Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
May 28, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #196 of 3,098
As far as I understood it as Davies did his best to explain it to me the difference isn't ascribed to rigidity. In such a tiny form and with the tubes CNC milled from a block, there can't be any great difference between the relative rigidity of aluminium, steel, or titanium in this application. I suggest you email Flare Audio for a description of how the same driver/cable combo sounds different according to the properties of enclosures of different materials. If you are in UK you could also audition the IEMs. Of course auditioning doesn't provide the explanation/description but it does offer a practical demonstration.

At the moment I'm nowhere near the UK.  If I were my first stop would be a certain pet store to return my Norwegian Blue.

I assumed the differences were due to rigidity and/or hardness; I guess I do need to e-mail Flare if I want to understand the science behind the different models.

May 28, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #197 of 3,098
Will have my review up tomorrow if I can guys. Honestly I can't take these out my ears I'm a little addicted don't want to say it but this really is the best dynamic driver I've ever heard!

If anyone has got a pair of Ditas they fancy lending out to add to the comparisons it would be useful and very interesting to see the results.

May 28, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #199 of 3,098
Hey guys, planning on buying the R2A Blacks double with a friend once I get paid on Friday. However, I already have a pair of RHA T10i's, I've also used the Dunu DN1K's extensively before selling them for the RHA's.

My two questions :-

1) Will these be an upgrade clarity wise over my RHA's?

2) Will these fit RHA tips (seriously, those grey hybrid tips are the best I've ever felt - and heard - that are non-comply/foam), I know these will come with Comply's this is just more for when the Comply's wear away too much, as replacement is quite expensive.

Just also wanted to say, these look very impressive, it will be the first Kickstarter I back, only have to wait 2 months tops,and that Headphonics review makes it seem that these will be a definite upgrade, for half the price.

Also, my friend may be buying the RHA MA750's, I told him to consider these instead, since these are similar to SE215's, would I say it's safe?

May 28, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #201 of 3,098
Hi guys. I somehow managed to get the great people at flare to send me a pair of the Pro's to demo. Didn't want to mention it because USPS seemed to be holding them hostage and wasn't sure they would make it here before their campaign ended.

OMG!!! Clear and natural is how I describe them. Everything j wanted me etymotic er4pt's to be. The bass is just amazing. I'm listening to some Michael Buble right now. And the uptight bass is incredible. It's like it's right in front of me. Deep and clear. Can basically hear his fingers pluck the strings. Impactful but controlled.

All the instruments are pinpoint placed. It's like I could almost reach out and touch them.

Was listening to zep' mothership just before. John Paul Jones's bass was also monstrous. Not overwhelming. But powerful. Page's guitar was great. I could really tell it was a small overdriven amp dialed in to sound bigger than it should. And the effects on whole lotta love had my head spinning.

Vocals sound so natural and "right". Every once in a while Buble's are a little too "thick" almost. But probably due to how it was eq'd.

And there's been discussion of a lack of treble. I don't think that's the case. I can still hear the air around the instruments. And the top sizzle of the cymbals. I think it's because it's so natural it seems to be lessened. I also now wonder if most other headphones I've heard done add some even order harmonic distortions. So it makes things seem "clearer" and apparent better separation? Maybe.

My intended use is for mixing and use as IEM's on stage. Once I finish a mix I'll see how well it translates. And with the great isolation I can only imagine these will be great on stage.

Fwiw I had already upped my pledge to the Pro/A combo. I won't get the A's until they ship out with everyone else. So I can't compare them. But not sure what I'll do with more bass. These are already incredible. But for the price couldn't pass up the combo.

If you're on the fence. Get off and go sign up at kickstarter. If not you'll probably regret it later.

May 28, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #202 of 3,098
I found the kickstarter by accident double checking here makes me feel better. Online reviews seem very positive and scope for upgrades and replacements. I've only had my CKR10 a few weeks from Aliexpress £50 and they compare fairly well to my B+W P7S. My FIIO X3K came yesterday, a change from Galx s4 + Neutron player.Ill do a layman's view on this thread with my E 18's,Fat man mi tube, dap and Hphones when the Flares are released. R2 blacks @£79 pledge. 200 left I think. Thanks for the advice as always Hfiers.
kind regards
Dave x

May 28, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #203 of 3,098
.... John Paul Jones's bass was also monstrous. Not overwhelming. But powerful.

Oddly one of the "Early Music" tracks I listened to while auditioning the R2*s was in fact composed by JPJ in the 1980s but in the style of Spanish music of the South American colonies of 15th or 16th century: http://www.discogs.com/Andrew-Lawrence-King-Harp-Consort-Luz-Y-Norte-Amores-Pasados/release/6878771

May 28, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #204 of 3,098
I just sent a message to Flare on Kickstarter asking about the Stainless middle model and the materials used.  This is the reply I received (very promptly):

I can totally understand your question, I will try to explain.
With traditional earphones the sound you hear is mostly reflected, that's the traditional 'acoustic' approach and it really adds a lot of distortion. With Flare technology I've used a physics approach in that I understood that a driver needs to have its movement controlled by balancing pressures both in front and behind the diaphragm, not just dampened (as the traditional approach has taught for over 100 years.
I'm explaining this as material choice dictates the spring effect of the R2 enclosure.
Sending pulses of sound at any material and it will flex, the more ridged a material is the less spring effect it has.
Springs absorb energy so in a sound device it removes detail. Think of it like a 96k full res audio and then start to add some compression as the spring increases. The R2A is the most 'springy', Stainless R2S is 6x less, then Titanium is 12x less.
So this translates to an effect on the sound of increasingly more detail as you move up the range using the stronger material.
I hope this explains what I'm trying to say, if you can afford to and want the best possible sound the R2PRO is for you, if not go for the R2S, then R2A.
I really hope this helps give you some straight up guidance from my perspective as the inventor/designer.
Ps sorry we've not managed to get the reviews out as quickly as we liked (especially the R2S), it's been crazy here and we are just a small team.
Kind Regards,
Davies

May 29, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #210 of 3,098
I'm pretty sure they've already gone into production. I don't know that for a fact. But they've dropped some hints at that. Mostly that they are going to try and ship all the pro's and A models a couple of weeks after it ends. Then shortly after the stainless models. So if that's their plan, and have gone into production, then I think they would have to ship whether or not the target is met. But considering how much it's gained in the last couple of days, I think they will make it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back