:flag_gb: CanJam London 2015 Impressions Thread! August 29-30, 2015!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #256 of 433
It does, but what concerns me is that a lot of the gear people have been drooling over all sounds a bit "meh" to me, (nothing BAD, just nothing that unwound spend money on when it comes to headphones) so I have a feeling I've gone a bit too far down the personal road I'm travelling down...

Wish I'd have listened to the Stax setup, a have a feeling that is the new direction that I need to head in...

I wouldn't be to concerned. It's a subjective hobby.

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #257 of 433
Does the DX100 have usb da functionality? If it does I'm rather embarrassed to say I never realised. I did not pick up a qp1r because I am unsure whether my dx100 is performing at it's best. @turrican2 has a hiby firmware on his and there are other different sounding firmware versions of the dx100 I've not tried.
The qp1r against mine did not have the warmth or the low down bass decay, but the questyle beat it in detail sound stage and plays dsd is far faster on the interface and lasts twice as long.
I can have sound coming out of 4 ports on the dx100 and it is much more powerful for less efficient phones like the hd800 although the qp1r did power the hd800s well enough on high gain.
Maybe we can get a different perspective from @turrican2?

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #258 of 433
  Thanks. Looks like the Questyle is next on my list (too bad it lacks usb dac functionality though).

I've asked for this feature previously and they mentioned that they'd pass it on to the firmware designer. They've already added EQ based on customer feedback, so it's not that big of a stretch to think we'll get USB DAC functionality eventually as well.

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #259 of 433
Does the DX100 have usb da functionality? If it does I'm rather embarrassed to say I never realised. I did not pick up a qp1r because I am unsure whether my dx100 is performing at it's best. @turrican2 has a hiby firmware on his and there are other different sounding firmware versions of the dx100 I've not tried.
The qp1r against mine did not have the warmth or the low down bass decay, but the questyle beat it in detail sound stage and plays dsd is far faster on the interface and lasts twice as long.
I can have sound coming out of 4 ports on the dx100 and it is much more powerful for less efficient phones like the hd800 although the qp1r did power the hd800s well enough on high gain.

No usb dac (I wish; not even usb charging). I have the R10 version running the Russian firmware. Haven't tried a headphone yet that it wouldn't drive (never tried the HE-6 though). Not perfect but every time I think of parting with it I'm reminded that its sound is still TOTL. Plus it has every output covered: 6.35mm, 3.5mm, LO, optical out, and coax out (all simultaneously I believe; prob not good for battery life).

Seems most players have similar battery life (-/+ an hour or two) except for the low output ZX2. But the sound of these newer players continues to improve even if they don't best all the current ones. Don't know how much of what people were hearing is from the "current mode amplification" but I can't wait to try it.

Doubt I'll ever give up my R10 though. Nothing wrong with having more than one DAP (already have a few).

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #260 of 433

I've asked for this feature previously and they mentioned that they'd pass it on to the firmware designer. They've already added EQ based on customer feedback, so it's not that big of a stretch to think we'll get USB DAC functionality eventually as well.

Great! Thanks!

When exactly will the QP1R be available?

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #261 of 433
  Great! Thanks!

When exactly will the QP1R be available?

I can only pass along what I last heard, but there was a shipment from the factory slated to arrive in the US the last week of August. Going by that information, any QP1 and QP1R in the shipment should be either moving through customs at this point or may have already cleared. The most accurate timeframe I can provide is "soon." Since everyone is returning from CanJam we could hear more in the next few days or so, but I'm sure all of the manufacturers could use a short recovery period after the exciting weekend.

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #263 of 433

I actually talked to Bruce about this at the Schiit Show and he told me they probably weren't going to add USB DAC functionality on the QP1R.  It has something to do with the USB connector that they're using or something.  But if it's a much requested feature, it's something they'd take into consideration for the next gen.

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #264 of 433
  I actually talked to Bruce about this at the Schiit Show and he told me they probably weren't going to add USB DAC functionality on the QP1R.  It has something to do with the USB connector that they're using or something.  But if it's a much requested feature, it's something they'd take into consideration for the next gen.

Thanks for the info!

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #265 of 433
I thoroughly enjoyed CanJam London!

From when I first walked through the main exhibition rooms and soon thereafter heard Jude's ever-energetic voice and saw his eyes smiling, I just knew that this event was going to be awesome, and it was!

Since upgrading my HD 800 rig to include the HDVD 800 in recent months, I've really enjoyed hearing its presentation of everything I've listened to with it, and with it I have mainly been listening beyond analysis of gear to a direct hearing of the sound, so recently, instead of analysing and buying head-fi equipment I've been buying heaps of CDs and haven't compared my desktop rig to anything else, and as super-happy as I am with it and as incomparable as it still is to me when I get deep with the music, I really love checking out cool head-fi gear. CanJam was such a perfect opportunity to hear some fantastic new head-fi gear and I loved every moment of listening, especially in the instances of feeling a great abundance of goosebumps whilst doing so! 

Here are some of my impressions from the show.

Sennheiser

It was perfect to see the guys at the Sennheiser stand, inc. Axel Grell (who was there on the Saturday) and also Rosmadi and Manuel, all of whom were super-friendly to me. Also, having just heard about the newly presented Sennheiser flagship headphone a few days ago I felt super-excited and felt the magic in the air about that bigtime! 

The first headphone I listened to at the show was the HD 630VB. I liked its design and it was evident to me that Sennheiser's as always impeccable craftsmanship with every aspect of its the creation was in effect, from the finish of the HD 630VB to its mobile device integration, which is probably the most sophisticated dual multi-mobile device (iDevice/Android) integration I’ve yet experienced with a headphone. Sleek.

Related to that, I thought that Acoustic Research M2 High-Resolution Grade Music Players feeding many of the headphones on the Sennheiser stand sounded fantastic. To the HD 630VB and my Amperior, music from the M2 was satisfyingly smooth and delivered with warmly visceral gusto and crystal-clear resolution. Mmm... :)

My visits to the Sennheiser stand also included me greatly savouring listening with the Orpheus, which still evokes the most unparalleled feeling of 'wow' I have consistently heard with a headphone rig. The smooth, slightly soft sounding super natural euphonic sound of the Orpheus is just beautiful to me.

Lastly, since the HD 800/HDVD 800 was right next to the Orpheus and being fed by the same source that was at the time playing the track "Late In The Evening" by Paul Simon featuring one of my heroes, drumming legend Steve Gadd, I decided to A/B the top two billed Sennheisers. Whilst in comparison to the Orpheus, the HD 800 is obviously less warm sounding and more revealing of micro-detail in a way that can lend itself to being very analytical, I still admired and loved the great musicality and totally immersive listening experience that is readily available with the HD800.

AKG

CanJam London was the first time I tried the flagship AKG K812 and I really liked it. I felt it was very light and comfortable to wear, features which reminded me of the HD800. Also, the tone of the K812 initially reminded me of that of the classic K240 but with more bass weight. More listening revealed the K812 to sound very well balanced, neutral and transparent and clearly showed what was on the recordings and equipment I peered into with it. The bass extended deeply, the mids were clear, the treble was super-revealing and all was delivered with a very neutral sound character. Though the K812 was designed for the pro audio market, to me it's certainly suitable for audiophiles. I really enjoyed the K812 and would gladly listen with it again.

HIFIMAN

Since seeing it on Head-Fi I've been very excited about trying the HE1000 and CanJam was my first opportunity to do so. Without any prior expectations about it, hearing music via HE1000 powered by the EF-6 I was amazed! 

The recordings I played though that combo were portrayed with immense clarity. The whole frequency range sounded very natural and well-balanced and the music was delivered very emphatically. The bass extended very low and on a few tracks where the focus of my attention was the prominent impact of the drummer's bass drum, I enjoyed the feeling of it reverberating in my torso. I noticed myself describing that sensation as gently visceral, and that was related to the smooth treble portrayal of the HE1000, which seemed to soften the sound of the bass drum beater making contact with the bass drum skin.

I loved hearing the treble region when listening with the HE1000. It generally extended very high and was very detailed whilst retaining a silky smooth texture that sounded non-fatiguing, even when the recordings I listened to we were bright or hot sounding, such as some of "Resolution" from John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme." 

The HE1000 provides such a smooth-sounding listening experience that is immensely high quality and exhibits exquisite levels of transparency. That, in addition to its pleasantly smooth sounding spectral tilt make the HE1000 one of the most awesome headphones I have heard to date. Super!

MrSpeakers

I loved hearing the MrSpeakers ETHER and ETHER C. I hadn't heard them before CanJam and am grateful for my inclination to check them out, inclusive of Jude's prompt to do so. I was very impressed indeed with how music sounded through both these MrSpeakers headphones.

Both of those ETHER models are clearly influenced by the Audez'e LCD series headphones, a few of which I have tried and owned. I appreciate and have muchly enjoyed the dark sounding visceral feel of the LCD-3 but a few years ago when I was considering purchasing one to be my only main headphone, I opted not to mainly because of its weight and also the lack of treble extension. The ETHER addresses both of those points by being much lighter than an LCD and providing very clear treble that extends high and sounds very natural. With the ETHER, listening to the acoustic sound of the Miles Davis Quintet studio version of "Circles" was a joy! The music sounded so beautiful to the point that I felt shivers of ecstasy when hearing the subtle textures of Tony Williams' brushwork. #Eargasm ! :)

In comparison to the LCD-3, the ETHER is leaner in the bass department and presents bass in a way that is smooth and natural sounding but lean and with plenty of visceral impact as required. Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was conveyed with effervescence and deeply resonated in my chest as Dave Grohl drummed - the impact of the bass drum was clearly prominent and the overall sound was very balanced to me. In the time I listened with the ETHER it has proven to be a very versatile headphone.

The ETHER C headphone was also very natural sounding and listening with it I felt the the impact of the music resonate in the earcups which gave the headphone a more heady feel in comparison to the ETHER, which provided me with a more whole bodied sensation. The treble of the ETHER C was rolled off in comparison to the ETHER, but overall both ETHER models were very clear sounding across the frequency spectrum. 

With the competitive price of the ETHER and the ETHER C, I imagine they will sell well in relation to other headphones in that price range. The currently growing popularity and distribution of these MrSpeakers headphones to me is very justifed. Well done Dan Clark and all involved in their creation!

Also worth noting was that the MrSpeakers headphones shared a table with Schiit, whose products I hadn't had the privilege of hearing before this CanJam. Though at this table I was mainly focused on the contrasting sounds of the headphones I heard here, I admired the quality of the Schiit amps and DACs including the Ragnarok, the Mjolnir 2 and Gungner (pictured above) and the great value combo of the Magni 2 and Modi amp (pictured below).

Schiit and MrSpeakers are distributer in the UK by Electromod whose conceiver, Mark, was present at this table and was very friendly throughout the day to me and deserves special mention here for being a consistently top bloke! 
smile.gif

V-MODA

My visit to the V-MODA stand was very enjoyable. I listened with the stylishly circum-aural Crossfade and found it to sound quite similar to but slightly brighter sound than the bass-generous neutrality of my supra-aural Amperior, but with the Crossfade having a bigger soundstage was very welcome to my ears!

In addition to the sound of the Crossfade I was particularly impressed by the visual element that V-MODA bring to the table. On display were many earcup plates of differing material and textures including, plastic, wood and metal. This aspect of V-MODA's production off customers a plethora of options with which to customize their cans, from plain to bling and many things. Their 3-D printed platings are a touch of class; V-MODA know how to make an impression. The guys at the V-MODA stall were all sound too!

Before I moved on from the V-MODA stall, I checked out the new Zn IEM, which as I understand were being launched at this show. The Zn's tangle free design is a welcome feature to me, and whilst they sounded clear overall they tended to become noticeably boomy on the bass depending on the track being played. Though I like and mostly use neutral-sounding headphones, I enjoy sonically colourful sounding headphones too, so if the latter's your preference and you appreciate stylish products, the Zn may very well be your next IEM.

Questyle

I hadn't heard of Questyle and their QP1 prior to CanJam and becoming acquainted with them was a brief but fun experience here. In relation to my iPhone playing lossless audio files as a source, the QP1 playing the same track as FLAC added more bass presence and a noticeably higher, clearer resolution and a more refined tonal texture. The QP1 looked beautiful (I thought its rose-gold colour was gorgeous), had a nice feel physically and felt like a luxury item. I particularly enjoyed playing with the sensitive functioning of its circular scroll wheel and once I worked out which button performed which function, I enjoyed the experience of using the QP1 more and more!

Pioneer

When visiting my friends at Custom Cable I was introduced to Pioneer's new flagship headphone, the SE-MASTER1. I had a brief listen to it there and thought that its sound resembled the HD800 but had a smoother tone conducive to being less analytical, much like like the HIFIMAN HE1000 - that said, all of those headphones facilitate the hearing of pretty much every sonic detail of recordings and equipment.

The SE-MASTER1 was being amplified by the Pioneer U-05 amp and together the combo sounded great. When listening to tracks from Jeff Beck's "Live+" album, I heard every detail clearly and was totally immersed in the music. The combination of the SE-MASTER1 and the U-05 is priced closely to the Sennheiser HD 800/HDVD 800 combo and seems like a really worthwhile choice for those looking for a synergistic headphone rig providing a highly detailed sound that is very smooth can easily get out of the way of the music. Though I didn't A/B them, the SE-MASTER1 could be good competition for the HE1000, as both of those headphones sounded similar to me with the Pioneer costing about £1000 less.

I also listened to the SE-MASTER1 when checking out the ETHER headphones at the Schiit stand. Third_eye was there too and we both enjoyed the A/Bing the new Pioneer flagship with on of the ETHER headphones. It will be interesting to see more of what the Head-Fi community think of the SE-MASTER1.

ViVa

One of the first tables I checked out at CanJam was the ViVa table, initially because I saw an Abyss headphone there, but as I listened to tracks from Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" album and the various headphones on their table, I became super-impressed as I listened through the incredible ViVa Egoista.

With the JPS Labs Abyss, the sound was very full-bodied and to my ears sounded warmer than neutral whilst simultaneously facilitating much energetic engagement with the music. The Abyss felt a bit clunky to wear, but sounded undeniably great. 

Listening to the Egoista was the first time I revisited the Audez'e LCD-3 in many months. The sound was just beautiful and provided a very neutral, slightly warm sound with great bass impact. The realistically visceral sound of the Egoista and LCD-3 felt very pleasing to me and instantly gave me goosebumps. What a great combo!

After switching between the Abyss and LCD-3, it was pointed out to me that there was another headphone on the table worth checking out, made by a company called Kennerton, and that there had only been 3 of them sold to date in Europe at the time of CanJam. Enter the Kennerton Odin.

Having never the Odin, it presented recordings similarly to the LCD-3 but with more treble emphasis, and it sounded nice but for some reason the tone of the treble sounded slightly artificial to me. The Odin seems a choice great for someone who loves the LCD-3 planar sound but is looking for some more sparkly up top. I wasn't too keen on the Odin's fit as after adjusting its earcups as far up the headband as they would go the top of the earcups weighed down on my ears somewhat uncomfortably, but that's just my head. :)

Overall, the sound of the Egoista was beautiful and really added some magic to the music I heard, especially via the LCD-3, the headphone that I was most familiar with between it, the Odin and the Abyss. Playing some of "The Nightfly" an impeccable-yet-lean sounding recording, the LCD-3 just sang and spoke to my heart. Some may say that with a Donald Fagen record that's quite an achievement!

Kudos to ViVa's presence at CanJam inc. the exemplary Egoista(!), the friendly company reps there (inc. the designer), and the awesome selection of headphones provided at the table. I would like to listen to the ViVa amps again with some headphones I am more familiar with. Here's to that chance appearing before I know it.

OPPO

I enjoyed my visit to the OPPO table. I'd heard a lot about the PM-1 from Simon at Custom Cable and I really enjoyed hearing it at CanJam. To me the PM-1 planar looks classy and super-stylish, sounds slightly on the warm side of neutral, and is very very comfortable both in fit and in sound signature. If I wanted to listen to music and hear every nuance in ultra-revealing detail, then the PM-1 probably wouldn't be my first choice of headphone, but for a beautifully stylish and sleek looking, lush sounding headphone that I could happily listen to for a very long time, for many hours at a time, the OPPO PM-1 would be very welcome in my collection. The fact that it is portable is also a bonus, though for portable use I'd probably opt for something more robust and save the PM-1 for the luxury of my den! 

The OPPO team on-hand were very friendly, warm and pleasantly welcoming. I think that OPPO have created some wonderful products that deserve to be widely recognized in the world of consumer audio, especially those attracted to well-refined luxury headphones with a simple, sleek design.

Brimar

Near the end of my time at this first London CanJam I decided to visit the Brimar table where I tried a silver-gold cable with my Amperior, and what a difference that cable made! It revealed a new level of detail particularly in the high frequencies and some added warmth throughout the whole sonic spectrum. The cable cost as much as my Amperior and with all music I played using that combo the sound was magical and gave me goosebumps! All of the cables on display by Brimar looked beautiful and it is obvious to me that much care has gone into their creation. Well done Brimar and Creevy (pictured)!

KEF

Having enjoyed my trusty KEF Cresta 2 bookshelf speakers for over a decade, I decided to check out some of what was at the KEF stand, where I tried the M500, a beautiful headphone aesthetically that was very comfortable to wear. Being used to the sound of my Amperior, the resolution of the M500 wasn't as revealing but the sound was pleasantly smooth and I enjoyed listening with it.

PENDULUMIC

One of the highlights of CanJam for me was visiting the PENDULUMIC stand and hearing the STANCE S1+ bluetooth headphone, another item I hadn't heard prior to this show. After its on-cup volume control was pointed out to me, I got to work listening and had a great time. To my ears the STANCE S1+ has a pleasingly neutral sound that extends quite high and sounds detailed whilst also smooth and slightly warm. The contrasting selection of music I played through it, from hard rock to be-bop and vocal pop, was all portrayed very clearly and was a very enjoyable experience.

When I spoke with Quentin Quek Chunbeng, the chief creator of the STANCE S1+, he explained much about its creation and was very on point. He and the rest of the PENDULUMIC team were probably the most welcoming company personnel I experienced at CanJam.

The STANCE S1+ is a high quality pleasantly neutral-sounding headphone that is stylish, very well-constructed and one of the finest bluetooth headphones I have yet experienced, and that it provides all that for under £200 is quite an achievement! It's obvious to me that the PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ has the potential to be hugely popular, and here's to it attaining the great recognition it deserves!

HeadAmp

When I visited the HeadAmp table, I experienced some truly outstanding headphone rigs that were definitely some of the very best on display at this show.

The HIFIMAN HE1000 and HeadAmp GS-X mk2 Amplifier is a great pairing and whatever music I fed the synergy of that combo sounded exquisite - indeed a true delight to behold!

At CanJam London, another of my dreams came true. It was the first time I'd been blessed with the opportunity to hear the HeadAmp Blue Hawaii with both the Stax SR-009 and SR-007, both of which I'd previously heard on different amps.

Listening to "The Power Of Equality" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Blue Hawaii drove the SR-009 to reveal every treble detail that I'd probably ever want to hear. Th mids were meticulously portrayed and very natural and the bass extended low to provide an super-satisfying visceral sensation that the SR-009 previously lacked the previous time I heard it. The SR-009 and Blue Hawaii combo is totally sublime and is one of the finest headphone rigs I have yet heard. There were no words in my mind as I heard this rig. Reflecting on the experience now, the peak performance of the 009-BHSE sang and gave the Chili Peppers recording one of the finest platforms on the planet to be heard with.

The SR-007 was also great to hear with the Blue Hawaii and sounded great in its own right and slightly softer and of a lower resolution that the SR-009, as as beautiful as it was, before I knew it I was reaching for the SR-009 again and listening beyond audio nirvana!

In closing, I am so glad that I attended this event. Beyond the obvious passion for headphones and music was a great love and camaraderie between the people in attendance and I felt so grateful to be present. It was touching to hear Warren Chi speak from his heart to me about his passion for sharing this hobby, great to be in the presence of Jude's exuberance and community spirit - without which this event wouldn't have happened - and a privilege to connect with friends and put faces to many Head-Fi avatars.

Checking out some of the finest head-fi gear on the planet was pretty awesome too!! 
atsmile.gif

Here's a final pic from Sunday when saying goodbye to Rosmadi and Jude.

And here's to the next CanJam! 

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #266 of 433
Went to check out the Oppo PM3 as a upgrade to my Sennheiser Momentum for my portable rig. The vocals on the Oppo were simply amazing. But unfortunately too laid back and ended up sticking to my Momentum. Had earlier in the day tried the B&W P7 at John Lewis and thought those were fun but ultimately too energetic/coloured. Momentum it remains for me now.

Went to check out the A&K range. Previous auditions of 100 version 1 had left me unimpressed. But A&K Jr did not please me, even at that relatively low price. The 100 II also did not. But I was truly impressed with the dual-dac 120 II. Wish it was cheaper. The price is about twice that of 100 II but is worth it relative to its little brother to my ears. Could not resist and ended up buying the 120 II.

Really liked the HE 1000 but was not in the market for a larger headphones. V-Moda definitely not my cup of tea.

Unfortunately missed the Kennerton Odin.

Thanks to all those who organised the effort. Looking forward to next year.

Pedro

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #267 of 433
Just landed in Singapore, hence this delayed post. CanJam London was AWESOME. It was great to meet everyone and to be able to put faces to the names! 

As usual, Jude and team did a wonderful job and we're very happy with the strong London turnout. 

Some pics:

Quote:
  A huge thanks to Axel on the Sennheiser stand. I brought along an old pair of HD 650's that I thought were beyond help (no bass). within 5 minutes he'd pulled them apart found the flaw and fixed them. Simple as that! Many thanks Axel, I've been ignoring those for best part of 5 years - no more...

Forwarded your message to Axel. He's just happy to be able to help! 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Sep 2, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #269 of 433

Trev, you owe it to yourself to try a few different FWs for your mighty DX100.  My personal favourite for a long time was 1.2.7 as that sound paired magically with my k3003, I found 1.4.2 a bit fat on the low-end.   Recently though, as you stated I've been using the Russian FW which was meant for the HDP-R10 but works flawlessly on the DX100 and even plays dsf files.  The main point of the Russian FWs are that they strip out all the android gunk and the player is just better and more responsive.  Hit me up with a PM if you want some good links etc.

Saying that, it wouldn't hurt to have a companion (qp1r)  DAP,  just to mix things up :wink:  I'm going to grab the Lotoo Paw 5000, I liked that a lot and was glad I tried it on the day.

Edit: oh, and as someone else attested to, the Dx100 does not function as a DAC, only the DX50/DX90 have that functionality.

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #270 of 433
Some pics and hightlights for me

First, a most interesting box from Germany - HD Klassik, (tip for all manufacturers, have a logo that people can actually read)
It's a headphone optimizer, you send them your cans, they tweak the amp to suit and send to you - about €3-4k - plus €200
if you change headphones as you'll need to change the amps customisation. Interesting people, passionate about HQ audio.
surely the box for the Head-Fi'r who has everything.
Hopefully they will join Head-Fi soon.

The beautiful sounding, but silly looking PAW Gold, loved the results with my T70p - thankfullly I am not alone in thinking the looks are dodgy and a grey version
with no gold is coming out soon. I wish it said Nagra on the top, having a Nagra DAP would be so cool, James Bond's DAP

901s - oh dear it really is better than my 901 + minibox, wish I hadn't heard it.
I put in my 64 gig SD card and took about 5 mins or more to update

QRP1 - or whatever it's called- great sound but no 901 killer, would be a superb machine if not for the very small
text on the display.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back