comply T100 on Shure SEs can feel glued on. I guess the nozzle is about 5mm diameter at its widest with a narrower grooved section behind it (see this thread's images) but you would have to ask Flare Audio for a reliable answer.

May 30, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #255 of 3,098
  Hmm, I asked for possible wood enclosure, but looks like it'd goes against the point they're trying to achieve so it's probably not going to happen.

hehe - kind of like wanting to buy a carbon fibre Pagani Zonda  but asking if you can have it made by traditional 1960 Ferrari methods, panel beaten steel over a wood frame.

Get some vinyl wrap if it's about the looks.

Not so much then trying to make or a achieve a point, it's about how it works to get the sound , which is the reason you want to buy them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back