Fischer Audio rebranding only?
Aug 25, 2010 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Grimloki

100+ Head-Fier

Fischer Audio's master series of headphones all seem to be Yoga Electronics headphones, rebranded. Specs match. I think they changed the logo, but thats all I see that's different.

http://www.yoga.com.tw

CD-880 and CD-990 in the Yoga Monitor series are FA-002s and FA-003s.
CD-68 is the FA-004
CD-300 is the FA-005

I'd be happy to be proven wrong here. 

Aug 25, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 12
FA already make it clear that they do use generic housing for most of their headphone but tune their sound themselves in their own lab. It is not something uncommon in the business, just look at Grado iGi

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
FA already make it clear that they do use generic housing for most of their headphone but tune their sound themselves in their own lab. It is not something uncommon in the business, just look at Grado iGi

This exactly is your answer. And yes, Yoga is their OEM for some products. Also, some of their products were developed with Yoga but are not exclusive to FA. They're not big enough in volume to request everything to be exclusive to them. So it's not so much 'rebranding' as some of their models not being exclusive to them (though as of yet and to the best of my knowledge FA is still the one receiving those models). It makes sense to me.

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 12
There's a significant stated difference between the sensitivity of the FA-002/003 and the Yoga equivalents.  It points to a different pair of drivers, which could make a significant difference to the sound quality.

Sep 3, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 12
I don't see where FA has stated that they use generic housing. I also don't think it's common for other HP manufacturers to use generic housing for a large part of their product line. Maybe I just haven't seen them?!
I find such a practice suspicious. The customer is to believe that FA cannot afford to make their own housings but can do the R & D to make a better driver? I would think that making the driver is the hard part!

Sep 3, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 12
I don't see a problem. They are investing their money in driver development primarily it seems. Audeze used a generic shell for their headphones initially until they could develop their own.

Sep 3, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #10 of 12
How do we know that they are developing drivers? Has anyone heard the Yoga phones? This is the best opportunity for DBT on full-size phones ever! I am not saying anything bad about FA. Maybe they are developing drivers and putting them in Yoga housings, or maybe not. I would suspect that they are using the Yoga drivers and tweaking the sound signature. They do have the same impedance. I wonder what FA's mark-up is?

Sep 3, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 12
That's because you simply don't know the market enough. Meet Foster Japan, the one of the largest headphone OEM in the world with clients like Sony, Panasonic, Creative, Audio-Technica, Denon, etc. Just look at their current selection of OEM products and you can find the same looking products in many of their clients.

Quote:
I also don't think it's common for other HP manufacturers to use generic housing for a large part of their product line. Maybe I just haven't seen them?!
I find such a practice suspicious.

Sep 3, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for the link ClieOS. I wonder if Denon uses their own drivers? How do we know? I also wonder how the Foster phones sound? It seems logical to think that if we can't prove that these companies use different drivers then we should assume that they don't. I guess I'm pretty naive about manufacturing:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back