Flac on DBPoweramp
Feb 8, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #16 of 33
I don't know for sure with ALAC because I don't use it, but I know iTunes AAC bumps up the level a fraction. I ran into that when I tried normalizing a track up to 100% and then converted it to AAC. I don't know whether that is because of the codec or the encoder.

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #18 of 33
So then we believe most rips in dbpower amp will sound exactly the same as rips done in windows media player.

Do the two version decompress to identical WAV files? If so, then any difference in sound is due to problems with the player, not the compression program.

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #20 of 33
Feb 8, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #21 of 33
Thx interesting web site.
The site claims wmp can’t rip flac. Mine does.
Everyone recommends EAC . EAC is so complicated to set up. I’m not sure why anyone would want it.

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #22 of 33
Thx interesting web site.
The site claims wmp can’t rip flac. Mine does.
Everyone recommends EAC . EAC is so complicated to set up. I’m not sure why anyone would want it.

It's likely the FLAC maintainers haven't been updating the site much, other than with utility and changelog updates.

Feb 8, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #24 of 33
Can’t do both versions. Have not purchased dbpoweramp. Just WMP. Hence , wondering if the $38 price is worth it.

Download the trial version: https://www.dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper.htm

You will find tons of post stating that WMP can't play FLAC.
Windows 10 added FLAC support (and ALAC)

Most of the ripping programs (if they do support a secure mode) deliver identical rips.
THis is because the CD tech is pretty solid.
In case of troublesome CDs dBpoweramp can read sectors up to 80 times to find out the correct value.
AccurateRip I do think a strong point. It tells you if your rip is identical to those by others. http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/AccurateRip.htm
dBpoweramp yield better meta data and is also more flexible as it pulls the meta data from 4 different sources.

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #26 of 33
I'd recommend Foobar as a music player and ripping tool anyway.

Unless you're working with broken CDs I don't think you need to go all out with EAC or anything. The files will sound identical regardless of compression level. My phone tends to skip every now and then with any kind of FLAC, and that's a phone problem. The different levels make little to no difference in the amount of skipping it does, and that includes differences in bitrate or sampling rate as well as encryption. I rip my own CDs to level 8 but have many FLACs at lower encryption levels than that, from all over. They all sound the same. If some reason emerged why 8 was bad, I could always change it, which is the beauty of the whole thing.

Feb 8, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #28 of 33
given that we don't know what Anthony was using as settings in either apps, or in his playback app, I guess it could be more of a matter of using some limiter or add replay gain metadata while ripping. or on occasion it could be that one software isn't using much of an error correction trick, which could also simply be a matter of setting the app differently.
I can't really claim anything, I last used wmp more than 10years ago. I install a new windows version, install all the apps I like, want to play a media file and Win keeps launching wmp, which is really all one needs to do to make sure I will never ever use the app(yes I'm that much of a kid).
still I've experienced a few times while testing random apps and settings for the lolz, an album clipping a lot(at levels and frequency hard not to notice on low dynamic songs) right after a rip. so that doesn't surprise me. but each time it didn't actually clip the digital data. just lowering the preamp in foobar by 2 or 3dB would give me back non clipped music. and then as I always apply replaygain and delete all + values like a barbarian, clipping is not really a concern in my life(also EQ with some more gain attenuation).

I believe many people have been using dbpoweramp simply because it does a lot, and over the years you could always find some tuto somewhere telling you how to rip like a champ with it. it's the convenience that's attractive IMO, not that it turns 1 and 0 into better 1 and 0.

Feb 9, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #30 of 33
I’m sure we all don’t mind a skip or some fuzz now and them. Most of my rips are from average condition cds. Just curious if besides an occational skip. If the overall sound quality, when listened through higher end gear is different. When dbpower amp is compared to wmp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back