Fitness/Weight-lifting question
Jul 21, 2005 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
As some of you might have read in another thread, I'm applying for the Marines' officer course for next summer. I need to get in good-enough shape to score a 225 or higher on the physical fitness test (PFT) which means I need to be able to do more pullups than I can right now. I just started the Armstrong pullup program this week. It's a daily program that involves push-ups in the morning and pull-ups later on in the day.

Now I want to continue with my Mon./Wed./Fri. weight-training routine where I alternate between a back/biceps/legs day and a chest/triceps/shoulders day. The problem is that pull-ups work the back and biceps already. Is it safe to go on with both programs at the same time? Yesterday I went to the gym and did the Wednesday pull-up thing and then did some rows, back extensions, and dumb-bell curls and hammer curls. I felt great by the time I got home and still haven't noticed any problems. Should I stop or adjust my normal workout routine to accomodate the pull-up program? Or will I be okay?

Also, do I need to adjust my eating schedule from my 5-a-day to something different? Should I be eating more/less protein or carbs for the pull-ups?

Sorry for the long post but I'd really appreciate any help you guys could give. I posted this already on discussfitness.com and bodybuilding.com and have yet to get a response other than "walk around with a heavy pack on your back." I already did plenty of that in Israel in the army there. So any constructive advice related to my concerns would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Jul 22, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 66
IANA*...

I think you could work that program in without too much of a problem. Weight training stresses muscles a lot more than pushups/pullups, I'd think. Seems like it to me, anyway. I'm not usually sore after PT (Navy), but I am after a good weight session.

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 66
Well workout for 10 years now and in better shape then most personal trainers in the gym... Well the first question I have is why are you training legs and back on the same day. these are two big muscle groups in the body. I don't think that is a good idea.

What to do? But a workout book. I can't give all the details. But deadlifts.. squats.. 7 to 12 reps range.. bench.. and getting body fat down to 7 percent.. the rest you are going to need to do reading on... Pulls up is as much a question of your weight or fat as it is your strength. First thing I did was goto book store and looked into a body building book. Get a few and see which one you live. Avoid machines in the gym and do mostly free weights.. that is a start.

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #5 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
Well workout for 10 years now and in better shape then most personal trainers in the gym... Well the first question I have is why are you training legs and back on the same day. these are two big muscle groups in the body. I don't think that is a good idea.

What to do? But a workout book. I can't give all the details. But deadlifts.. squats.. 7 to 12 reps range.. bench.. and getting body fat down to 7 percent.. the rest you are going to need to do reading on... Pulls up is as much a question of your weight or fat as it is your strength. First thing I did was goto book store and looked into a body building book. Get a few and see which one you live. Avoid machines in the gym and do mostly free weights.. that is a start.

Getting body fat down to 7%?

Are you serious?

Is your bf 7%? Most body builders get down to around 8% before they go to comeptitions, no one is reguarly that low, that's kind of nuts.

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 66
I love pullups! More than most exercises, consistency is really important here. To improve you should do them at least three times a week--I think six times is OK.

The Armstrong program looks pretty good to me. One thing he leaves out, however, is weight loading. Once you get the hang of it, you can stick a dumbbell between your ankles.

If you can do a set of 8 or so while hanging a dumbbell about one third your body weight (I weigh 150, so I use a 50 lb dumbbell), you'll find you can do a LOT without the weight. And then you can laugh at the wusses using lat pulldown machines and the like!
k1000smile.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 66
is it true that you shouldn't do dumb-bell curls everyday, because then your biceps will get used to the weight and you won't see as much muscle growth?

also does it matter when you work out, during the day or night?

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
is it true that you shouldn't do dumb-bell curls everyday, because then your biceps will get used to the weight and you won't see as much muscle growth?

also does it matter when you work out, during the day or night?

The reason muscles grow when subjected to heavy loads is that the fibres are literally shredded, then heal and grow back bigger and stronger. This is called "hypertrophy". If you work hard every day with heavy weights, you interfere with, or even block, the growth phase.

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #9 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
Getting body fat down to 7%?

Are you serious?

Is your bf 7%? Most body builders get down to around 8% before they go to comeptitions, no one is reguarly that low, that's kind of nuts.

Most bodybuilders actually get their body fat down to 3-5% for competitions, which is DANGEROUSLY low. You cannot get any athletic performance with body fat this low. For the strength program the OP is using, maintaining body fat is fine, increasing it to ~10% would be better.

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #10 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanG

Now I want to continue with my Mon./Wed./Fri. weight-training routine where I alternate between a back/biceps/legs day and a chest/triceps/shoulders day. The problem is that pull-ups work the back and biceps already. Is it safe to go on with both programs at the same time? Yesterday I went to the gym and did the Wednesday pull-up thing and then did some rows, back extensions, and dumb-bell curls and hammer curls. I felt great by the time I got home and still haven't noticed any problems. Should I stop or adjust my normal workout routine to accomodate the pull-up program? Or will I be okay?

Also, do I need to adjust my eating schedule from my 5-a-day to something different? Should I be eating more/less protein or carbs for the pull-ups?

Bodybuilding and strength training is actually a personal passion of mine, so I'll try to help you out.

Can you outline your entire weekly workout schedule more thoroughly? Like tell me all the exercises you do on each day of the week.

For true strength, you shouldn't try to be emphasizing on your pull-ups only. Your muscles work more efficiently and effectively when other muscle groups are trained in lieu.

5 meals/day is fine, but the more meals, the better.

In general, aim for about 55% carbs, 35% protein, 20% fat. More or less of each macronutrient depending on the way your body responds. Nutrient timing is important too (ie. more protein before workouts, more carbs after workout).

Feel free to ask any specific questions.

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #11 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Most bodybuilders actually get their body fat down to 3-5% for competitions, which is DANGEROUSLY low. You cannot get any athletic performance with body fat this low. For the strength program the OP is using, maintaining body fat is fine, increasing it to ~10% would be better.

My bad,
but i still knew that was too low.

10% is ideal i think.

My goal is to get down to atleas 12-14% by the end of this summer, i've already lost 25 lbs of fat since june.

It's hard work.

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #12 of 66
Wow, Head-Fi'ers are fit?
tongue.gif

*Subscribing to this thread cause I need to loose weight and gain some muscle. To get teh ladies.
tongue.gif

Good luck Dan!

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Wow, Head-Fi'ers are fit?
tongue.gif

*Subscribing to this thread cause I need to loose weight and gain some muscle. To get teh ladies.
tongue.gif

Good luck Dan!

My body fat is ~10% and I weigh 145 lbs. For me it's REALLY hard to lower the body fat unless I pack more muscle weight, which I'm trying to do. I still think that I have too little body fat percentage; I feel tired and lacking energy alot.

Gaining muscle increases your basal metabolic rate, making it easier to burn fat.

You can't gain muscle properly without eating the right foods and the right amount of foods. The same mantra "crap in, crap out" that we apply here on Head-Fi applies to bodybuilding as well.

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #14 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
My bad,
but i still knew that was too low.

10% is ideal i think.

My goal is to get down to atleas 12-14% by the end of this summer, i've already lost 25 lbs of fat since june.

It's hard work.

I feel that losing weight gets harder exponentially. I lost 30 lbs in a month, but then it took me another 11 months to lose an extra 20 lbs. The initial loss is really easy, but if you want to lose everything it's going to take some serious dedication. For me, it meant rarely cheating on my diet, and eating cleanly 99% of the time.

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #15 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
I feel that losing weight gets harder exponentially. I lost 30 lbs in a month, but then it took me another 11 months to lose an extra 20 lbs. The initial loss is really easy, but if you want to lose everything it's going to take some serious dedication. For me, it meant rarely cheating on my diet, and eating cleanly 99% of the time.

I've been at it for 9 weeks.

I started at 205 lbs, probablly over 22-23% bodyfat

I had a nice big beer gut.

Now i'm around 182 lbs, not sure what my bodyfat is.

Since then, i joined this gym, began pretty serious dedication, then 3 weeks later i started my diet.

I try to consume around 1000 calories or less a day. My body type should be consuming 2500-3000 calories a day. I was consuming probablly 3000-3500 a day and stable where i was.

Now i lose 4 lbs a week, and though i'm not gaining alot of muscle, i am getting cut and toned.

Its working out pretty well, my gut is almost nonexistant, though no 6 pack just yet ; )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back