Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
May 26, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #91 of 3,098
Honestly, given my preference for a warm & smooth signature, these sound (pun unintended, but spotted) right up my alley. R2A's pre-ordered on my end.
cool.gif

May 26, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #92 of 3,098
One thing I noticed, it seems everybody reviews them with Comply tips. To me and I guess many others, comply always alternate sound in one way or another. So I would like to see some impressions with some silicone tips.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 26, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #94 of 3,098
  One thing I noticed, it seems everybody reviews them with Comply tips. To me and I guess many others, comply always alternate sound in one way or another. So I would like to see some impressions with some silicone tips.

The designer means for them to be used with Comply tips.  I believe it's a specific requirement to achieve the intended sound quality.

May 26, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #95 of 3,098
Comply is also a treble absorbing black hole. I wonder if you could eke out more treble with the use of silicon tips. That'll be the first thing I try

May 26, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #96 of 3,098
Hi guys, newish to headfi here. I've lurked around usually looking for reviews and what not, but this would be the first time I created account and posted something. I'm really tempted to drop the money for this kickstarter project, just not sure if it would really be worth it for me. My current set up is a X1 with an E07K and reshelled UM3x. I also have a Beyerdynamics DT770 that I use as well. I'm just worried that if I do drop the money on this, I'll end up not using it, especially if it doesn't live up to all the hype...

May 26, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #97 of 3,098
Hi guys, newish to headfi here. I've lurked around usually looking for reviews and what not, but this would be the first time I created account and posted something. I'm really tempted to drop the money for this kickstarter project, just not sure if it would really be worth it for me. My current set up is a X1 with an E07K and reshelled UM3x. I also have a Beyerdynamics DT770 that I use as well. I'm just worried that if I do drop the money on this, I'll end up not using it, especially if it doesn't live up to all the hype...

Well, most of us are also basically making leap of faith like you since most also haven't heard them.
And even if every people here have heard the IEM, no one would be able to ensure that you'd be satisfied since everyone hears differently. So yeah, it's kinda hard unless you yourself actually heard the unit.

May 26, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #98 of 3,098
Comply is also a treble absorbing black hole. I wonder if you could eke out more treble with the use of silicon tips. That'll be the first thing I try

I believe it was in the comments of the kickstarter thread that Davies said the tips don't affect sound like normal in-ears. Somehow the pressure balancing negates the affect tips can have. So they picked comply's as they're comfortable, have great sound isolation, and for more ears with less problems than silicone tips. I am one that struggles with silicone tips. So hope this is true. I prefer my ety's with their tri-flange tips, but getting a good seal is next to impossible. So I use their glide tips mostly.

May 26, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #100 of 3,098

Why would you want to "eke out more treble"? They sound absolutely amazing as they are in my opinion. :S

Regards

Phil

Hey Phil,

Can you cmpare any of the 2 with other widely used universals? Since those Flares supposedly offer a smooth signature, then the iems which feature such sound signature are specific in the universal world - definitely not countless.

That'd be very useful.

May 26, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #101 of 3,098
I'm very curious about this comparison as well, although it seems like the Pro is more similar to the Rockets (the reviewer seems to compare bass response to the HD800) The R2A seems to be quite bassy, garnering comparisons to the TH600. I'm really hoping the Pro is actually on the more neutral side, the review seems to suggest that the two sound nothing alike but it doesn't lay out the differences in tonal balance in a very clear way

Funny how we can all read the same review and get different impressions.

I took from the review that both were neutral and that differences were relatively subtle. Those differences being that the R2As had a slightly richer sound, more "bloom" and therefore a bit sweeter and smoother (and therefore more "fun" and forgiving) whilst the R2Pro was more precise and controlled but that the reviewer doesn't personally appreciate that aspect in his listening. Therefore that sweetness could give the impression of a more full bass than the Pro.

The interesting bits for me was the chat about the natural soundscape tracks he was listening to with the Pro making far off sounds easier to hear with the correct feel of distance to it (I would assume that to be less resonance and smearing hence "precise") whilst the R2As seemed to portray the louder sounds, like those of birdcall nearby, more prominently with the far off, quiet sounds a little vieled. Personally, with my taste in sound (and I do listen to soundscapes and fleld recordings) that makes the Pro worthwhile to me.

I got the impression that the R2As differences lend themselves more to long-term enjoyment of simply listening to music - as most people would want to use them for - without the incremental extra level of detail which sometimes shows up poor recordings too much for general listening. Most people want their music to sound good without being bothered by poor recordings so something which smooths that over a little can be a good thing.

Regarding the treble, sounds to me that the R2s are natural and smooth whilst some others like the JHs (perhaps to do with their multiple drivers and crossovers?) can end up with a little emphasis or pronouncement in the treble compared to reality but that many people are used to that sound and in fact enjoy that sound (a raised treble can give you a feeling of more energy and snap). I mean, if the claims are true that the Flares eliminate some distortion, that extra treble could simply be subtly grating distortion which makes it stand out and sound unnaturally prominent.

Ah yes... and the mention of "reach out and touch" physicality the R2Pro brings compared to the R2As... That's definately worth the extra to me! But not to that reviewer.

May 26, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #102 of 3,098
Funny how we can all read the same review and get different impressions.

I took from the review that both were neutral and that differences were relatively subtle. Those differences being that the R2As had a slightly richer sound, more "bloom" and therefore a bit sweeter and smoother (and therefore more "fun" and forgiving) whilst the R2Pro was more precise and controlled but that the reviewer doesn't personally appreciate that aspect in his listening. Therefore that sweetness could give the impression of a more full bass than the Pro.

The interesting bits for me was the chat about the natural soundscape tracks he was listening to with the Pro making far off sounds easier to hear with the correct feel of distance to it (I would assume that to be less resonance and smearing hence "precise") whilst the R2As seemed to portray the louder sounds, like those of birdcall nearby, more prominently with the far off, quiet sounds a little vieled. Personally, with my taste in sound (and I do listen to soundscapes and fleld recordings) that makes the Pro worthwhile to me.

I got the impression that the R2As differences lend themselves more to long-term enjoyment of simply listening to music - as most people would want to use them for - without the incremental extra level of detail which sometimes shows up poor recordings too much for general listening. Most people want their music to sound good without being bothered by poor recordings so something which smooths that over a little can be a good thing.

Regarding the treble, sounds to me that the R2s are natural and smooth whilst some others like the JHs (perhaps to do with their multiple drivers and crossovers?) can end up with a little emphasis or pronouncement in the treble compared to reality but that many people are used to that sound and in fact enjoy that sound (a raised treble can give you a feeling of more energy and snap). I mean, if the claims are true that the Flares eliminate some distortion, that extra treble could simply be subtly grating distortion which makes it stand out and sound unnaturally prominent.

Ah yes... and the mention of "reach out and touch" physicality the R2Pro brings compared to the R2As... That's definately worth the extra to me! But not to that reviewer.

I've actually seen the headfonics reviewer specifically mention on Reddit that the two phones "sound nothing alike." Highly, highly doubt that both are neutral. The Pro maybe, but not the R2A. His wording clearly points toward emphasis in the low end. I don't mind rolled off treble if the timbre and weight is good, such as on the Zero Audio Tenore. Having been thru as many phones as I have, I tend to be pretty picky about treble these days.

https://m.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/367e4a/flare_audios_r2a_and_r2pro_are_stellar/

May 26, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #103 of 3,098
I've actually seen the headfonics reviewer specifically mention on Reddit that the two phones "sound nothing alike." Highly, highly doubt that both are neutral. The Pro maybe, but not the R2A. His wording clearly points toward emphasis in the low end. I don't mind rolled off treble if the timbre and weight is good, such as on the Zero Audio Tenore. Having been thru as many phones as I have, I tend to be pretty picky about treble these days.

https://m.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/367e4a/flare_audios_r2a_and_r2pro_are_stellar/

That to me sounds like the usual sonic memory lapse and a move on to exagerated opinions as what happens when you move from your senses to thinking about things too much. You read it all the time when reviewers get asked more and more questions some while after the comparisons..

Read these bits again from the review when he compares the two and notice the language he uses (I'll highlight them):

There is more of a sense of width occurring inside the R2Pro, but at the cost of stage height. ..
During music track testing, I didn’t hear much of a difference in stage size, both IEMs seems to portray great height, width, equal separation quality and the same effortless sense of appeal.  However, it wasn’t until I started running Naturespace binaural tracks that I noticed the R2A was larger sounding. 

....  The R2Pro is slightly more forward and enveloping than the R2A as well, the feeling of sitting in with the band is a little less satisfying on the R2A.

Bass

This model boasts less substance and firmness than the R2A, but certainly pushes a bit more purity.  It also has a tendency to sound drier and truer to the texture of the recording, something very noticeable when A/B comparisons are made ....

..... A sacrifice of quantity for and upgrade in quality is what my gut tells me is occurring here.

..... but I can hear a flutter in the track that isn’t as prominent as when I swap out for the R2A.  So, clearly the Pro model is more revealing to those subtleties in the track and is more adept at revealing impurities than its little brother.

Mids and Treble

The R2Pro shares the same lush mid vocal experience as the R2A, which is forward and enveloping, exceptionally well formed and realistic in terms of placement of sounds as per what those Naturespace tracks tell my ears.  This model sounds a bit more stage forward and more like you are sitting closer in with the band, but only by a small amount over the R2A.  Clarity again is stellar and but that much better than what I hear in the R2A to justify the hefty price tag jump.  The main difference between this one and the R2A is not so much found in clarity, but more so in how well formed things seem.  The R2Pro does solidity and realism better, but I truly don’t hear clarity that is significantly better in the R2Pro than what is found in the R2A.

etc etc ..

Lots of "a bit more" of this and "slightly more" of that and a "little less" of the other, with some "isn't AS prominent" (but presumably is still present in the other) and having to resort to gut feeling because what he's speaking of is not massively obvious. All reads to me that he's describing subtleties which then become obvious subtleties once they've been noticed.

Reviewing is a difficult business I guess, in both finding the words to portray the experience and also in quantifying differences without allowing the "oh yeah!" surprise of just noticing something subtle from not becoming an over-powering realisation which might lead to an overstatement. Better them than me!

Thanks for the reddit link.

P.S. Ignore this post - I was in one of those moods.
tongue.gif

May 26, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #104 of 3,098
Seems a good deal to me to get that holographic physicality from the R2Pros for only £120 extra via the kickstarter, whether the other differences are subtle or large  !

I've paid more than the FULL price R2Pro in speaker upgrade moves to get closer to that in my system.

I would really hate to end up kicking myself when the Pros go to £400 and wishing I'd got them instead.

May 26, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #105 of 3,098
A guy in the kickstarter comments went to listen to them today and prefers the Pros: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/584645150/flare-audio-a-revolution-in-pure-sound/comments 

Goes by the name @CaffeineJunkie - is it someone who frequents here?

I like this comment (from Davies the designer):
"R2PRO gives you the impression that the sound is in your mind and with R2PRO being so small you forget that your wearing anything... It's a completely immersive experience."

That's what I've been looking for all this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back