FLAC
Jun 18, 2012 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

wolfetan44

Headphoneus Supremus
Where do I find FLAC music. Ive looked up a couple of albums and have only gotten 1 album so far in FLAC. Is there a good place to get FLAC music? Im trying to find Animal Collective music btw.

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 22
bandcamp.com have tons of music in various formats, including FLAC.
You can search by artist or genre - dont know if Animal Collective have music listed on there

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:
bandcamp.com have tons of music in various formats, including FLAC.
You can search by artist or genre - dont know if Animal Collective have music listed on there

I have to fake that I have a band?

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:
I have to fake that I have a band?

No - you dont need to login - thats for bands to upload their music.
About half way down the page: "Fans: discover new music & directly support the artists who make it."
This is where you'll find featured bands\albums, genre TAGS and a search box to search for bands or genres of music

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:
About half way down the page: "Fans: discover new music & directly support the artists who make it."
This is where you'll find featured bands\albums, genre TAGS and a search box to search for bands or genres of music

OH! Thanks!

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

They dont even have Radiohead! Where does everybody get their FLAC music?

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #8 of 22
Jun 19, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #9 of 22
https://www.hdtracks.com/ is a great place from which I obtain really good flac music.

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #10 of 22
Jun 20, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:
Where do I find FLAC music. Ive looked up a couple of albums and have only gotten 1 album so far in FLAC. Is there a good place to get FLAC music? Im trying to find Animal Collective music btw.

My first port of call is the artist's own website.  Often you can get FLAC direct from them, or maybe a link to a distributor website.  Failing that, contact the artist and ask them if and where you can but their material.  If possible, I prefer to avoid the middlemen.

For example: Burning Shed provide some 24-bit FLAC downloads for Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson and Anathema <https://www.burningshed.com/store/24/>.

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:
What format are CDs in? Do they sound better than MP3?

Because you seem to be confused, I'll try and spell it out for you. A FLAC file is nothing more than music that hasn't been compressed. If you have a cd and you rip it to your computer, depending on what programme you use to rip it, you can choose FLAC, WMA, MP3 or maybe others. When you rip it in FLAC, you generally aren't compressing the music at all so it is just like it is when you play the cd itself. If you use MP3, you can compress it to save space to fit more music on a drive but you run the chance that it might not sound quite as good as FLAC. MP3s that are ripped at a very high bit rate, 320 or close to that, will likely have no noticeable sound difference from FLAC regardless of what anyone will try and tell you.

So basically, a FLAC file is just a type of uncompressed file as is WMA and some Apple file (I don't do Apple so I don't know which one it is).

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Because you seem to be confused, I'll try and spell it out for you. A FLAC file is nothing more than music that hasn't been compressed. If you have a cd and you rip it to your computer, depending on what programme you use to rip it, you can choose FLAC, WMA, MP3 or maybe others. When you rip it in FLAC, you generally aren't compressing the music at all so it is just like it is when you play the cd itself. If you use MP3, you can compress it to save space to fit more music on a drive but you run the chance that it might not sound quite as good as FLAC. MP3s that are ripped at a very high bit rate, 320 or close to that, will likely have no noticeable sound difference from FLAC regardless of what anyone will try and tell you.

So basically, a FLAC file is just a type of uncompressed file as is WMA and some Apple file (I don't do Apple so I don't know which one it is).

Ummmm, you might want to double check your understanding as well.  FLAC files are most certainly compressed.  They are lossless, however.  That's the more important part. WAV files are lossless and uncompressed.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:
this is my favourite ever head-fi posting

It's pretty darned amazing, troll level even.  But I think it's an honest question, though if it's a troll it's gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back