Flaming lips
Sep 23, 2002 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Flasken

Exhibit A in the case FOR a legal drinking age.
Wow I really like this band!!

If you like radiohead, this is for you... Wow, great stuff here!!!

Sep 23, 2002 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 38
These guys have been around forever and I've never really gotten around to listening to their stuff, even though I've been told it's great. Their songs are a bit hard to find on gnutella, so I might have to buy one of their albums to give them a fair listen. Any recommendations, Flasken?

kerelybonto

Sep 23, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 38
Awesome band... agreed! Have you just been listening to mp3s Flasken? I don't have all their albums because they have a lot, but I hear they're all excellent except maybe their first two.

I've listened to a healthy dose of:
-The Soft Bulletin
-Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
-Transmissions from the Satellite Heart
-Clouds Taste Metallic

Those are all really good, and quite different from each other muscially.

Other Lips albums I've heard good things about:
-Hit to Death in the Future Head
-Telepathic Surgery
-In a Priest Driven Ambulance

Have fun!

Sep 23, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 38
The Lips are a great band, who have gotten better with time; their last few albums are all excellent.

Has anyone ever heard all 4 cds of Zaireeka simultaneously? I'm told its a really cool experience.

Sep 23, 2002 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 38
flasken, you have just discovered a "great" but very underappreciated band. If I were you I would start with "soft bulletin" and "yoshimi" if you like the "radiohead" type of sound, their older stuff is more of a harder sounding rock, but still enjoyable. They are going out on tour with Beck, they will be playing a set of their own to open the show and then they will be Beck's backing band for his set, unfortunately they won't be coming to Wisconsin, the closest they will get is Chicago, anyone want to go with me?????

Sep 23, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 38
Just so this doesn't become a FL fan club page I will report that I had read glowing reviews of their material and picked up two Cds
-satellite heart
-clouds taste metallic
and after several listens sold them both. Very "indie" noisy pop sounding, I appreciate their attempts at trying different things, but never felt they worked very well, sound more like experiments not yet finished. Also the "whiny" vocals were annoying to me, so not my cup of tea.

Although some comparisons can be made to early Radiohead or Pixies, I think both are far superior. Anyone care to elaborate on why they like FL?

BTW, please do not take any dissent as personal, just trying to get interesting discussion going.

Sep 23, 2002 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 38
dark angel, I hate you for not liking the lips, oh I'm just kidding, I actually agree in part with you, some of their earlier stuff sounds like "experaments" in fact their greates hits comp is titled "a collection of songs representing an enthusiasm for recording.... by amatuers" so I guess in a tounge and cheek way they would agree with you too, but I have to say their newer stuff, especially the last two albums are much more polished and have more of a direction to them. I believe that they would be the first to admit that all of the stuff they have recorded over the years has not come across as they would have liked. if you get a chance some time do a search on yahoo and find some of their interviews and I think you'll be surprised at how candid they are about it.

Sep 24, 2002 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 38
F F Hodges
You may-be absolutely correct since I have not heard "soft bulletin" or "yoshimbo" and their style may have changed, my comments are directed to the two earlier CDs I listed.

I did like the photo/graphics/typography on "satellite" CD......
cool.gif

Sep 24, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #10 of 38
darkangel- if you can get them I seriously recommend trying both "soft bulletin" and "yoshimi" they are much different than the albums you listed. try it and post your thoughts!!

Sep 24, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #12 of 38
Yoshimi is very different from Soft Bulletin. I would describe it as being much more "electronic" sounding, as it's very obviously digitally crafted.

fyrfytrhoges- If you come to Minneapolis I'll go to the Beck/Flaming Lips show with you. That's where they're kicking off the tour.
cool.gif

DarkAngel- I can understand why don't love the lips if you don't like Wayne Coyne's voice. I happen to like it, but it is a bit odd.

Sep 24, 2002 at 7:48 AM Post #14 of 38
Hey, sorry for not attending my own thread guys... THanks for the replies, it really is a nice band!!

kerelybonto,

GET KAZAA LITE!!! It is way better than kazaa and without the "extras"
rolleyes.gif
(spyware)

I've found 12 songs so far!! All great!! - most are from yoshima.

Quote:

Originally posted by BeeEss
The Lips are a fantastic band, I have a friend that owns a studio here and he has done some recording with them and also mixes the band at live shows. Recommended!

WOW COOOL!!!

Sep 24, 2002 at 7:23 PM Post #15 of 38
I used to have Kazaa/Kazaa Lite, but I switched to using Morpheus exclusively sometime last year. Since Morpheus moved off its own network to gnutella it hasn't worked well. My computer is down right now (using various others), but when it's back up I might try out Kazaa. As it was, the only two songs I could find were "Detachable Penis," (amusing, but nothing to get excited about) and some cover song with a guest vocalist. ...

kerelybonto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back