Flaming Lips comments?
Oct 8, 2003 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

johnny sack

100+ Head-Fier
I just recently grabbed The Soft Bulletin, Clouds Taste Metallic, and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.

I really dig The Soft Bulletin, and what I have listened to of the others so far as well.

What are favorite Flaming Lips albums?

Oct 8, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 21
Awsome band, i've been a big fan of them for some time. The soft bulletin and yoshimi are probably their two best albums, a major stylistic shift from the rest of their works.

As for my favorate, i'd hard to choose between the soft bulletin and yoshimi (Given all of the extra yoshimi songs that exists, many of which are better than those on the album, like up above the daily hum, funeral in my head, assassination of the sun, etc)

Oct 8, 2003 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 21
Clouds Taste Metallic is easily my favourite, theres not a bad track on it imo, Yoshimi didn't hold much weight with me for too long, got tired of it very quickly, its just completly emotionally overboard... whereas Soft Bulletin just brinkered on the edge of it and balanced beautifully and still remains stunning to listen to.

Apart from the 3 you've mentioned the only others I'd reccomend would be Zaireeka and Transmissions... both are very good.

Oct 8, 2003 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 21
IMO, there's really 2 Flaming Lips, pre-Soft Bulletin and post-Soft Bulletin. That record was their last-ditch, last major label release before they were to be dropped. Since, hey, no one is listening anyway, let's do something completely different. And it worked! They're more popular now than ever before. Yoshimi is pretty good, but spotty in places, but a worthy elaboration on the new sound of SB, IMO. Incidentally, great live band, a really fun show!
cool.gif

Oct 8, 2003 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 21
"transmissions from a sattelite heart" is good too.

"the day they shot a hole in the jesus egg" has the whole "in a priest driven ambulence" plus the mushroom tapes and a shipload of extra tunes from that session.

as for the post-bulletin lips, i like the unashamed emotion wayne puts in his songs. so many rock bands are too busy waving their dicks around to write a song that might be *gasp* sappy--but wayne pulls it off. songs like the one about the robot who learns to feel, the other about "feeling yourself disintigrate", about celebrating life instead of saying goodbye to everyone you know (cause you know they'll die someday).

i'm not a lyrics person but the lips are a rare group that sounds as good musically as they do lyrically.

oh, and:
the soft bulletin = pet sounds
cool.gif

Oct 8, 2003 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 21
flaming lips = good...how's that for a comment?

i'm firmly in the "yoshimi..." camp; as great as "the soft bulletin" is, yoshimi strikes me as being a more adventurous, eclectic and emotional melange of electronica and pop. The instrumental tracks are a high point as well...

- w

Oct 8, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 21
after just 1 listen to each of the 3 albums i have, i am in the Soft Bulletin group for my favorite

I really like the song 'race for the prize'

Oct 8, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 21
my fav is "Transmissions from the Satellite Heart"...an underrated classic IMO. The album got alot of attention b/c of "She Don't Use Jelly" but that song really does pale in comparison to some of the rockers on there.

Oct 9, 2003 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 21
The flaming lips are incredible, especially the post bulletin stuff. I saw them in concert earlier in the year: simply awesome. Personally, I have to say that the flow that The Soft Bulletin has makes it my favorite album.

Oct 9, 2003 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 21
I suddenly feel like spinning my copy of The Soft Bulletin.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2003 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by waylman
my fav is "Transmissions from the Satellite Heart"...an underrated classic IMO. The album got alot of attention b/c of "She Don't Use Jelly" but that song really does pale in comparison to some of the rockers on there.

YES!

it's my favorite too..

no one talks much about TELEPATHIC SURGERY.. it was my first Lip's album and the one that got me hooked on the band.. also HEAR IT IS has some great tunes on it too..

-jar

Oct 10, 2003 at 12:08 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

I suddenly feel like spinning my copy of The Soft Bulletin.

I loved that album so much I "listened to it to death", now I'm having to take a long vacation from it! Dash it all....!!!!

Oct 10, 2003 at 5:06 PM Post #14 of 21
I hate overlistening albums . . . The Soft Bulletin is good enough to where a couple of weeks without it would be long enough for me
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2003 at 1:47 AM Post #15 of 21
Strangly the soft bullitin didn't do to much for me.

I recorded a FL's tune off the radio some years back. I don't know the name of it but I like it alot. It has lyrics like...

"Come along if you dare. Don't be afraid to care. If everyone were different there'd be nothing left to change.

Nothing left...
Nothing left...
Nothing left...
There'd be nothing left to change."

If anyone could tell me what cd this tune came off of, I'd appreciated it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back