Fisher 400 + hd580
Nov 5, 2002 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
How will the Fisher 400 amp sound with my hd580s? Will it compare at all to my meta42? How about an MG Head? I really think an old amp like this could be fun to get into. . .

Nov 5, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 5
I used to use Sennheiser HD600s with my Fisher 400, but I sold them so I haven't tried them with my Meta. Still, I think I can compare the two amps pretty confidently. If your Meta uses Burr-Brown opamps, the Fisher will sound much, much better. Smoother by leaps and bounds, and just more musical. It's a closer match between a Meta with Analog Devices opamps and the Fisher 400, because the ADs are already pretty smooth. The main difference is that the Fisher lends a really magical quality to the midrange (I know this is almost a cliche, but it's true), and just in general the Fisher seems more refined and has a wider soundstage. On the other hand, the Fisher is a bit rolled off in the highs, and this isn't the most wonderful match with the HD600s, which in my opinion are already a little rolled off. Maybe since you already have a replacement cable that's brighter things might be just right for you. The Meta does have better highs. The bass on both units is also different, but not hugely so. The AD opamps really don't have the classic solid-state bass (which, IMHO, is a good thing), but I'd say that the Meta has slightly more solid bass, but the bass presentation is less realistic. The Fisher 400 also rocks with speakers, especially bright/harsh ones, because it sounds just right with them, not bright or harsh at all.

Nov 5, 2002 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 5
Wodgy,
your post makes me still yearn for a good SS amp. I agree the highs are a bit rolled off. Then again we'll see when I get my Tkfs.
Andrzej, remember The Fisher's are old. I'm still saving money for it's restoration. Then you got the tubes if you want to roll.
If anything I was wary of getting into tubed gear. I was happy with my Grados and CHA47. The sound is uh..different from SS. Now I am happier, but way poor!
Hope this helps,
md

Nov 5, 2002 at 5:11 AM Post #4 of 5
Millerdog, I found that the Fisher X-100-C actually had slightly better highs than the Fisher 400. The Fisher 400 had a little bit stronger bass, but it was also a bit "woolier" and less controlled, so there wasn't a clear winner there. In either case it's not a huge issue with Grados, because they already have pretty good highs, and can sometimes even be too bright with some equipment. Sennheisers are a whole different story though; at least with the stock cable they seem to be somewhat dark. I never liked the Senns enough to buy a new cable for them, but I can understand why some people prefer them.

Nov 6, 2002 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks Wodgy,
What I meant was there is no longer the sibilance I heard with my Grados anymore.
Andrzej, I didn't mean to talk you out of this amp. I just wanted to let you know that there is more there than you have read. I am toobified! I think you have the upgraded cables on your senns so if you get to listen to one of these, you'll like em. This is definately an inexpensive way to get into tubes.
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back