FLANG COMBO KIT - HiRes audio DAP + Dock kit for everyone
May 10, 2018 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

IryxBRO

500+ Head-Fier
NOTE: FULL REVIEW IS PUBLISHED IN THREAD POST #30

SURPRISE: FLANG P5 DAP + S5 speaker dock giveaway on FB: LINK

Hello everyone, I would like to start this thread about very fresh and intriguing upcoming HiRes audio solution from FLANG - FLANG COMBO.

32565081_171354380213236_1431833287784923136_n.jpg

Why would FLANG call it a HiRes audio kit? - it seems that they've chased down common thought of many - having a possibility to purchase a good portable HiRes DAP to use with the preffered headphones TOGETHER with the dedicated and specially designed docking speaker station that would use the same DAP source and keep playing on the desk. At least, such an approach does match my expectations - I preffer listening to speakers, not the headphones, while at home...

DSC_7684.jpg

Let me point out that this product is very new and I am creating this thread to discuss the product, share its features (insider infromation) as well as my upcoming review. FLANG COMBO would be released very soon and I would keep this thread updated with the latest news about it.

3.jpg

Initial idea behind the development of FLANG COMBO:

Overall Design Objectives for FLANG COMBO Product Kit:
  • Provides audio quality which outperforms other products in the same price range
  • Offers greater flexibility in use
  • Offers an entry-level product with a high price-to-performance ratio
Design Objective for the FLANG HiRes DAP:
  • Offers superior audio quality compared to regular audio sources like smartphones, etc.
  • Provides best possible input signal for the speaker dock over USB type-C
  • Provides sufficient driving ability for a variety of high impedance headphones
  • Supports various audio formats such as wav, FLAC, ape, WMA, mp3, etc.
  • Supports the connection to other devices using Bluetooth
Design Objectives for the FLANG Speaker docking station:
  • Offers better audio quality than many other Bluetooth speakers priced below US$200
  • Supports docking input over USB type-C and additional types of connections
  • Has outstanding battery life
Digging deeper into declared technical characteristics that are available so far shows us how stated above objectives are brought into real life:

IMG78.jpeg

FLANG DAP available features:
  • Build on AKM independent DAC 4452VN
  • 116dB dynamic range
  • -117dB THD
  • high-performance special audio components are used in the power system and preamplifier section
  • sophisticated filtering system uses US AVX Tantalum Capacitors, Japan Murata ceramic capacitors.
  • Separate U.S. TI op-amp LM49721 on each channel, offers high-level signal for the amplifier.
  • 130mW (32Ω) power output
  • Bluetooth 4.2, low power consumption
product feature.png

Not much for now but I'd be filling this thread with new features as soon as I'd have it.. More innformation is disclosed about FLANG Docking station:

5.jpg

• Can be charged while playing music
  • Dual-pumps system to reduce EMC
  • Automatically adjusts boosting coefficient according to the battery voltage
  • ALC - automatically identifies distorted band and limits it, increasing the speaker's undistorted volume limit
  • Stereo 25mm dual neodymium iron boron high sensitivity magnetic circuit system improves NSV voice coil frequency
  • Metal tweeter cap improves higher freqs
  • Elastic suspension system to aid deeper and more powerfull low freqs
  • 120mm*60mm large size passive radiators, greatly improve sound pressure and low-frequency drive
  • Docking mode for HiRes DAP
  • Line-in
  • Bluetooth 4.2
  • High quality and low power consumption G-class amp
  • 4.8Wh Lithium battery
  • >14 hours battery life @ full charge (@ medium volume)
  • Digital signal acquisition and transmission over I2S (Inter-IC Sound) bus
  • Separate transmission of data and clock signals to avoid distortion caused by the time difference
  • Sandwich biscuit speaker structure: FLANG has created a unique structure which is divided into inner and outer layers, connected with a large number of reinforcing components to disperse harmful resonances and maintain higher rigidity and less weight
  • Electronics and electroacoustic are completely independent to minimize resonance
  • Smooth frequency response characteristics (50Hz - 20KHz)
微信图片_20180428171509.png

Looking at product pictures - DAP looks great and has some design and control elements that seem to be either unique or convenient, at least. Good that volume control is based on a wheel, buttons are numerous and physical. Screens seems to represent some simple monochrome LCD but I would say that this is totally ok if used in order to reach the best possible battery life. Don't ask me what are those piculiar and cute top barrels designed for... :) As for the Dock - the main point is that it can accept various types of connections (USB type-C, Bluetooth, Line-in) what makes it universal for any sound source. In case of FLANG DAP it uses digital data transfer to maintain the maximum sound quality... And it is also apparent that FLANG dedicated much of their efforts in technical design of this product - separate physical control buttons, sophisticated speaker and case construction... very promissing!

Really promissing! Can't wait to get my hands on both units and examine each separately and their cooperate mode. I have my beloved Edifier R1100 G-class amp active speaker set and want to compare how FLANG docking station would perform against this rival. Moreover, as my experience and practice shows - when some new names and products entering highly saturated and matured market - they really have something unique and worthy in their mind to target and conquer intended auditory.

Anyway, FLANG promisses to release the product any day now. They have already launched dedicated product page https://www.flang.co and FB campaign HERE. I hope that they would disclose the rest of the DAP and dock features and full technical specifications soon and I'd update this thread with some news.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back