Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
May 26, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #106 of 3,098
I went for the R2A's. I simply don't have the money right now to spend extra for the Pro's.

For what it's worth, I perceived 24bit's HeadFonics review the same way LuckyNat did -- that is, I got the impression from the review that the reviewer heard only minor sound signature differences between the R2A and the R2Pro. I guess we'll see...

May 26, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #107 of 3,098
I just read some of the newer comments on the Kickstarter thread and it was stated that only ONE pair of Comply tips will be included with the R2A package.  As someone who has used Comply tips in the past I've found they don't last particularly long (especially if you're in a humid environment).  Flare should provide at least 3 pairs; I assume they're getting them at a bulk discount and even if they aren't one pair of tips is beyond 'light on the accessories'.  I hope they will reconsider.

May 27, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #109 of 3,098
I just don't care about accessories or how many pairs of tips. I think of the various IEMs I've bought which failed or were unsatisfying enough that I don't use them. I have a collection of cases and lots of tips, clips etc which are essentially redundant.

And tips are consumables. Over the lifetime of a well made product you will be buying a lot of them. It makes no sense to worry about getting one pair or three. Also it's not like Comply tips need to be supplied in three different sizes. Every earphone I ever bought that came with Comply came with precisely one pair. Earphones with silicone tips came with one set of each size.

I think people ought to find something to complain about before complaining. Break that habit :wink:

May 27, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #110 of 3,098
Quite. I don't expect foam tips to last more than a couple of weeks. They go in your ears, so they get a wee bit icky...

May 27, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #111 of 3,098
I just don't care about accessories or how many pairs of tips. I think of the various IEMs I've bought which failed or were unsatisfying enough that I don't use them. I have a collection of cases and lots of tips, clips etc which are essentially redundant.

And tips are consumables. Over the lifetime of a well made product you will be buying a lot of them. It makes no sense to worry about getting one pair or three. Also it's not like Comply tips need to be supplied in three different sizes. Every earphone I ever bought that came with Comply came with precisely one pair. Earphones with silicone tips came with one set of each size.

I think people ought to find something to complain about before complaining. Break that habit :wink:

I personally don't really care about the accessories, I've already pledged for R2Pro, but I will keep saying what I think is obvious regardless if you think it's a complaint or not. :wink:

Also, Davies in the update page has confirmed that they will offer detachable cable option later on, just perfect!

May 27, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #112 of 3,098
Am curious as to how the replaceable cable option is going to work out, as I saw a picture posted in djworx's review showing the cable is soldered to the driver itself. Is it that the replaceable cable option will only be available in the later batches after the KS campaign ends?

May 27, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #113 of 3,098
It seems they'll be offering the cable and the drivers already assembled as user replaceable parts, so theoretically, they should be able to offer the drivers with the socket soldered for the users to replace themselves too.

Don't ask me how you do it though, I hope they post video with the steps.

May 27, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #114 of 3,098
I think the lack of tips is a valid complaint.  Especially considering Complys don't last very long.  Further while it may be easy for many to run down to the store and pick up a set, some of us are living in countries where that isn't an option.

Even dirt cheap earphones come with multiple sets of tips and silicone is much less disposable.  I think Flare needs to step up and supply more than 3 months worth of Complys.

May 27, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #115 of 3,098
Am curious as to how the replaceable cable option is going to work out, as I saw a picture posted in djworx's review showing the cable is soldered to the driver itself. Is it that the replaceable cable option will only be available in the later batches after the KS campaign ends?

It was shown in one of video review on Youtube. After opening IEM, you are able to pull out whole driver with cable connected. So if you need replacement, you will pay 40 or so pounds and get whole new drivers with cables conencted. So essentially you will buy Aluminium/steel/titanium body and everything else will be interchangeable.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 27, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #117 of 3,098
To be fair, the housing is probably made with lots of R&D and also, according to Davies on KS:
R2 is precision made by an aerospace supplier in the UK, we've done what we can to make the prices as attractive as possible to make R2 as accessible as we can.

As we step up the material hardness micro engineering becomes increasingly difficult with these tiny products. The tolerances of R2 are just 10 micron to achieve the amazing sound it generates which also means R2 is cutting edge precision in terms of manufacturing. Add the smaller numbers sold of the higher quality materials to improve the sound further and things get more expensive.

He's not saying much about the drivers when I asked it, beside the fact that it has been "specially produced". Trade secret I guess? Though it would be funny if turns out it uses Tenore drivers or something lol.

May 27, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #118 of 3,098
In a recent response Davies just mentioned that they are custom drivers and are 1/2 of the pressure balancing tech. So they probably aren't exactly like anything else. They are probably made by a company that makes drivers for other companies. And could be very similar. But this whole pressure balancing thing is theirs alone as far as I know. Hope they love up to the hype. Can't wait to hear them.

May 27, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #119 of 3,098
The drivers probably matter less than you think. People have been successfully making very high quality dynamic drivers for a long time now. They are cheap & available. The problems in IEMs are in putting them in a suitable shell and in achieving good manufacturing quality. And dreaming up some marketing bs for differentiation and getting some hypr going. Oh yeah, and in providing several pairs of tips which don't fit. Vital. Lol.

May 27, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #120 of 3,098
Guys will have a sample tomorrow will post the review ASAP. Drivers and and cable replacement is going to cost £35 so gives you an idea of how cheap manufacturing costs really are.

By the way is there any comparisons anyone would specifically like to have included in the review and I will do my best.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back