FLAC, EAC Questions
Jun 14, 2005 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kschul2

100+ Head-Fier
I just installed FLAC Frontend and EAC and had a few questions about what the best way to set them up is. If there are any guides available and someone could point me in their direction that would be very helpful. Also which wav format in EAC should I use when ripping? And is it simpler to just rip with EAC to wav and then sepearately use FLAC Frontend to convert to FLAC? Or can that be done in one step?

Jun 14, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 16
Download the appropriate EAC profile from here
Then download the UberFLAC Pack which is on the same page and follow the setup instructions in the read-me file.

It takes a bit of setting up, but what you end up with is a system where you can literally rip an album to FLAC using one mouse click. And what you end up with is correctly tagged and named files in a correctly labelled directory, with a log file and replaygain applied. You also get tools to easily transcode to -alt preset standard or extreme for portable players and the like.

By the way, I recommend not using long filenames like it suggests in the read-me file. Long filenames cause a host of problems in Windows. You can easily modify the string that EAC uses to create filenames to make them shorter (don't worry about what is says in the Read-me file, I have done it with hundreds of rips and they enforce and transcode absolutely fine)

One more thing, if you haven't already you should download accuraterip and use it to determine your CD/DVD drives offset as well as to verify the accuracy of your rips. It is a pretty neat bit of software, easy to setup and user-friendly. Well worth the trouble if you are going to spend the time and money ripping a large CD collection.

Jun 14, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for the link it was really helpful setting EAC up and I can now rip to mp3s. I downloaded the UberFlac Pack but can't seem to find the ReadMe. Any ideas?
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 16
This site explains EAC compression options for Musepack. At the bottom of the page are the various alternatives, including Flac. Someone posted the link here last year and it worked for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

BW

Jun 15, 2005 at 10:59 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kschul2
Also, following the link from Bill, what compression level of FLAC is being used and how can I change that?

On the page Bill linked to no compression level is set, so the default of 5 will be used (If you want to change the compression level just add "-5", "-6", "-7" etc before %s).

Personally, I find the HydrogenAudio Wiki really good for ripping, encoding guides.

Jun 15, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Bill, thanks for the last link I was able to get FLAC working. Is there anyway to tell if I'm getting a good rip?

Provided AccurateRip is set up correctly it should give you some indicator as to whether or not the rip is good. However, when I used AccurateRip before I found the database to be a bit on the small side and didn't inlclude a lot of the CDs I was ripping so gave up. Also, it's worth mentioning that different editions of the same CD maybe slightly different so your rips may not match others even though they are accurate.

Also, if you want to verify that FLAC encoded file just add "-V" on the command line.

Jun 15, 2005 at 1:27 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam
Provided AccurateRip is set up correctly it should give you some indicator as to whether or not the rip is good. However, when I used AccurateRip before I found the database to be a bit on the small side and didn't inlclude a lot of the CDs I was ripping so gave up. Also, it's worth mentioning that different editions of the same CD maybe slightly different so your rips may not match others even though they are accurate.

Also, if you want to verify that FLAC encoded file just add "-V" on the command line.

Thanks. How do I check if it's verified after ripping it? And do I need to include the " " of the -V in the command line?

Oh and 8 is the most compressed level right?

Jun 15, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Thanks. How do I check if it's verified after ripping it? And do I need to include the " " of the -V in the command line?

Oh and 8 is the most compressed level right?

First Question: Are you asking about verifying the rip or the FLAC encode? After ripping an AccurateRip window will pop up displaying how many identical rips to yours there are in the database.

If you're asking about verifying FLAC encoded files, it's being a bit paranoid using the "-V" setting (which is without quotes when you type it in on the command line) as the chances of encoding a ripped WAV file to a FLAC and it not working properly is relatively slim, but in my opinion it's probably worth doing it just to be on the safe side.

Second Question: 8 is more compressed yes, 5 is default and I think it goes all the way from 1 to 10? The files will be more compressed but we're not talking a massive reduction in file size.

So, in conclusion, your additional command line options in EAC should look something like this:

Code:

Code:
[left]-T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" -8 -V %s[/left]

Jun 15, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #15 of 16
I was asking when using the -V in the command line and it verifies the FLAC encoding if there was a way to check if it was verified or not? Or does it just verifiy itself while encoding? Thanks for all of the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back