1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

FLAC vs. 320 Mp3

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by icedup, Sep 7, 2011.
First

Back
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Next

Last
  1. c61746961
    It's not that we don't trust you, it's just that you do.

2. El_Doug Contributor
    Expectation bias is by far the most likely case, unless you are purposely randomly choosing to play from two identical playlists, one lossless one lossy, and only check which playlist you are listening to once you begin to feel fatigue or not. 

So many people take offense at the very idea that their perceptions are not reflective of 100% truth, despite the fact that EVERYONE is susceptible to these psychological phenomenon.  It is not a deficiency in the person, it is a result of millions of years of primate brain evolution. 

Quote:

3. streetdragon
    my friend with a srh940 claims he can differenciate FLAC and 320mp3, but when he passed his headphones to me i couldnt differenciate.
    when i went home i tried it with my hd558 and i found out that i only could differenciate it about 30% of the time, 70% i was uncertain, even then i couldnt pin point out a single part of the music that was different, i could only feel the slight extra subtleness, but then again i might be wrong...

4. Achmedisdead
    Quote:

This is incorrect. If the music is sufficiently complex, the bitrate can go right up to 320kbps.....it just won't stay up that high unless needed.

5. Clarkmc2

I've done it, but I would not look forward to doing it the next time I have to. It was a neccesity twice with the JBL 4345 four ways. Before and after modifications (biamping and rebuilding the crossover). One does not simply drop JBL studio monitors into a home and wing it. I had to draw the line at sofit mounting. They were designed to sound best that way, but they are the size and weight of refrigerators.

My full range augmented speakers needed nothing, thank goodness. In both cases, I do not have to move them around and the room changes very little. So when dialed in they tend to stay that way.

6. bigshot

It's much more convenient to have all of one's music on one drive. Easier to back up, easier to shuffle, easier to keep organized, easier to switch between libraries.

Wheni it comes to expectation bias, if you knew it was expectation bias, it wouldn't be expectation bias, would it? Based on your comments, it's pretty clear you're knee deep in it. Nothing wrong with that. We're only human. We don't think ill of you because of it. Don't worry.

7. bigshot

I just finised the process (I think), and it was some of the most complex and precise listening I've ever had to do. I bought my new amp months ago and I've been working on it ever since. I screened a movie for some friends this weekend and played some music and they all commented on it. It's pretty good when you're showing a hidef film projected on a ten foot screen and they comment on the sound and not the picture!

8. bigshot

That was my impression, but I wasn't sure of it. With my AAC 256 files, it allows the rate to drop to whatever is necessary and uses the bandwidth it saves to boost it up to 320 if it's needed. With 320 files, VBR is still a good idea because it optimizes the bitrate to avoid filling the file with needless bits. There really is no reason to use CBR at all.

9. wberghofer
    Quote:

Do you ever actually read what the other person wrote before you click the “Quote” button?

Friends and relatives who are not interested at all in “analytical listening” but prefer to simply enjoy the music instead, made statements like “This just doesn’t feel right” or “Something’s missing” when they heard AAC 256 files in my home. The point is that these people were not aware of the music source or the file format they were listening to. Never heard such a statement the moment lossless music was being played to them.

Werner.

10. bigshot
    I'm sorry, but when you say something that's clearly made up, I ignore it out of politeness. I've heard the "even my wife can tell on our car radio" stories before. They're obviously either totally made up or there is something terribly wrong with the car stereo. The reply i'm expecting next is "It's true! My wife did say that! And my car stereo sounds perfect!" which I'll probably let go by too. It's an entertaining anecdote, even if it isn't credible.

The difference between lossy and lossless isn't anywere close to being that great. When someone brings something like that up, their credibility with me plummets. People who can't even come within a country mile of accurately relating the relative differences and similarties between two things aren't the best judges of a difference that is difficult to discern at all under the best circumstances.

Like I said, normally I would just let it go, but you asked. Sorry.

11. Clarkmc2
    There is no way to balance the output of four drivers in one speaker without measurement. Fortunately a friend in Australia, the one who rebuilt the crossovers for me, worked out a method using a Radio Shack meter that is much more accurate than professional room measurement for the purpose. Only relative measurements are needed, so equipment calibration is not necessary. There are published corrections for the frequency response of the meter.

12. Clarkmc2
    Double post

13. bigshot
    Yeah, I know. I've been rough tuning the response curve by ear. An engineer friend is going to come and work out the bumps using sine wave sweeps when he gets time. I'm interested to see how close I get.

14. XxDobermanxX
    Quote:
    Well said 

15. XxDobermanxX
    What i like with flac is you can convert it from flac to flac and make it louder if you wish (via foobar) (replay gain), but for mp3 you cant (so very low  volume lossy files stay low) 

First

Back
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Next

Last