FLAC Player for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
Aug 1, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #137 of 320
Flac player can play anything but it seems that the iPod render engine is limited to outputting 16/48 regardless of what it is fed on the Touch and iPhone. I'm not entirely sure if the iPad via camera kit can do better with usb dacs

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #138 of 320
I just joined the iPad club.  So if I want to use FLAC Player to output hi-res from the iPad to an external DAC, I need the Camera Connection Kit and a USB to SPDIF cable?  Does anyone make that cable? 

Would I be able to plug my hiFace into the camera connection dock, then connect that to the CLAS?

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #139 of 320
The CLAS connects directly to the iPad via a standard Apple usb cable and that is the only connection to anything the CLAS supports

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #140 of 320
Yeah I wasn't thinking clearly, I was thinking about outputting from the CLAS to another DAC.  So what is so special about the Camera Connection dock?  A standard LOD to USB cable isn't able to send hi-res music to the CLAS through FLAC Player?

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #141 of 320

Quote:
The next version (with playlists) is still in development.  There are a lot of changes under the hood, and I've made major upgrades to the underlying database of songs and metadata to support playlists, and album/artist organization.

Thanks for the support and patience everyone, hope it'll be worth the wait!

Hopefully we'll get organization based on artist name as an option. Love the product though, would like to see it audioscrobble though. It's a pretty straight forward implementation. 

Aug 4, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #142 of 320
I just tried to output hi-res music from my iPad using FLAC Player.  I connected a stock LOD-USB cable to my CLAS, then SPDIF to my Lavry DAC.  Both 24/88 and 24/96 files only showed up on my DAC's display as 48.1. 

I thought it had been confirmed that the iPad can output hi-res through FLAC Player?  Do I have to have the Camera Connection Kit?  Or is there something else I'm missing?

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #143 of 320
I think iPad via camera connection kit to a usb dac can do hires but I'm not sure

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #144 of 320
Even the iPod app on the iPad can do high res if you prep the files correctly. Never used the CLAS, but confirmed both apps (see second page), a camera kit, and the same Lavry DJ.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #145 of 320
Thx for the link

It seems all of the successful output rates higher than 48khz are utilizing the camera kit. Crap. Seems that Apple's asynchronous transfer protocol is the limiting factor for achieving high-res output for the CLAS whether using iPhone or iPad, dang! There goes my hopes for seeing progress for the iPhone with iOS5 (I thought that asynch was not limited with the iPad, but after re-reading everything, no one yet has achieved anything with CLAS and iPad).

If anyone else is able to test iPad and CLAS high-res results, please share!!!

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #146 of 320
Not sure what equipment I have to try and test this, but would the following work as a test:
Source (iPad/Ipod) > CLAS > SPDIF > DacMagic

I can then see if the DacMagic locks on at higher than 48.

If you think this would work, and would answer your question, let me know and I'll test it out.

Or if I am making this too complicated and there is an easier way to test...?

This would show that the CLAS can get high res data from the iProduct, but it wouldn't determine what it does with it when it's not sending it back out to an external DAC, right?

Quote:
Thx for the link

It seems all of the successful output rates higher than 48khz are utilizing the camera kit. Crap. Seems that Apple's asynchronous transfer protocol is the limiting factor for achieving high-res output for the CLAS whether using iPhone or iPad, dang! There goes my hopes for seeing progress for the iPhone with iOS5 (I thought that asynch was not limited with the iPad, but after re-reading everything, no one yet has achieved anything with CLAS and iPad).

If anyone else is able to test iPad and CLAS high-res results, please share!!!

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #149 of 320
Ok. Nothing too scientific here... I ran the iPad to the CLAS, SPDIF to the DacMagic and played hi res from Flacplayer. Everything above 48 locked on at 48. 44.1 files locked on at 44.1. So it appears that we can't yet get hi res through CLAS.

I have heard that you can get hi-res through the camera connection kit, but I don't have the gear to test that, as my USB DAC's would limit the output/input (I think?).

Hope this helped!

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #150 of 320
yeah clas limits the output by the sounds of it, camera kit works with flac player 24/96 into my sabre with titan input board. i dont know what you mean wrt apples async limiting it, for one its not async to CLAS from ipod, the ipod is slaved to the CLAS, with CLAS acting as usb host; so this to me does not qualify as async, but rather isochronous and secondly its not the ipad doing the limiting, its the DSP in CLAS more likely, as hirez works with ipad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back