Fixing corroded iron tips
Mar 30, 2008 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

cyberspyder

Caution! Incomplete trades.
I have a seriously corroded tip here, and getting a replacement isn't viable because I can't find any. The solder sticks to one tiny patch of the tip, and the other areas are brown-black. What options are there?

Brendan

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 32
You can pick up tip cleaner/refreshers, not sure where, but you can
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 32
Mar 31, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy a new iron. I understand it is quite difficult to revive a tip that has not been properly tinned, cleaned and stored. Sanding off the corrosion will probably make it worse.

Nonsense!

I've seen a cheap crappy radioshack "hot nail" soldering iron revived by literally jamming the business end into a pencil sharpener, dipping the bare copper in paste flux, heating it up, and tinning it with regular solder.

It was better than ever. Which isn't saying much because those irons suck. But it worked.

Edit: obviously, the pencil sharpener method won't work for weller-style plated alloy tips, and obviously, radioshack sells replacement tips that are cheap and plentiful - but the pencil sharpener was *right *there and there's no arguing with a crazy french engineer. If the corrosion is really thick, just start by scraping it with a knife, and yes, the tip renewers like the one DX sells (you know shipping is always free from DX, right?) work just fine.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nonsense!

I've seen a cheap crappy radioshack "hot nail" soldering iron revived by literally jamming the business end into a pencil sharpener, dipping the bare copper in paste flux, heating it up, and tinning it with regular solder.

I have heard of sanding down a bad tip, but that's insane

and the Aoyue is the same as the CSI station, all the hakko 936 knockoffs are made by Aoyue. And one of the 3 stations you mentioned would be my recommendation. I have the Xytronic 379 and its great, I've heard all good things about the CSI and other hakko clones too

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 32
These days, I just buy new tips. In the past, I've filed tips clean an retinned them. Works fine if you're on a budget. Steel wool will take off some of the crud, but DO NOT attempt this while the iron is hot. Steel wool will catch fire; it's coated in oil to keep it from rusting.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard of sanding down a bad tip, but that's insane

Agreed - especially for a $2 tip replacement that he could get at a store a mile away. No arguing with a crazy french engineer, though.

I'm always in favor of people using better soldering irons. Though i seriously wonder why a replacement tip can't be found - maybe the OP's google skills are lacking.

Mar 31, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about sanding the black stuff off and retinning?

Don't sand the tip. If anything, try a brass-bristled brush. It's stiff enough to clean without being stiff enough to do further damage to the tip. This is how I maintain my tips. (Hakko 928 at home, Metcal at work. This is the method recommended by both manufacturers, BTW.)

Might be time for a new iron. Be sure to keep the new tips tinned to extend their working life.

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice soldering station; I bought one a few months ago. Using the sponge and that 'steel nest' in the handle base keeps the tip super clean. I tin the tip when I turn it off to protect it from corrosion.

ya the brass wool is much nicer than a wet sponge IMO cause it doesn't cool the tip way down like water does, and the tips last longer. you should always tin the tip of any iron before turning it off

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #15 of 32
Well, I think I know the problem. Even with the hard to find new tips, it doesn't like to get tinned. The solder sticks to two, tiny ass patches...any reason why I'm experiencing this?

dsc00172cs0.jpg

Brendan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back