Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
May 27, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #121 of 3,098
I'd be really interested to see a comparison of the R2As to universals priced around their MSRP (~$129 USD) and with similar (from impressions from others) sound signatures:  
- Yamaha EPH-100
- Shure SE 215 
- RHA MA-750

Edit: Thanks RedJohn456, forgot about the 55% off on KS. The MSRP the R2A's have is actually ~$270 USD so these wouldn't be fair comparisons at all.

May 27, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #122 of 3,098
  I'd be really interested to see a comparison of the R2As to universals priced around their MSRP (~$129 USD) and with similar (from impressions from others) sound signatures:  
- Yamaha EPH-100
- Shure SE 215 
- RHA MA-750

R2A will cost $270 actually so those are not a fair comparison. The lower price is just for KS. Furthermore the R2A would flat out MIRDER the three you mentioned, going by the reviews.  

May 27, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #124 of 3,098
Oh it's worth mentioning I will only be getting the R2PRO not the R2A but from what I have heard it's more likely to be competing with the likes of the ie800 and maybe even the DIta the answer.

May 27, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #125 of 3,098
- Yamaha EPH-100
- Shure SE 215 
- RHA MA-750

Edit: Thanks RedJohn456, forgot about the 55% off on KS. The MSRP the R2A's have is actually ~$270 USD

I'll be visiting Flare in the morning. I have SE215 so will be able to offer an opinion. I don't have the RHAs or Yamahas.

May 27, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #126 of 3,098
I'll be visiting Flare in the morning. I have SE215 so will be able to offer an opinion. I don't have the RHAs or Yamahas.

Se215 was my daily driver....can't possibly portray how different the R2 PRO is from the 215's. Seriously the R2PRO makes me find time in the day to listen to them. Not the other way around.

May 27, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #127 of 3,098
Oh it's worth mentioning I will only be getting the R2PRO not the R2A but from what I have heard it's more likely to be competing with the likes of the ie800 and maybe even the DIta the answer.

Do you own the Dita's? They're not in your profile. I have them and I'd really like a comparison - actually I kind of hope the R2Pro's will outclass them - Dita's have an excellent soundstage and terrific mids at least to my taste, to me the Dita's are the single dynamic (metal) earphones to beat

May 27, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #128 of 3,098
Do you own the Dita's? They're not in your profile. I have them and I'd really like a comparison - actually I kind of hope the R2Pro's will outclass them - Dita's have an excellent soundstage and terrific mids at least to my taste, to me the Dita's are the single dynamic (metal) earphones to beat

Nope I don't but we shall see I will be getting in touch with a few people to try get some loaner samples the ie800, shure se215 are definitely not an issue there pretty much on tap. However some of the others may be a little tougher to get hold of.

May 27, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #129 of 3,098
Se215 was my daily driver....can't possibly portray how different the R2 PRO is from the 215's. Seriously the R2PRO makes me find time in the day to listen to them. Not the other way around.

I actually prefer my very cheap Samsung dual dynamics over the SE215 in every way except isolation and build/materials quality. I also prefer my Piston 3s over the Shures except for isolation. I think the world moved on, meanwhile Shure's budget offering is stuck firmly in the past. Assuming Flare's IEMs are at least somehwat as described then I'm not expecting the Shures to be competitive. I'll make the comparison anyway just because they are a well established, well known product that lots of people know and for which there are serious and credible reviews and measurements available.

Oddly the budget Samsungs and Xiaomi Pistons might be a more interesting comparison because, like the Flares, they have both had considerable thought put into addressing pressure imbalances - the Samsung with two ports and a vent and the Xiaomis with dampening and their "Spiral Pipe" bass port/vent. Flare Audio's patented tech is called Vortex I think.

edit: correction:

before ..Shure with two ports
after ..Samsung with two ports

May 27, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #130 of 3,098
I would love a comparison to the Westone W40 as that retails at a similar price. I've just lost my pair of W4's so the the W40 is the closest I could get today to that.

May 27, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #131 of 3,098
  It seems they'll be offering the cable and the drivers already assembled as user replaceable parts, so theoretically, they should be able to offer the drivers with the socket soldered for the users to replace themselves too.

Don't ask me how you do it though, I hope they post video with the steps.

From their video, they have a 3D printer in their work shop for their speakers or something. I'd think they could design and test something solid which attached to the rear of the driver, was thin to pass through the cable hole and then widened to a connector underneath. Only thing is satisfying consumers with some kind of standard connector perhaps, if not they could come up with their own design and still provide their own selection of cables. It could also be a challenge to do that whilst still providing a fit which makes you forget you're wearing them.. Alternatively a new screw-on back with a connector somehow (the twist of the screw would make that difficult though..).

May 27, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #132 of 3,098
Quite. I don't expect foam tips to last more than a couple of weeks. They go in your ears, so they get a wee bit icky...

I use tips on my Shure se530s which squash and expand like Compli tips. They haven't gone icky, don't get dirty other than the normal inner cleaning all iems need every now and again and they are the same original set which came with the se530s, however many years ago (unused by the previous owner, I've used them for 4 years).

May 27, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #133 of 3,098
Have any other comparisons between the models or more reviews, come out? I am still debating between R2A and R2pro. I thought I was set on the R2a then I came back to this thread and am once again not sure which one to go for.

May 27, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #134 of 3,098
  Guys will have a sample tomorrow will post the review ASAP. Drivers and and cable replacement is going to cost £35 so gives you an idea of how cheap manufacturing costs really are.

By the way is there any comparisons anyone would specifically like to have included in the review and I will do my best.   

That could be cost price and they've decided not to make money on that side? Who knows. I'm sure if JH replaced the £7-£13 knowles drivers they'd make it like £60 each. However, pretty much all iems and ciems are sealed and non-user replacable so then psychologically they can get away with charging any old price because they can hide behind the mystique of refurbing the whole thing.

(Someone will come along any minute and tell me JH do replace drivers and charge £7 ..
tongue.gif
  I was only guessing.)

Remember also that full retail price includes the dealer margin which must be built-in even if you were buying direct else they would be undercutting their own distributers and dealers - a sad fact of commercial life unless a company takes the time to supply direct and employs a whole team doing that - in the "I want it now" culture of the high-end hifi, availability is king and direct sales don't cut it.

May 27, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #135 of 3,098
  Have any other comparisons between the models or more reviews, come out? I am still debating between R2A and R2pro. I thought I was set on the R2a then I came back to this thread and am once again not sure which one to go for.

Only thing I've seen since is a commenter on the kickstarter having gone to Flare Audio in person. Seems he was originally undecided but on listening immediately decided on the Pros.. and then so enthusiastic he got his brother to pledge for Pros too. Only small snippets of info but I'm talking about the comments by @CaffeineJunkie on the kickstarter. Be good to find he or she where on here too.

But of course Julian67 is going down there tomorrow I believe! So we can all be on the edge of our seats waiting for his write-up. No pressure Julian67.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back