FLAC Network streamer for my stereo rig setup
Dec 9, 2012 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jtaylor991

1000+ Head-Fier
I've read about the Squeezebox Touch and it seemed good to me, until someone mentioned to download some app (E something O, 3 letters) that greatly increased the sound quality when outputting to a DAC. I hate seeing things like this, it seems like there's no way to digitally output sound to a DAC without it being tampered with. First there's the whole thing with Windows and having to use WASAPI or ASIO (which are reported to sound different somehow) and now this thing with the Squeezebox Touch apparently. I have a DVD player connected by a coax cable to my DAC right now but I don't wanna burn all my stuff to CD (yet) and who knows if that DVD player is affecting the sound as well.

What would be a good solution to stream FLAC from my computer upstairs to my DAC without any tampering from anything? I care so much since I played an album on a laptop running Vista (I don't think it had WASAPI or anything like that on it) and then played the CD and the difference just slapped me in the face. Then again that's USB vs. COAX, but I doubt that was it...or was it?

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 3
Just get get a Squeezebox Touch. It outputs bit-perfect digital which is as good as it gets. The plugin you're referring to is EDO or enhanced digital output. It allows the Touch to output 24/196 via digital coax instead of the normal 24/96 limit. Not a big concern for most, and with it you lose the analog output. You can fiddle with the Touch as much as you like but there is absolutely no need to.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 3
Just get get a Squeezebox Touch. It outputs bit-perfect digital which is as good as it gets. The plugin you're referring to is EDO or enhanced digital output. It allows the Touch to output 24/196 via digital coax instead of the normal 24/96 limit. Not a big concern for most, and with it you lose the analog output. You can fiddle with the Touch as much as you like but there is absolutely no need to.

Awesome. Although I did see some people talking about how the Transport was better than the Duet (on a Duet thread from when it first came out, maybe some Touch mentions too) because of the components in it etc., but they could have been talking about the analog output. Would this matter with outputting digital by optical?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back