FLAC vs CD quality difference
Jun 22, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #17 of 22
Thank you for decsribing FLAC lossless compression.

I have two questions about FLAC Players, such as Foobar2000, DbPowerAmp or any other:
- Are they playing FLAC in compressed state or are they decompressing to WAV in real time???
- And if they decompressing, can there be a difference in how decompression in Players occurs?

Thank you, Amarok

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #18 of 22
Decoding FLAC, MP3 or any other format to pure PCM stream is the main function of the players.

Leaving aside things like DSD and MQA, DACs can handle only PCM and don’t care what container format has been used.

Results of lossless decompression should be identical with the original data, regardless of the software performing it. Any differences can be attributed only to bugs in the software.

Jun 24, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

But you see chewy that is where things get tricky. While I agree no data is lost if the compression if done properly. The problems appear when the file is being unzipped on the fly with most programs and even on DAPs in general. I've found using cPlay in bit for bit with my DACport LX there is a noticeable difference between other programs that I use (J River, Media Monkey Gold, Foobar). What cPlay does is it properly unzips the file then stores it in memory cache before music playback and not doing it all on the fly. So its playing back a WAV file as it was intended. I notice improvements in the sound staging, and especially in the treble region. Its enough for me to be tempted to unzip my FLAC files on my Studio V and even DX100. But won't do so until memory capacity increases more and prices go down more :).

I've never heard this suggested before. I will have to go do some A/B now. Thanks for posting this!

Best,
HC

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #22 of 22
There is no difference in SQ between flac and wav. I am ripping all my CD's on macbook pro with XLD without any compression and store them on HDD. In my case flac sounds better. But that all depends on many factors like the source you are using for playback, type of connection between source and preamp and etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back