Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
May 27, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #137 of 3,098
That could be cost price and they've decided not to make money on that side? Who knows. I'm sure if JH replaced the £7-£13 knowles drivers they'd make it like £60 each. However, pretty much all iems and ciems are sealed and non-user replacable so then psychologically they can get away with charging any old price because they can hide behind the mystique of refurbing the whole thing.

(Someone will come along any minute and tell me JH do replace drivers and charge £7 .. :p   I was only guessing.)

Remember also that full retail price includes the dealer margin which must be built-in even if you were buying direct else they would be undercutting their own distributers and dealers - a sad fact of commercial life unless a company takes the time to supply direct and employs a whole team doing that - in the "I want it now" culture of the high-end hifi, availability is king and direct sales don't cut it.

Very true touché subject but I suppose for what is essentially going to be a £400 iem £35 for a complete replacement driver and wire is perfectly reasonable price.

Really am excited for this little monster I'll be up early morning moment it arrives will start listening. Thank goodness I've got a day off will be spending some serious time with these.

May 27, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #138 of 3,098
Very true touché subject but I suppose for what is essentially going to be a £400 iem £35 for a complete replacement driver and wire is perfectly reasonable price.

Really am excited for this little monster I'll be up early morning moment it arrives will start listening. Thank goodness I've got a day off will be spending some serious time with these.

Yes...and you will, just been listening for well over 3 hours solid. Different music styles, loud, quiet, with phone, with Hugo. I have never listened to a pair of earphones that never appear to fatigue. I could honestly listen for another few hours happily. One thing of note after many hours of play now is the midrange separation. It's very clean and all instruments are always accurately positioned in the soundstage without bleed our movement. If you want to follow a bloke hitting a triangle all the way through a song then you can hear the triangle and all the nuances....it's insane.

May 27, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #140 of 3,098
Yes...and you will, just been listening for well over 3 hours solid. Different music styles, loud, quiet, with phone, with Hugo. I have never listened to a pair of earphones that never appear to fatigue. I could honestly listen for another few hours happily. One thing of note after many hours of play now is the midrange separation. It's very clean and all instruments are always accurately positioned in the soundstage without bleed our movement. If you want to follow a bloke hitting a triangle all the way through a song then you can hear the triangle and all the nuances....it's insane.

Did you happen to try any EDM or Dubstep with it? I wonder how top 40 music sounds with the R2pro. I am just trying to figure out whether the R2A or R2Pro would be better for me. Thanks in advance Phil. Would love read more of your thoughts on how they sound. 

May 27, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #141 of 3,098
Did you happen to try any EDM or Dubstep with it? I wonder how top 40 music sounds with the R2pro. I am just trying to figure out whether the R2A or R2Pro would be better for me. Thanks in advance Phil. Would love read more of your thoughts on how they sound. 

I'm a fan of skrillex, I'm also a fan of wanting to hear a recording rather than just the music. I have heard a few Skrillex songs on other phones where the bass has been more dominant but the midrange had suffered because of this. The same track on these doesn't have such a low bass response but is more textured and doesn't screw up the mids which is much more to my liking. If you just want tonnes of over blown bass these are not for you.

May 27, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #142 of 3,098
I'm a fan of skrillex, I'm also a fan of wanting to hear a recording rather than just the music. I have heard a few Skrillex songs on other phones where the bass has been more dominant but the midrange had suffered because of this. The same track on these doesn't have such a low bass response but is more textured and doesn't screw up the mids which is much more to my liking. If you just want tonnes of over blown bass these are not for you.

I am a fan of quality over quantity when it comes to bass. Does the music sound engaging enough when listening to these genres? I am just trying to see if it will be able to handle all genres. I already have dead neutral cans but they aren't as engaging with some types of music.

May 27, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #143 of 3,098
I almost wrote that these are neutral however my stance on that word actually means to the point of losing musicality so I didn't use that word. Yes indeed they are exceptionally engaging with all types of music.....even Sinatra. Lol

May 27, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #145 of 3,098
I almost wrote that these are neutral however my stance on that word actually means to the point of losing musicality so I didn't use that word. Yes indeed they are exceptionally engaging with all types of music.....even Sinatra. Lol

Glad to hear that :)  I am sure a lot of people would appreciate an in depth impression on them if you have the time later. I don't know if there are any restrictions on that for MOT members but it would be of great help :)

Cheer and thanks!

May 27, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #146 of 3,098
Jumped on the R2Pro. Will be selling some gears once it arrives in order to fund this purchase! Hoping it works well with the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite V2 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back