Fixing earphone jack - the impossible task?
Mar 31, 2014 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Tolblo

New Head-Fier
I cannot for the life of me repair the jack. Every time after battling with solder I eventually get it fixed for a 5 mins to a week until it starts shorting again and I can only hear out of one ear. 

Once the solder is in place, the wire parts that aren't soldered will eventually or immediately start contacting each other and short. If I give it anything half rigorous such as going for a jog, it will short.

All these online videos make fixing your jack seem like childs play but for 5+ years now I have found it impossible. Please............for the love of God can anyone help?

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 3
I feel your pain..

I've had the same problem, but what has helped me is getting much thinner solder. That way you have more control over how much of it you put on the connectors, and less solder means less clutter inside the plug, and less chance that the connectors touch. If you've already tried that, you'll need to get advice from someone more skilled than I, for I am only a journeyman solderer.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 3
Make sure the parts you are soldering are clean, and the wire isn't enamel coated. use flux and make sure the solder is 'wetting' the parts properly, it isn't enough to just get a blob of solder covering the part. Make sure your iron is good enough to heat up the parts you are soldering to, not just heating up the solder. you can put an insulator between wires you don't want touching. Make sure your strain relief is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back