Fit/comfort of HD580 vs. HD600
Jun 2, 2010 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rbf1138

1000+ Head-Fier
Can someone who has worn both extensively tell me how they fit compared to each other? Does one clamp more on the sides of the head? Do the cushions press any harder on one or the other? Are they identical? 

Thanks!

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 6
I had them both and, though they're very close with the big cushy velour pads (which I actually love wearing) I think the HD600 were a touch more comfortable. Maybe that was just psychological, but it may have to do with the flexibility of the carbon fiber (600s) versus plastic headband.

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 6
My new HD600s have a stronger clamp, but better pads while my 9 year old HD580s have less of a clamp but the pads are less, erm padded (which is to be expected from all the use thaey've had). I managed to gently flex the HD600 headband out so it feel less like I've got my head in a vice.

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 6
I own both the HD580 and HD600.  They're both in the over ten years old category.

Both fit me the same as far as I can tell.  Any difference seems to be due to how worn or soft or squished the earpads are.  The condition of the earpads on both are never the same.  Direct comparisons for fit or sound quality get difficult because the condition of the pads are never exactly the same on each.  I have a small head.  I've never had to stretch them out to make them comfortable.  Since I have a small head the earpads also last me a long time since they don't get overly squished when I wear them.

Any differences in sound and fit I always attribute to the condition of the earpads.  If there is an actual difference between them that is not due to the earpads that difference is too minute for me to care about.

Jun 2, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 6
So basically the pinch around my ears that always gave me a headache with the 580s will be there on 600s, too...damn. 

Jun 2, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 6
Washing the earpads will soften them.  Hand wash in soapy water, hand rinse in clean water, then allow to air dry.  Softer earpads will spread the pressure around and softer pads do feel better.

I just put brand new earpads on my HD600 last weekend.  The new pads are much firmer and feel quite different than the worn in and washed pads.  The worn pads are more comfy.

I've seen people with big heads wear the HD580/600/650.  It's a scary sight.  The earpads get squished flatter than a pancake and that kind of squeeze on the head can't be comfortable.  Fortunately I've got a small head.  The HD580 and HD600 are snug but not too tight.  Snug so they don't slip or move around.  I can wear them all day with no problem.

The metal band part of the headband can be stretched out.  Extend the ear cups fully so the metal band is fully exposed.  Then bend the metal band out being careful not to put stress on the plastic part of the headband.  Should help.  But since I have a small head I haven't needed to do that so don't know how much it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back