Fischer DBA-02 MKII - Impressions and review thread: CK10 threatened!
Jan 27, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #352 of 400
  How is the sound (detail, sound stage & separation) comparion between DBA-02MKII vs:

1) Heir 3.Ai ($299)

2) Hifiman-RE400 ($99)

Compared to the RE-400 the Fischers are clear step up in SQ, significantly superior detail, speed, clarity, separation and sound stage. But it comes at the cost of a much harsher presentation. I like a presentation on the bright side, but the Fischers require EQing to reduce treble otherwise they are sibilant and very metallic sounding. They do respond well to EQing and I have stuck with them over the RE-400s. But if I wanted to slim down and and not use an amp I reckon I'd go back to the RE-400.

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #357 of 400
Great pigmode, the Centrance Hifi-M8 is my best upgrade for my Ety ER4PT, Phonak PFE232 & Fischer Audio DBA02 MkII. Just remember to lift the bass boost a notch up for your DBA02 and I'm sure you won't regret it.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #358 of 400
Francisk, impressive unit! Are you using it as a portable, transportable, or a home unit? I'm trying to read up on it now. Would you say the DBA 02 MKII is responding primarily to the amplification, the DAC, or both?

I'm currently pretty uninformed about portable equipment. Been pretty happy with my (older ver.) UE700 straight through a MacBook Pro, but found it to sound pretty thin out of an ipod Shuffle.

P.S. I may stop off on the way home to pick up an ipod Nano 7th--hope that's not a mistake....

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #359 of 400
Hi pigmode, I'm using my Hifi-M8 as a portable setup with my iPhone 4S and at home with my desktop & laptop. It works flawlessly in portable & desktop mode. The DAC section is way better than my iPhone 4S or laptop's & desktop's built in DAC and the amp section is powerful enough to drive any cans on the planet. In other words, the DAC/Amp combi actually contributes to the great sound of the Hifi-M8. Besides that it even has bass & treble EQ switches for compensation. This EQ is unlike the conventional EQ that muddies up the lower mid if you apply a bass boost or a high mid spike when you apply a treble boost. The good thing is that the Hifi-M8's EQ leaves your mid pretty much untouched when you do your EQ. This is why it works so well with my Ety ER4PT and my DBA02-MkIi. Besides that it has some very cool features like impedance switch to match your headphones and also a gain switch too. It's truly the best investment I made for my headphones. You can read more about it at Centrance' website. Btw I don't work for Centrance, I'm just a very happy customer who'd like to share my good experience with the Hifi-M8 with my fellow Headfiers :etysmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back