Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Jul 3, 2002 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

royboy2k

100+ Head-Fier
Cool title eh?

So I am currently listening to this new Flaming Lips album on their website, and I'm getting excited because this stuff is so good! I wasn't sure what to expect, but it seems they are pushing their sonic boundaries even further than what was delivered in The Soft Bulletin, their previous album. Many electronic sounds, devoid of grungy guitars, and gentle vocals mixed into weird pop songs.

Have a listen on www.flaminglips.com
The US release date for the album is July 16.

Jul 3, 2002 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 4
Have you read about this movie they're making, Xmas on Mars or something (I have visions of "Santa Claus conquers the Martians)? What's the deal with that? Is it a potential credibility destroyer?

I loved Soft Bulletin, so I'll certainly check out this new one.

markl

Jul 3, 2002 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 4
Yeah I thought the movie was a joke at first, but apparently it's real and slated for a Christmas 2002 release date, although not like a big budget movie.

Here's a key quote from a page I just found on their website:

"It is not intended for 'Christmas on Mars' to be released at conventional movie theaters. Instead, a DVD release will be preceeded by a number of screenings at rock venues. In true Flaming Lips style, the plan is to use more than the standard movie screening equipment and turn each screening into 'a big visceral event'. Speaking to mtv.com, Wayne has explained, "We want to show the movie with a mega-sound system and snow machines and just make it like a bigger event than what has become the typical movie-going experience. I'm hoping that people can watch this movie while they drink beer, smoke cigarettes, and have a good time."

Click for more info

Jul 4, 2002 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 4
The Soft Bulletin was a brilliant album. Can't wait for this new one. Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back