FLAC vs mp3
Nov 12, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #61 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"CD quality" don't tell us much, as its often used for anything down to 128Kbps lossy encoded audio files.

SACD, DVD Audio, high-definition lossless files (ex. 24-bit/96Khz), ...

HDtracks sells the HD lossless 24/96 as their "premium" material. Is it really premium? I mean, they could technically just use that format but could have converted from a lossy source or iffy production?

And so there's no guarantee of a CD being high quality audio, eh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by illy2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well there is DVD-A and SACD and those formats, they can handle up to 24-bit audio and 192kHz sampling rates. This just means that there can be more detail in the music for you to hear. But for SACD you need a special player and not much music is put onto SACD, and you need a special player as well.

that is why some amp/dac/can combos can reveal flaws and distortions in the mixing/mastering of a CD.

Is there much future in the DVD-A? And just because music CAN be handled at 24/192, doesn't mean it will be, right?

And so we should be careful of the studios and production of the music? That's why people are careful to find audiophile studios/production?

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #62 of 63
Flac and other lossless formats are far superior to mp3. Just listen to cymbals in mp3, sounds all soapy n stuff.

Since I really really got into Dream Theater and other epic metal bands I'll never ever again go for MP3, unless I have no other choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back