Fitting New Sennheiser HD800 Replacement Earpads
Jul 19, 2015 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Harty

100+ Head-Fier
I've finally found a solution to fitting the new HD 800 replacement Ear Pads.

A lot of people can't get the HD800 Ear Pads to lock onto the HD800 frame, this is because the white plastic membrane is too tight around the new replacement HD800 Ear Pads D frame.

Only do this below if you can’t get the new HD800 replacement Ear Pads to fit onto the HD800.

Simply put two fingers in between the black plastic ear pad D ring and the white plastic membrane of the new HD800 replacement earpads, obviously finger print side pointing up and touching the underside of the white plastic membrane, then place your two thumbs, one each on top of the white plastic membrane pressing down on top of the white plastic membrane and your two fingers underneath, pull and stretch apart the white plastic membrane between each finger and thumb following the D shape all around the black plastic ear pad ring, do this several times around the D pad to loosen up the white plastic membrane, don't be too gentle, the plastic has a lot of stretch in it, only stretch around the ear pad D shape and not towards the centre hole of the D frame.

Then simply press the ear pads down onto the HD800 chamber black frame to click and lock down into place.

Best wishes,
Paul.

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 6
I found a simpler solution: I asked my wife to help me snap the ring into the housing. It's really a four-hand job, though I suppose a single person could do it with non-marring clamps.

It's a real shame Sennheiser doesn't include new diaphragm covers with the earpad set, and indeed there doesn't seem to be a replacement SKU at all.

Oct 16, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 6

Hi Majid,

You must have the newer pads that measure 25mm across the middle of the D part, these will fit without stretching the membrane (as I've explained above), the older pads that are still in circulation until stock runs out I presume still require stretching to fit, always try and fit them first, and only use my method if they won't lock into place, you'll feel the last couple of clips keep springing back up and won't lock down at all.

See photo's attached, kindly provided my another head-fier.

Best wishes Paul.  

Mar 26, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 6
After having installed a new pair of ear pads last month and another pair just now, I have a couple of thoughts to add to the discussion:
(1) Press on the plastic edge of the ear pads instead of directly on the ear pads. Videos might show people pressing directly on top but it only works well when you have ear pads whose membrane is already stretched/fitted. This also prevents any damage done to the foam through excessive force, and you will need to use very large force. In addition, pressing the plastic edge of the ear pads minimize stretching the fabric. Stretching may cause wrinkles in the corners of the D shape.
(2) The ear pads seem to have some manufacturing tolerances and will not be perfectly identical. Moreover, they are not perfectly symmetrical. So the top of the left ear pad will look more similar to the bottom of the right ear pad than the bottom of the left.
(3) It may be easier to install the dust cover after the ear pad. I also like to make sure that the dust cover eventually sit under the plastic membrane, which looks neat and is probably the intended design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back