FLAC>APE Audio or other lossless, will I lose any SQ?
Oct 27, 2008 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
I have heard that FLAC is not very good for portable players for size and battery life reasons. If I convert to a more manageable format, will I lose any noticeable quality? And do you guys have any suggestions as to which lossless format to convert (planning on getting an O2, so throw anything out there
redface.gif
)

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 15
Lossless is lossless: you won't lose any quality at all. It's like unpacking a .zip file and repacking it with RAR.

FLAC is the most manageable of lossless codecs, actually. Monkey's Audio (APE) requires much more processing power for decoding, so that would be a bad choice for a portable player.

As for the battery, lossless would be bad mostly for hard drives, but I bet the O2 uses flash memory.

My recommendation: FLAC is fine, and if you want to save space, transcode your FLAC files to Ogg Vorbis (IIRC the O2 supports that too).

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 15
Original question #12.
wink_face.gif

FLAC is a pretty simple lossless codec.

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard that FLAC is not very good for portable players for size and battery life reasons. If I convert to a more manageable format, will I lose any noticeable quality? And do you guys have any suggestions as to which lossless format to convert (planning on getting an O2, so throw anything out there
redface.gif
)

Using a portable amp would also allow you to save your source's battery power because you can lower down the volume from your source
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 15
Flac is the less battery intensive to decode than ape. It's specifically designed to decode easily.

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by skamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lossless is lossless: you won't lose any quality at all. It's like unpacking a .zip file and repacking it with RAR.

I take serious issue with this statement. Not all lossless is lossless. Not to my ears anyway.

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take serious issue with this statement. Not all lossless is lossless. Not to my ears anyway.

Ugh, just when this topic was finished, you just had to....

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 15
misinformation + spouted as gospel = bs

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #10 of 15
The only misinformation comes from you. A codec is either lossless, or it's not. There's no such thing as lossy lossless codecs, obviously. You can check for losslessness yourself very easily: encode a WAV file (with FLAC, for instance), then decode it back, compare the resulting WAV file to the original. They'll match bit for bit.

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #11 of 15
Did the comparison and I never argue with what i hear.

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #14 of 15
No audio data loss.
FLAC, Monkey's Audio, ... are all lossless...

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #15 of 15
I would only switch from FLAC to Monkey Audio (APE) if you want to squeeze a bit more music on the player (Monkey usually compresses about 5% better than FLAC at Level 8), and don't care that much about battery life (battery life will be shorter because decoding needs more cpu power). Also remember that -c3000 is the maximum level that the A3 / O2 and Rockboxed devices support. If you already have -c4000 or -c5000 encoded files you then will have to transcode them to -c3000.
If you want maximum lossless compression but be soft on the battery, then better use WavPack. The compression rate with -hhx6 is nearly identical to APE at -c3000, but the battery lasts longer.
If you don't want to carry that much music with you, then better use FLAC or ALAC which are both intended for portable players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back